THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My M235i thanks to this Forum

07-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Datsumaniac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I, Datsun 240Z, 510

My M235i thanks to this Forum

On October of 2018 I began my search for a low mile 2016 M235I Estoril Blue Metallic with black interior. I had been a long time Infiniti fan and had never owned a BMW before. However, after Infiniti went to steer by wire (Dear God why?) I gave up on the brand. It was then that I began to consider different options.

I currently owned a 1973 Datsun 240Z and 1972 Datsun 510 better known in the 70s as the poor man’s BMW. Yes,.. Yes, I know what you’re wondering. Does this dude listen to Disco music? Sometimes I do and the Harman Kardon system sounds very nice.

The Datsun 510 was the first car I ever owned when I was 16 years old. This was the car that I loved to drive the most due to its independent suspension and the way the car handled on the track and off the track. If you are not familiar with the history of this little Japanese coupes and sedans, I encourage you to learn about them.

Ok back to my M235I. I had been searching high and low for a low mileage one. I learned to my disappointment that the M235i did not come standard with a LSD differential. However, the rest of its attributes were winning me over very quickly. One of my coworkers drove one and I secretly admired the car.

Here in Florida, it was difficult to find one that was not wrecked, abused, or way overpriced by the dealership. Under heavy skepticism, I had been eyeing a two owner 2016 M235I with 20,100 miles and remaining BMW warranty on a popular internet sales venue that was pushing all my buttons. I noticed that the car had some cosmetic options I had not seen on other BMW M235I's. This was one of those websites where they post pictures and your buying experience is fully 100% virtual. You don’t get to see, touch, smell, or taste the car until it is delivered.

I decided to do some searching around and through the Magic of the internet I googled the VIN # and WAAAALA!! It was here on this Forum that I found the original owner’s posting of the car. There I learned that the car had been meticulously taken cared off and that the car was delivered to the original owner at the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg County, South Carolina. There were well documented pictures and all kinds of information. I made contact with the first owner and he was gracious enough to talk to me about the car. He provided me via FedEx with the original BMW Performance Center birth certificate. Luckily for me he kept it. I found out also who the second owner had been because he left a receipt with his name and address in the car but I did not care to speak to him. Seeing the condition, he had left the car spoke volumes to me. Luckily, he only drove it less than 8000 miles before he traded it in for another car.

The car was special ordered with the following:

Black kidney grilles
Carbon fiber mirror caps
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Stainless steel pedals
Carbon fiber and alcantara trim
Carbon fiber selector lever
Front splitter - black
Limited slip differential (WOhoooooooo!!!!!!)
M performance exhaust with rear diffuser

I was a nervous wreck for 2 weeks. Butterflies in my stomach were the size of seagulls by the second week. You have to use a little imagination and go against all your years of car buying experience to use this type of buying experience. No technical information is offered on the website, the pictures are not very good, and the options they list for the car were basic model options. However, I just had a feeling that there was more to this car than the dealer website was disclosing.

Upon delivery of the car on May22nd of this year it was obvious that the second owner was not as nice to the car as the first owner whom I had been chatting with. However, after some detailing and some TLC the car is now back to its original glory. The LSD makes this car so much fun I can’t stop laughing when it starts sliding and you power through the apex. It reminds me of my Datsun 510 but on steroids.

At the end of my experience I was under $27000 including taxes and the virtual dealership stepped in to replace the cracked front splitter and other small details to make me happy. Thank you for allowing me to post my story. I have enjoyed reading other’s posts and learning about my car.

Original Post: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1295947
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
griddle11.00
drexplode1780.50
mb67152.00
Miata1387.00
Dylan861330.00
      07-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

A very good lucking machine.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsumaniac View Post
The car was special ordered with the following:

Black kidney grilles
Carbon fiber mirror caps
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Stainless steel pedals
Carbon fiber and alcantara trim
Carbon fiber selector lever
Front splitter - black
Limited slip differential (WOhoooooooo!!!!!!)
M performance exhaust with rear diffuser

Original Post: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1295947
Beautiful car -- nice find! Congrats. Those are some expensive add-ons if you were to source them today.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

OP contacted me a few months ago inquiring about my old 2er. It has been a pleasure exchanging notes and updates along the way of the revival to showroom condition. Enjoy OP - i'm sure it will serve you will for a long time.

I want my car back!! haha
Attached Images

Last edited by drexplode; 07-15-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
mb67152.00