THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N55 HPFP Upgrade

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Smile N55 HPFP Upgrade

Gents,

Is there in anyway a possibility to upgrade the M235i N55 HPFP with lets say an M3 HPFP or an aftermarket one??

That will solve a huge number of problems

Looking forward for your thoughts
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
396
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: m235xi
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: b00ty

iTrader: (2)

Please list these problems and elaborate on the HPFP.

Only LPFP is available , stage 2 unit by Fuel It.
http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-stag...grade-options/

E85 compatible
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Please list these problems and elaborate on the HPFP.

Only LPFP is available , stage 2 unit by Fuel It.
http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-stag...grade-options/

E85 compatible
For me the problems are:

1. I have access only to 91oct fuel so upgrading the LPFP would not make sense as I understand from some research I've been doing.

2. when going for a higher boost level your aim is to prevent the car from having a lean AFR either by increasing fuel octane or volume. here is where the M3 HPFP swap/upgrade stock one comes in handy.

Because from what I gathered the HPFP is limiting factor for a guy like me with limited fueling options and I guess most of you would like the convenience of achieving good Whp numbers with crappy fuel like 91 oct
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Please list these problems and elaborate on the HPFP.

Only LPFP is available , stage 2 unit by Fuel It.
http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-stag...grade-options/

E85 compatible
The stock HPFP on the F-series N55 is undersized, to the point of running out of volume with FBO on 100oct, map7. I can even exceed the HPFP's capacity with a few consecutive long pulls on 91oct and map2.

When HPFP capacity is exceeded, the result is stumbles and misfires at high RPM.

Until I can figure out a better solution, I'm running an upgraded LPFP and a low-volume TBI setup from Fuel-It, with integrated control from a custom firmware JB4 and FSB (fail-safe box). My next step up will likely be JB4 integrated PI, but I'm also trying to find out if the S55 HPFP setup (dual pumps) can be retrofitted to the N55.

You can find more details on my setup in the forum dedicated to the JB4, in the N55 section.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
The stock HPFP on the F-series N55 is undersized, to the point of running out of volume with FBO on 100oct, map7. I can even exceed the HPFP's capacity with a few consecutive long pulls on 91oct and map2.

When HPFP capacity is exceeded, the result is stumbles and misfires at high RPM.

Until I can figure out a better solution, I'm running an upgraded LPFP and a low-volume TBI setup from Fuel-It, with integrated control from a custom firmware JB4 and FSB (fail-safe box). My next step up will likely be JB4 integrated PI, but I'm also trying to find out if the S55 HPFP setup (dual pumps) can be retrofitted to the N55.

You can find more details on my setup in the forum dedicated to the JB4, in the N55 section.
Please share your findings of the S55 HPFP setup if you found anything about it ... that would be awesome and everyone would do it if you ask me
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anas M235i View Post
Please share your findings of the S55 HPFP setup if you found anything about it ... that would be awesome and everyone would do it if you ask me
I've already discovered that a swap with new parts will cost more than the PI setups currently on offer... :-( I'm looking into salvage sourcing now.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Daleb
Second Lieutenant
104
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
The stock HPFP on the F-series N55 is undersized, to the point of running out of volume with FBO on 100oct, map7. I can even exceed the HPFP's capacity with a few consecutive long pulls on 91oct and map2.

When HPFP capacity is exceeded, the result is stumbles and misfires at high RPM.

Until I can figure out a better solution, I'm running an upgraded LPFP and a low-volume TBI setup from Fuel-It, with integrated control from a custom firmware JB4 and FSB (fail-safe box). My next step up will likely be JB4 integrated PI, but I'm also trying to find out if the S55 HPFP setup (dual pumps) can be retrofitted to the N55.

You can find more details on my setup in the forum dedicated to the JB4, in the N55 section.

Hey man has the FSB and jb4 integration help solve all the issues you were getting with daily driving? I spoke to you briefly in your thread on another forum.

Can you feel the transition from when TBI isn't activated to when it is activated or is it nice and smooth?

Also I presume you can control when TBI is on and off via the jb4 app and meth user settings?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Hey man has the FSB and jb4 integration help solve all the issues you were getting with daily driving? I spoke to you briefly in your thread on another forum.

Can you feel the transition from when TBI isn't activated to when it is activated or is it nice and smooth?

Also I presume you can control when TBI is on and off via the jb4 app and meth user settings?

Cheers
Can you be more specific about "issues...with daily driving" you're referring to?

Yes: I can feel the transition, but it's very smooth.

Yes: I can control when TBI is on or off with the single "meth trigger mode" user setting in the interface.

The other forum has full details about my progress, probably best to continue that thread for posterity's sake.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Daleb
Second Lieutenant
104
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Can you be more specific about "issues...with daily driving" you're referring to?

Yes: I can feel the transition, but it's very smooth.

Yes: I can control when TBI is on or off with the single "meth trigger mode" user setting in the interface.

The other forum has full details about my progress, probably best to continue that thread for posterity's sake.
Motorway passes in high gears, low rpm high Load situations, stalling at lights etc.

I'll keep an eye on the other forum thread and add to it when I get round to getting TBI and the LPFP on oem turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Motorway passes in high gears, low rpm high Load situations, stalling at lights etc.

I'll keep an eye on the other forum thread and add to it when I get round to getting TBI and the LPFP on oem turbo.
Ah, yes: those have been addressed with the custom firmware that allows me to very strictly limit when TBI fires.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I've already discovered that a swap with new parts will cost more than the PI setups currently on offer... :-( I'm looking into salvage sourcing now.
I guess so buying a new S55 HPFP would be expensive isn't it and also trying to retrofit it is another big cost on its own I can imagine.

but salvage sourcing the pump would be a great way to do it especially if there is a simple way to install the thing in an N55. can't wait for an update
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #12
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

here is something interesting I found about the S55 HPFP control scheme in boost addicts site:

boost addicts/showthread.php?68823-S55-N54-HPFP

what I understood is that it is similar to an N55 engine up to 3000rpm then the second piston pump starts to cover the extra fueling needed for the M3/M4 engine to achieve its power.


also the difference between N55 & S55 HPFP is one is single piston the other is double piston pump.

I hope someone who is more experienced in bmw engines can help us out here on the possibility of installing it in our N55
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

That's a great thread. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to give up on the S55 HPFP option: we don't have ECU control for the 2nd HPFP...
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
bryan_G01's Avatar
1106
Rep
1,915
Posts

Drives: x3 m40
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

http://www.dinancars.com/product/r42...?series=&mid=/

R420-0002
With increased power comes increased demand on the fueling system to satiate that demand. The modified Dinan® fuel pump allows the car to meet all the fueling demands under any conditions that may be faced when running at higher output under heavy engine load.

Give Dinan a call...
It is a race only part at this time...
__________________
www.nybmwcca.org
Motorsport Safety Foundation Certified Instructor
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90 View Post
http://www.dinancars.com/product/r42...?series=&mid=/

R420-0002
With increased power comes increased demand on the fueling system to satiate that demand. The modified Dinan® fuel pump allows the car to meet all the fueling demands under any conditions that may be faced when running at higher output under heavy engine load.

Give Dinan a call...
It is a race only part at this time...
Thanks for the pointer, but this cannot address the N55 HPFP's shortcomings.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Anas M235i's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
7
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Al-Khobar , Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90 View Post
http://www.dinancars.com/product/r42...?series=&mid=/

R420-0002
With increased power comes increased demand on the fueling system to satiate that demand. The modified Dinan® fuel pump allows the car to meet all the fueling demands under any conditions that may be faced when running at higher output under heavy engine load.

Give Dinan a call...
It is a race only part at this time...
I'm not sure it is a HPFP replacement which is what everyone is looking for at the moment
__________________
2014 M235i AW 8AT,
ER: FMIC & DP & CP ,
BMS: JB4 EWG(OBDII)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
drexplode
Colonel
drexplode's Avatar
United_States
847
Rep
2,386
Posts

Drives: G20 M340i PB
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Walled Lake Michigan

iTrader: (15)

S55 uses two high pressure pumps located on the vacuum pump. Replacing n55 high pressure pump with single s55 will not result in higher flow, possibly reduce.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
SPJR
Private First Class
SPJR's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
Thanks for the pointer, but this cannot address the N55 HPFP's shortcomings.
Not to revive an old thread but why wouldn't Dinan's modified HPFP resolve the issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
rwalker
Major
United_States
296
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: the wheels off
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJR View Post
Not to revive an old thread but why wouldn't Dinan's modified HPFP resolve the issues?
it's a modified LPFP, not HPFP
__________________
rwalker@rwalker.com (I really dislike Private Messaging)
Appreciate 4
      06-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #20
abirmaher
Lieutenant Colonel
abirmaher's Avatar
United_States
453
Rep
1,879
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (BSM/ 6SPD)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJR View Post
Not to revive an old thread but why wouldn't Dinan's modified HPFP resolve the issues?
it's a modified LPFP, not HPFP
And as far as lpfp fuel it makes a cheaper option that I've heard good reviews on.
__________________
2018 BMW M2 | Follow my build on Instagram @_m0010
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #21
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1505
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
And as far as lpfp fuel it makes a cheaper option that I've heard good reviews on.

out of curiosity...., where did you hear these good reviews?

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
abirmaher
Lieutenant Colonel
abirmaher's Avatar
United_States
453
Rep
1,879
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (BSM/ 6SPD)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
out of curiosity...., where did you hear these good reviews?

.
Nowhere specific but over my past few years with BMW's I've just always heard good about Fuel-It.
__________________
2018 BMW M2 | Follow my build on Instagram @_m0010
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST