THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Washer fluid not working

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Washer fluid not working

Don't know if this is in the right spot but my washer fluid stopped workin. Been searching around a bit. Doesn't sound like the pump is working. Iam trying to start with the fuse but having trouble locating it. I found that diagram in the back fuse block but I don't really understand it. Can anyone help out? Thanx in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombem235 View Post
Don't know if this is in the right spot but my washer fluid stopped workin. Been searching around a bit. Doesn't sound like the pump is working. Iam trying to start with the fuse but having trouble locating it. I found that diagram in the back fuse block but I don't really understand it. Can anyone help out? Thanx in advance
Anyone know where the fuse is at?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
2748
Rep
1,719
Posts

Drives: F22 B58 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Fuse box is in front of your battery if I remember correctly. (remove your flip up center trunk carpet). Check the diagram for the fuse #... or post a pic of the diagram.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
955
Rep
2,155
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (6)

You should have a map/diagram stored with the rear fuse box in the trunk, in front of and to the right of the battery, under the forward section of the trunk floor panel.

The second fuse box is located in the engine compartment, on the right / passengers side of the car, under a triangular shaped plastic cover. This fuse box has a cover on it, that you have to remove to get to the fuses. Although it's in the engine compartment, it is "in front of" the glove box.

The washer fluid reservoir & pump are behind the inner wheel well cover on the front passenger/right side of the car.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1408636

No diagrams for F22s here, unfortunately, but the F30 or 1-series might get you close. https://fusesdiagram.com/category/bmw
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
436
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 2018 M240i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

What windshield washer fluid have you been using? You need to use only the stuff from the dealer as it's formulated so that it doesn't clog the pump and the hoses. Why? High under hood temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
You should have a map/diagram stored with the rear fuse box in the trunk, in front of and to the right of the battery, under the forward section of the trunk floor panel.

The second fuse box is located in the engine compartment, on the right / passengers side of the car, under a triangular shaped plastic cover. This fuse box has a cover on it, that you have to remove to get to the fuses. Although it's in the engine compartment, it is "in front of" the glove box.

The washer fluid reservoir & pump are behind the inner wheel well cover on the front passenger/right side of the car.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408636

No diagrams for F22s here, unfortunately, but the F30 or 1-series might get you close. https://fusesdiagram.com/category/bmw
What does this mean?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
What windshield washer fluid have you been using? You need to use only the stuff from the dealer as it's formulated so that it doesn't clog the pump and the hoses. Why? High under hood temperatures.
How would i go about cleaning it out?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #8
designatedposter
Captain
174
Rep
641
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: ct

iTrader: (0)

if you're looking for some sort of drain-o that you can pour into your washer tank.. i don't think that exists. you'd need to remove the tank and pump and clean it manually.

at this point, if it's cheap enough, you might as well buy a new pump so you don't have to do the job twice.

the 2 series is a little tighter than the 3 series based on my memory of removing mine. i recall there being some plastic pop rivets that you'll either have to replace or have to go fishing for the stem in the fender after you've punched it out.
__________________
M235i rwd 6mt
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #9
shadowfax
Private First Class
1289
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Sunshine Bimmers

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
What windshield washer fluid have you been using? You need to use only the stuff from the dealer as it's formulated so that it doesn't clog the pump and the hoses. Why? High under hood temperatures.
Is distilled water an acceptable alternative to use?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:03 AM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
aerobod's Avatar
3524
Rep
3,528
Posts

Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Is distilled water an acceptable alternative to use?
It is best to use an ethanol or methanol fluid with detergent, the standard sort available that can be used in summer or winter. The problem comes from fluids with windshield additives that promote water beading (such as Rain-X) or cleaning additives that are not just a plain detergent.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Is distilled water an acceptable alternative to use?
It is best to use an ethanol or methanol fluid with detergent, the standard sort available that can be used in summer or winter. The problem comes from fluids with windshield additives that promote water beading (such as Rain-X) or cleaning additives that are not just a plain detergent.
Never used rainx additives. It just stopped. I dont my pump is running. No leaking fluid anywhere. Just wanted to start with the fuse. Had my windshield replaced recently. Would that have anything to do with it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #12
msej449
msej449
msej449's Avatar
United Kingdom
499
Rep
712
Posts

Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Coast UK & Swiss Alps

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You first need to answer the question - what washer additive have you been using?

This is because if you've been using BMW Concentrate, then it narrows-down the number of possible causes. The odds are it's just a faulty motor that needs replacing.

But if you've been using 3rd-party concentrate, then there are more possibilities for why it's not working and you probably have more work on your hands to correct the issue than just replacing the motor.

Yes, in any case, it's worth replacing the fuse and if the motor works again, you'll be able to flush the system out by disconnecting the hose at the nozzle and running clean water through until it's clear. Once you have clear water at the nozzles, then you would use BMW additive exclusively from now on. This would obviate well-known problems of the washer system 'gunking up' when some 3rd-party additives are used.

But if replacing the fuse has no effect, then you probably have a lot of work on your hands to get to the washer reservoir and pump and see what's happened. Worst case scenario you have to replace the reservoir and the pump and then have to flush the pipes.

In any event, it helps us to know if you've been using BMW additive exclusively, or been using 3rd. party additive (or a mix of BMW and 3rd Party).
__________________
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue & Oyster
2023 Peugeot e-208 GT (electric)

Last edited by msej449; 08-15-2022 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #13
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
You first need to answer the question - what washer additive have you been using?

This is because if you've been using BMW Concentrate, then it narrows-down the number of possible causes. The odds are it's just a faulty motor that needs replacing.

But if you've been using 3rd-party concentrate, then there are more possibilities for why it's not working and you probably have more work on your hands to correct the issue than just replacing the motor.

Yes, in any case, it's worth replacing the fuse and if the motor works again, you'll be able to flush the system out by disconnecting the hose at the nozzle and running clean water through until it's clear. Once you have clear water at the nozzles, then you would use BMW additive exclusively from now on. This would obviate well-known problems of the washer system 'gunking up' when some 3rd-party additives are used.

But if replacing the fuse has no effect, then you probably have a lot of work on your hands to get to the washer reservoir and pump and see what's happened. Worst case scenario you have to replace the reservoir and the pump and then have to flush the pipes.

In any event, it helps us to know if you've been using BMW additive exclusively, or been using 3rd. party additive (or a mix of BMW and 3rd Party).
I just filled it up with gas station blend. But it wasn't working before that. Other than that its been filled up at the dealer and a certified bmw shop when i got an oil change. I still dont know how to locate the fuse
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #14
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
You first need to answer the question - what washer additive have you been using?

This is because if you've been using BMW Concentrate, then it narrows-down the number of possible causes. The odds are it's just a faulty motor that needs replacing.

But if you've been using 3rd-party concentrate, then there are more possibilities for why it's not working and you probably have more work on your hands to correct the issue than just replacing the motor.

Yes, in any case, it's worth replacing the fuse and if the motor works again, you'll be able to flush the system out by disconnecting the hose at the nozzle and running clean water through until it's clear. Once you have clear water at the nozzles, then you would use BMW additive exclusively from now on. This would obviate well-known problems of the washer system 'gunking up' when some 3rd-party additives are used.

But if replacing the fuse has no effect, then you probably have a lot of work on your hands to get to the washer reservoir and pump and see what's happened. Worst case scenario you have to replace the reservoir and the pump and then have to flush the pipes.

In any event, it helps us to know if you've been using BMW additive exclusively, or been using 3rd. party additive (or a mix of BMW and 3rd Party).

So yea. Checked the for any pump noise donít hear anything? Fuse in trunk just shows that car on a lift for fuse locations? Any suggestions on how to locate or should i just just pulling all the fuses to check them? And it wasnít working before i added the generic fluid to it. I thought it was out and thats why i added sum. Thanx
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 12:08 PM   #15
msej449
msej449
msej449's Avatar
United Kingdom
499
Rep
712
Posts

Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Coast UK & Swiss Alps

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I can't help you with the fuse situation, I'm afraid, as I've never touched the fuses.

I think you probably need to take it to a dealer or independent so they can at least diagnose whether the pump is dead or not. If it's just a blown fuse then the pump can be run, you/they can flush the system with tap water, and then fill it using the BMW stuff.

Or they'll confirm the pump is dead and you'll have to decide on a DIY replacement/flush/fill-up, or let them do it for you.
__________________
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue & Oyster
2023 Peugeot e-208 GT (electric)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:25 PM   #16
zombem235
Private First Class
zombem235's Avatar
14
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2015 m235i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Replaced pump and cleaned tank and hoses with distilled water. Nice and easy. No more gas station washer fluid. Lol
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST