THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics ECU software update /w Aftermarket Amp & ASD Bypass?

03-29-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

ECU software update /w Aftermarket Amp & ASD Bypass?

If you have an aftermarket amp, like a Match, with all the correct harnesses/adapters, and the Technic ASD Bypass Harness, will this hinder or interfere with a BMW software update?

I'm wondering if I have to put the factory stuff back for a software update. I'm hoping not, since the audio system is all analog.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
If you have an aftermarket amp, like a Match, with all the correct harnesses/adapters, and the Technic ASD Bypass Harness, will this hinder or interfere with a BMW software update?

I'm wondering if I have to put the factory stuff back for a software update. I'm hoping not, since the audio system is all analog.

Thanks!
The Technics bypass harness bypasses the speaker connections but keeps the module "alive". The Canbus will look for the amp but won't find so the software update will fail. Yes you should plug in your old amp before they attempt a software update.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
The Canbus will look for the amp but won't find so the software update will fail. Yes you should plug in your old amp before they attempt a software update.
Correct advice here. It's deep in the subforum, but this thread documents what happens when an ECU update is attempted when an aftermarket amp is hooked up.

This is one reason why, when I installed my own aftermarket amp, I did it while keeping the OEM one bolted in (but not hooked up). Here's my install thread.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Correct advice here. It's deep in the subforum, but this thread documents what happens when an ECU update is attempted when an aftermarket amp is hooked up.

This is one reason why, when I installed my own aftermarket amp, I did it while keeping the OEM one bolted in (but not hooked up). Here's my install thread.
Viffer. Couple or 3 years ago I did an aftermarket amp install on my MINI JCW. Same HK system. I kept the HK amp powered with the canbus wire running to it . No sound in or out. This way the amp was not used but showed up during updates.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Thanks guys. I thought I remembered reading somewhere it was problematic when updating software. I was hoping my memory was going bad
Appreciate 0