THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics powering a Dashcam using rear-view mirror/rain sensor

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2023, 10:11 PM   #23
USVIJIM
Enlisted Member
United_States
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Be careful installing and just take your time, especially taking the pieces apart. I scratched my tint but it's barely noticeable. Good luck
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      01-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #24
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
175
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Caldwell, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
Be careful installing and just take your time, especially taking the pieces apart. I scratched my tint but it's barely noticeable. Good luck
I also have a mirror tap for my V2 in there. I am not worried and will take my time for sure. Thanks for the caution. I hear you.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
USVIJIM14.00
      01-26-2023, 01:30 PM   #25
ehosca
Enlisted Member
ehosca's Avatar
14
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
I am looking at this solution as well. Looks perfect. Any experience with one yet?

///Rich
It works really well so far. I got the dual-camera setup so I can have full visual coverage front and back.

It's not the best image quality but for accident documentation for insurance purposes I think it's more than adequate. The software allows you to change resolution.
Pros:
* Super simple install, clean OEM looks, no wires lighter adapter cables, no cutting/splicing etc.

A few cons:
* Connecting to the camera is a bit non-intuitive. With the FitCam App installed you connect your cellphone to the Wifi access point that's built into the cam and have to disable your cellular data to get a live-picture. I use an iPhone14 and unless I turn off cellular data I can't get a live feed picture from the dashcam. I happened to have an older cellphone with no service lying around so I repurposed it to connect and monitor the camera. You can always remove the SD-Card but I try not to do that when the camera is powered on. The camera came with a USB adapter plug that you can stick the SD-Card into to transfer files to your computer directly. Downloading videos to your cellphone wirelessly from the camera is slow.

* After the install, if I put the wipers in Automatic mode they will start wiping even when there's no rain. I'm not sure why this is happening but it doesn't really bother me for the time being. I typically don't use the auto wiper mode, but I am curious if it's related to the camera.

Overall I think it's a pretty effective way to provide proof incase of an accident etc.

One other point: Ring is releasing a similar device this month that might be an option to consider if you already have other Ring products like the doorbell, thermostat etc. It looks to be a similar ease of install and uses the ODB2 port for power so it can have better parking mode protection. Might be worth checking out.

https://ring.com/products/car-cam

Last edited by ehosca; 01-26-2023 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: fixing typos
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      03-13-2023, 05:24 PM   #26
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
29
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: '16 M235i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: CA Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I have a Mirror Tap/Blendmount/Escort Redline/Escort M2 dashcam. nice, clean setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:59 PM   #27
flybywire
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335D, 2015 F22 M235i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rockville, MD, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [8.50]
another install

I tapped the red/white and brown wires off the smaller connector in the mirror housing and connected a 12V-microUSB converter to power a ROAV dashcam.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 05:57 PM   #28
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
175
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Caldwell, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Perfect. Thanks I will post a sample when mine arrives and I get it installed. This looks like a great solution. Practically invisible and works.

///Rich
Found the time to install this today and it was not only an easy and quick install, the quality is better than I would have expected. I would have attached a sample, trust me it is GREAT, but didn't want to load it to YouTube so ....

A few thoughts. The camera is attached inside the shell which is two parts like the OEM one. Before you to do the install, watch the video that the QR that comes with the unit goes to AND, take some care separating the halves before you start. It comes with a trim tool and everything is straightforward.

The APP installed easily and worked flawlessly but be sure the resolution is what you want as the default is not full 4K. The instructions also say to reformat the MicroSD card but I did not do that and it all worked. I also set it to do 3 minute clips, 1.5 is the default, and when the card fills, the old ones are written over.

For me, it was less than a half hour start to finish. I bought mine directly from FitCamX.com and found a coupon code that made it a really good deal. Amazon has them too a bit more expensive but you can send it back easily if for whatever reason if you don't like it.

All in all I am happy as it looks OEM and works better than I would have thought. And I think a good value as well.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      04-16-2023, 03:42 AM   #29
Darkie02
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW 240i
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybywire View Post
I tapped the red/white and brown wires off the smaller connector in the mirror housing and connected a 12V-microUSB converter to power a ROAV dashcam.
thanks for the pic just what i was looking for
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #30
BoBaugh@Ymail.com
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 528I-F10/ BMW X5-F15
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehosca View Post
this is fantastic. do you have any schematics or wiring diagrams?

I came across: https://dongar.tech/collections/adapters but they do not offer a BMW compatible adapter...
I Purchased the one for Porsche The
Porsche3pin for my 2016 X5-F15 Its a perfect fit !
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 10:54 AM   #31
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
Video quality is decent for my use case, just in case I need it for Insurance. May be able to figure a polarized lens for some of the reflections. Sits back a few inches from the glass so it's to be expected. Night reflection from drive. Still works for me as I'm not trying to film the next fast and furious with this, that's what the GoPro is for


Thx for the video. I went to their site and don't see fitment specifically for my 2017 230i. The F22 starts with 3 series and up. I emailed the co but wondering why the 230i isn't listed. Am I missing something?

I am looking for a dash cam where I don't have to splice/tap or run wires as I am not technically savvy so ease of install is paramount.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 11:15 AM   #32
USVIJIM
Enlisted Member
United_States
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

I got mine from Amazon, I would think the 228 has the same rear view mirror

Fitcamx 4K Dash Cam Suitable for BMW F Chassis (Model A) 1 2 3 4 5 7 Series X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7, Integrated OEM Style, UHD 2160P Video, WiFi & APP, Loop Recording, G-Sensor, Easy to Use, 64GB Card https://a.co/d/6Uf3XDX
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      11-19-2023, 12:10 PM   #33
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
I got mine from Amazon, I would think the 228 has the same rear view mirror

Fitcamx 4K Dash Cam Suitable for BMW F Chassis (Model A) 1 2 3 4 5 7 Series X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7, Integrated OEM Style, UHD 2160P Video, WiFi & APP, Loop Recording, G-Sensor, Easy to Use, 64GB Card https://a.co/d/6Uf3XDX
thx, I may pull the trigger. I have been duped by Amazon recently with faux products so a bit leery but I believe the dash cam is China-built regardless.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #34
USVIJIM
Enlisted Member
United_States
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

No issues, works great. I paired it with a Samsung EVO plus card. Quality is fine, don't expect GoPro quality, still a cheap camera. It blends in so nicely and that's the best part.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      11-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #35
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
No issues, works great. I paired it with a Samsung EVO plus card. Quality is fine, don't expect GoPro quality, still a cheap camera. It blends in so nicely and that's the best part.
ok I just ordered it. Thanks for your input. What size card did you get? Was installation as easy as it looks, did the mirror piece come off easily?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #36
USVIJIM
Enlisted Member
United_States
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Card from Amazon below, install is not bad just take your time. The edges are sharp and I scratched my tint. Not really noticable. If I could do it again I would have covered the windshield with paper and painters tape to protect.


SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WB1857W...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      11-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #37
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
Card from Amazon below, install is not bad just take your time. The edges are sharp and I scratched my tint. Not really noticable. If I could do it again I would have covered the windshield with paper and painters tape to protect.


SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WB1857W...p_mob_ap_share
thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:40 AM   #38
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Found the time to install this today and it was not only an easy and quick install, the quality is better than I would have expected. I would have attached a sample, trust me it is GREAT, but didn't want to load it to YouTube so ....

A few thoughts. The camera is attached inside the shell which is two parts like the OEM one. Before you to do the install, watch the video that the QR that comes with the unit goes to AND, take some care separating the halves before you start. It comes with a trim tool and everything is straightforward.

The APP installed easily and worked flawlessly but be sure the resolution is what you want as the default is not full 4K. The instructions also say to reformat the MicroSD card but I did not do that and it all worked. I also set it to do 3 minute clips, 1.5 is the default, and when the card fills, the old ones are written over.

For me, it was less than a half hour start to finish. I bought mine directly from FitCamX.com and found a coupon code that made it a really good deal. Amazon has them too a bit more expensive but you can send it back easily if for whatever reason if you don't like it.

All in all I am happy as it looks OEM and works better than I would have thought. And I think a good value as well.

///Rich
Was separating the rear view mirror shell a difficult task? I will be receiving my cam (actually son's) soon and will install after Xmas. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #39
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
2764
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: F22 B58 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

The worst part is the awkward location. A trim tool or old credit card can pry it apart easy enough. Start at the top and work your way down to the next "latch", don't just rip it apart as the connectors are thin plastic.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      11-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #40
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The worst part is the awkward location. A trim tool or old credit card can pry it apart easy enough. Start at the top and work your way down to the next "latch", don't just rip it apart as the connectors are thin plastic.
OK, start at windshield and work towards me, are there 2,3 "latches"? thanks a bunch! Does the wiring disconnect like the usual connectors?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:47 PM   #41
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
2764
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: F22 B58 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
OK, start at windshield and work towards me, are there 2,3 "latches"? thanks a bunch! Does the wiring disconnect like the usual connectors?
I've had mine apart various times for power tapping and even replacing the entire mirror but I can't remember if it pulls off easily or not... I think it pulls out without any other secondary lever or latch.

This thread has a good picture of the black plug. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998321

Depending on how you are planning on tapping into the power. You can leave it connected.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      01-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #42
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIJIM View Post
I got mine from Amazon, I would think the 228 has the same rear view mirror

Fitcamx 4K Dash Cam Suitable for BMW F Chassis (Model A) 1 2 3 4 5 7 Series X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7, Integrated OEM Style, UHD 2160P Video, WiFi & APP, Loop Recording, G-Sensor, Easy to Use, 64GB Card https://a.co/d/6Uf3XDX
ready to do the install. the video from FITCAMX seems to show two plugs disconnected at the mirror but the supplied harness only allows for one connection to the factory connector. Is it two and how is that done or is it simply the lower plug that attaches to the supplied harness? Thanks for any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:59 PM   #43
Artdnj
Captain
Artdnj's Avatar
United_States
394
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2023 X3 X30i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Garden State

iTrader: (0)

Trying to install the FITCAMX and having a difficult time snapping the two new pieces together. In the process the mirror itself unclipped from the windshield piece. Does anyone know how to reattached the rearview mirror. It looks like there are two metal hooks on each side. I donít know if it slides up or if I have to pry those metal clips in some fashion. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #44
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
2764
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: F22 B58 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

The mirror slides on the metal hooks parallel with the windshield. It usually takes a lot of force to remove, that's strange it came off by itself.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST