THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Break in period

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
mankid247
Wingman
mankid247's Avatar
98
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wayzata, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Break in period

I am going to do ed on an m235 sometime in the spring and seeing as how I would get a chance to drive on some fast roads and what not wanted to push the car a little, one thing that I was wondering is how far can I push it speed and rpm wise without having to worry about the break in? My brother is a big enthusiast and he just got a new 335 in the fall and would not go over 3-4 thousand rpm for the first 1200 miles
__________________
2014 F22 M235i
2014 F30 335xi M Sport
2014 F31 328d M Sport // 2012 E70 X5 50i
2009 E60 M5 // 2004 E46 M3
2007 E70 X5 3.0si // 2004 Merc S55 AMG
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
551
Rep
2,331
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankid247
I am going to do ed on an m235 sometime in the spring and seeing as how I would get a chance to drive on some fast roads and what not wanted to push the car a little, one thing that I was wondering is how far can I push it speed and rpm wise without having to worry about the break in? My brother is a big enthusiast and he just got a new 335 in the fall and would not go over 3-4 thousand rpm for the first 1200 miles
Two schools of thought on this:

1. By the book: until 1200 miles, keep revs low and varied (i.e. don't drone away at 2k rpm on the highway) and never, ever approach WOT in any gear.

2. Race Car Style: gun it from day one. Score the cylinders early and it'll be good for life.

In either case. Do what BMW requires of M cars, get the fluids changed after break in (oil, 6MT fluid and particularly the diff fluid if you LSD). With all the metals burrs in the first run oil, it's money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
M.barnes
Lieutenant
30
Rep
599
Posts

Drives: 123d
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rugby, uk

iTrader: (0)

Under 4k for 1200 miles is run in on m235i then oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
127
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235 manual
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbia, S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Please don't turn this into the 1,000th when do we need to change the oil threads. Literally this has been discussed on every vehicle BMW makes and about every 6-8 weeks when a new person buys one and doesn't use the thread search.
__________________
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
963
Rep
10,506
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
The question here is not if the engine will get properly broken-in buy rather if you're out on the autobahn and not live it.

I did ED back in 2005 and drove my car to 140 mph...no regrets and still have the car today

Also when they QC the car from the factory do dino up to 120mph
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
mankid247
Wingman
mankid247's Avatar
98
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wayzata, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi
The question here is not if the engine will get properly broken-in buy rather if you're out on the autobahn and not live it.

I did ED back in 2005 and drove my car to 140 mph...no regrets and still have the car today
And that's what I was looking for... Did you work up to it or did you put the throttle down more or less?
__________________
2014 F22 M235i
2014 F30 335xi M Sport
2014 F31 328d M Sport // 2012 E70 X5 50i
2009 E60 M5 // 2004 E46 M3
2007 E70 X5 3.0si // 2004 Merc S55 AMG
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
963
Rep
10,506
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankid247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi
The question here is not if the engine will get properly broken-in buy rather if you're out on the autobahn and not live it.

I did ED back in 2005 and drove my car to 140 mph...no regrets and still have the car today
And that's what I was looking for... Did you work up to it or did you put the throttle down more or less?
Didnt redline it or at least not long
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
S.hasan546
Captain
23
Rep
689
Posts

Drives: Evora 400, GTI, S2k, Pilot
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

its more important to break in your brake pads and tires semi-gently. first couple of hundred miles
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
Greenkirby21's Avatar
United_States
227
Rep
2,608
Posts

Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
If I was doing ED I would go on the autobahn and nurburgring! That's why you are there right

As long as you don't kill the car, I think you should be ok! Just make sure the engine is warm
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
mattssi
Lieutenant
33
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (1)

I've NEVER done a break-in period on a vehicle. If you did ED, you'd be losing out. Drive it like it should - nothing will happen. If they can't make a car that can be driven hard off the lot - f em.
__________________
2019 X3
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Math
First Lieutenant
Math's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 116D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I've NEVER done a break-in period on a vehicle. If you did ED, you'd be losing out. Drive it like it should - nothing will happen. If they can't make a car that can be driven hard off the lot - f em.
+1 on this!
__________________

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
145
Rep
2,142
Posts

Drives: Mineral/Glacier White
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I've NEVER done a break-in period on a vehicle. If you did ED, you'd be losing out. Drive it like it should - nothing will happen. If they can't make a car that can be driven hard off the lot - f em.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
81
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: F32 4er Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Just a small heads-up for everyone doing ED:

Most parts of the german Autobahn are limited, be careful to go only full-throttle on unlimited parts, otherwise you might loose a few $$$

Have fun.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
650
Rep
2,729
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Or you could do 140 MPH without redlining the car or ever exceeding 4000 RPM
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
963
Rep
10,506
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Or you could do 140 MPH without redlining the car or ever exceeding 4000 RPM
No way you can do 140 w/o exceeding 4k rpm...impossible
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
wdlfbio
Captain
45
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maple Valley, WA

iTrader: (1)

ED for a 328xi, hit 100 often but not 120 mph until after 1,200 miles. Second ED Z4 35is, didn't abuse redline, but waited for 160 mph until 1,200 miles. Plenty of spirited driving until the 1,200 mph. Next car might be the 235i and that will go from Munich to the Ring. If it blows up, that's what warranty is for .
__________________
'16 235i
'15 3500 HD Dually
'13 C4S
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
650
Rep
2,729
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Or you could do 140 MPH without redlining the car or ever exceeding 4000 RPM
No way you can do 140 w/o exceeding 4k rpm...impossible
It depends on gearing, on my ED trip driving my brand new E90 335, I was cruising along on the autobahn at 120 MPH at around 3500 RPM in 6th gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
w3rkn
Banned
10
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

BMW break-in:

Start the car and let it idle at least 5m before driving, then.. when it is @ operating temp.. it is yours do what u want.


Very simple!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3023
Rep
8,052
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
BMW break-in:

Start the car and let it idle at least 5m before driving, then.. when it is @ operating temp.. it is yours do what u want.


Very simple!
Just about the worst idea, as undue idling is hard on a car, five minutes of idling is almost certainly not enough time to heat the oil and this will also do nothing for transmission temps.

Just ignoring break in protocol, the best way to warm up a car is to actually drive it. That way the transmission also warms up with the motor. Ideally, you'd rely on an engine oil temperature gauge, not a coolant gauge to determine when it's safe to bring the revs up. This is what recent M cars indicate with the variable redline. Most BMW manuals give you guidelines of what the oil temp should be at before exceeding 4k rpm and redlining.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
w3rkn
Banned
10
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just about the worst idea, as undue idling is hard on a car, five minutes of idling is almost certainly not enough time to heat the oil and this will also do nothing for transmission temps.

Just ignoring break in protocol, the best way to warm up a car is to actually drive it. That way the transmission also warms up with the motor. Ideally, you'd rely on an engine oil temperature gauge, not a coolant gauge to determine when it's safe to bring the revs up. This is what recent M cars indicate with the variable redline. Most BMW manuals give you guidelines of what the oil temp should be at before exceeding 4k rpm and redlining.

?

That is not what I have said.
I said START your car and leave idle for 5 minutes, before you drive away every morning, every night, every time. (specially if u have a turbo engine)

Then, while you are out & about driving casually, when the engine is at nominal, then u can have fun with it, and have no qualms. That doesn't mean take it to the track, or bounce it off the rev-limiter, it just means u need to know when it is ok to step into a fresh engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #21
nunka
perpetually salty
nunka's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: '13 AW 6MT 128i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
?

That is not what I have said.
I said START your car and leave idle for 5 minutes, before you drive away every morning, every night, every time. (specially if u have a turbo engine)
That's exactly what you said, and he's acknowledging that and saying it's bad. The official word from just about every BMW owner's manual (take that for what it's worth) is do not let your engine sit idle for any significant amount of time before driving it. Wastes gas, invites condensation build-up, does not actually do much warming up, etc etc. You "warm up" your car by driving it gently until it's at operating temps.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4263
Rep
9,835
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunka View Post
That's exactly what you said, and he's acknowledging that and saying it's bad. The official word from just about every BMW owner's manual (take that for what it's worth) is do not let your engine sit idle for any significant amount of time before driving it. Wastes gas, invites condensation build-up, does not actually do much warming up, etc etc. You "warm up" your car by driving it gently until it's at operating temps.
This is such an interesting conversation to me - I was at my Ducati dealer the other day and was having the same convo about my bike (I ride in the winter), so I was curious about his thoughts on the topic.

He said that you should let the bike warm up for a few minutes, especially in the cold. Mentioned that "allows the oil to heat up" before you start actually driving.

I have never let any of my cars or bikes warm up - unless it's for a minute or two running back into the house to get something in the morning. Not because I am mechanically inclined, but because I know it wastes gas.

Would there be any kind of difference between how you might handle a bike vs. a car in terms of warm up ? Just curious to see what you guys think.
__________________
Past rides: 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST