THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Pure Turbos Stage II

09-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Pure Turbos Stage II

Just asking if anyone else has gone to the higher end of upgrades for the F22 (N55) engine? I was looking at the Pure Turbos Stage II turbo upgrade. WIth everything I would need it would only set me back $3,550 and that is not bad when they posted numbers of 528 WHP and 495 WTQ.

https://topgearsolutions.com/bmw-m23...urbo-upgrades/

If anyone has gone this route or a similar upgrade to their F22 I would love to hear your feedback. I have already maxed out on the available Bolt-on AM mods for my car.
Thanks,
David
      09-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1wheels View Post
Just asking if anyone else has gone to the higher end of upgrades for the F22 (N55) engine? I was looking at the Pure Turbos Stage II turbo upgrade. WIth everything I would need it would only set me back $3,550 and that is not bad when they posted numbers of 528 WHP and 495 WTQ.

If anyone has gone this route or a similar upgrade to their F22 I would love to hear your feedback. I have already maxed out on the available Bolt-on AM mods for my car.
Thanks,
David
Tons of posts on here. Search for pure stage 2. I have ps2 it's worthless without fuelling. So if you don't plan on extra fuel in some variety I wouldn't bother honestly.

But if you do a good custom tune and xdi hpfp with some e will blow most things away including your undies
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      09-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

Thanks for the advice, I was planning on having w/m injection added to the car. That in itself will be around $2k with a custom tank.
I currently run a VF tune who did you go through for your tune that you currently run?
Thanks,
David
      09-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Just wait until they come out with an even larger turbo than Stage 2! I got the XDI-60 HPFP and can’t wait to get everything installed. PI is less expensive, but the XDI HPFP are easier and capable of a lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Just wait until they come out with an even larger turbo than Stage 2! I got the XDI-60 HPFP and can’t wait to get everything installed. PI is less expensive, but the XDI HPFP are easier and capable of a lot.
The xdi pump is the best way to go. Skip wmi and pi. The hpfp is more tuneable then the other options and it's safer.

There is a bunch of big turbo kits out already, the reason I went pure was anything above 600hp the zf box is gonna have a hard time. I'm not wanting to have to replace or rebuild that when I can barely get traction out of 550hp.

I went mhd for the tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
c-m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
The xdi pump is the best way to go. Skip wmi and pi. The hpfp is more tuneable then the other options and it's safer.

There is a bunch of big turbo kits out already, the reason I went pure was anything above 600hp the zf box is gonna have a hard time. I'm not wanting to have to replace or rebuild that when I can barely get traction out of 550hp.

I went mhd for the tune.
What tires are you running? I just switched to Michelin PS4S and love them. Probably getting some rear R888Rs for the track after my pure turbo and XDI install.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I didn't plan on going any bigger than the Stage II because I would also start to worry about my 8 -speed ZF tranny. Did you pay the $2,250 for the XDI pump? That is the best price I found so far.
      09-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
c-m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't plan on going any bigger than the Stage II because I would also start to worry about my 8 -speed ZF tranny. Did you pay the $2,250 for the XDI pump? That is the best price I found so far.
I got the larger one (xdi-60). Got a deal on it from TTFS directly. Talk to Gabe. He will work with you!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I wanted to ask if any of you guys experienced problems with just aftermarket bolt-ons? I have the Dinan 2 core IC, Dinan CAI, Berger Mtrsprt Charge-pipe,VRSF catted down-pipe and VF's Stage II Tune.
My car runs great up until about 6k rpms then it will stumble and sputter. I have already replaced the coil packs as I had a Fault Code indicating that one was bad, but that did not solve the problem.
It will almost seem to clear itself out if I keep my foot in it. But my AFR gauge is reading very lean at that point so I figure that the factory pump cannot supply enough fuel at the high-end of the rpm range. If I decide not to go to a Pure Turbo Stage II set-up any recommendations as to whether I should replace the lpfp in the tank or should I spend the money on either the XDI or go with the Port-injection set-up from Elite Fueling Solutions?? What I don't like about the Elite is the entire intake assembly has to be removed to install their manifold spacer with the built in fuel rail. I feel the XDI system is much simpler to install and they send you the flash file for the pump configuration.
Thanks,
David
      09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I wanted to ask if any of you guys experienced problems with just aftermarket bolt-ons? I have the Dinan 2 core IC, Dinan CAI, Berger Mtrsprt Charge-pipe,VRSF catted down-pipe and VF's Stage II Tune.
My car runs great up until about 6k rpms then it will stumble and sputter. I have already replaced the coil packs as I had a Fault Code indicating that one was bad, but that did not solve the problem.
It will almost seem to clear itself out if I keep my foot in it. But my AFR gauge is reading very lean at that point so I figure that the factory pump cannot supply enough fuel at the high-end of the rpm range. If I decide not to go to a Pure Turbo Stage II set-up any recommendations as to whether I should replace the lpfp in the tank or should I spend the money on either the XDI or go with the Port-injection set-up from Elite Fueling Solutions?? What I don't like about the Elite is the entire intake assembly has to be removed to install their manifold spacer with the built in fuel rail. I feel the XDI system is much simpler to install and they send you the flash file for the pump configuration.
Thanks,
David
You should post logs but how much power is the car making?
Appreciate 1
Amack101.00
      09-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I spoke with Gabe @ TTFS and he suspects that the Factory hpfp is taking a shit at anything higher than 6k rpm's. My tune from VF does not allow for any Data Logging (SUCKS).
So, I am going to buy the $100 app from MHD that will allow me to do some Data Logging and then I am going to send it off to him to look at. Until I get the car running correctly I cannot be certain of actual power. VF shows dyno graphs that basically say with the AM parts that I have I should be around 395 WHP and 430 WTQ.
I have already pretty much decided to throw the VF tune in the trash, literally! They do not allow you to re-sell the tune even once it is unlocked from the car's ECU. For only $450 I can get the data logger or Monitor Module, Flasher Module, and $99 per each Map that I choose. I am either going to go with the Stage II or the Stage II+, if I upgrade my fuel system with the XDI-35. Then I would be able to go with the Stage II Pure Turbo and that should put me right around 500 WHP and 500 WTQ.
When I do get the car to run correctly with the parts it now has on it, the dyno is the first place I am headed!
      09-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #12
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Nope nobody's put a ps2 in their n55 yet
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

According to Amack, he is running the XDI-60 hpfp along with the Pure Turbos Stage II and MHD Tune with Water/Meth. He said he is making 550 WHP but did not want to go any higher for fear of putting the 8-speed ZF tranny at risk.
So far, that is my plan, I spoke with Gabe @ TTFS and will go with the XDI-35, which should be more than sufficient. Along with that the Pure Turbos Stage II and I am going to dump my VF tune to switch to MHD.
Total cost, NOT including labor is going to be right around $6k. But if I can get 500/500 WHP and WTQ I think it is a good investment.
My car may be a 2015 but only has 26,461 for mileage. It was a leased car with only one owner from Southern Cali, so mostly dry weather driving.

Last edited by F1wheels; 09-11-2019 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #14
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Are you saying that PURE is coming out with a larger turbo option?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
235Dude
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post

I went mhd for the tune.
Anyone know how much power can the manual trans handle? I'm assuming you guys with a stage 2 or 3 have atleast upgraded the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #16
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I just wanted to take a minute out to digress and say how much I appreciate guys like Jeff from Top Gear Solutions.
Yes, I have purchased product from them, but for this guy to not only answer the phone on a Monday morning, but spend a good 45 minutes to an hour talking with me and trying to help me sort out my 2015 M235i.
He spent all that time with me on the phone trying to help and give me his professional opinion while he was aware that I would not being making any purchases that day. I think in today's fast-paced social mediacised climate that people have really either forgotten or just do not have the well deserved appreciation for "Good Ol' Customer Service!"
Myself being 56 and a paraplegic (paralyzed from the chest down, motorcycle accident 22 yrs ago) kind of grew up in a society that knew the value of people like him. With everyone with their faces buried in their phones and rushing to get from one place to another, seledom stop and take the time to appreciate the little things. You don't need to be in my shoes where you learn that the rug can get pulled out from under you anyday to take a minute of your time and thank someone for going that extra mile to make things just a bit easier for you. That also goes for the fellow members on here that go out of their way to answer a newbies question. I spent 14 yrs on the Bimmerforum when I had my 97' E36.
So once again thanks to Jeff and to anyone else that has taken the time to answer someone's question!
David
      09-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
You should post logs but how much power is the car making?
Jeff here are the Data Logs that you were asking for. If you look you will see that at high rpms I not only have a big discrepancy between the Target Boost and the Actual Boost (at sometimes not even being 50% of the target boost). I also have several instances where the Mean Fuel Pressure (actual rail pressure) does not meet the Requested Fuel Pressure. So is it more the fact that I am loosing boost maybe it is the fuel pressure issue or a combination of both? I purchased the GFB DV+ valve kit and the Fuel-It pump kit that contains the factory lines and connections with a Walboro 450 pump. I may still need to do the XDI-35 hpfp, almost a certainty if I go with the Pure Turbos Stage II kit!
Thanks,
David

https://datazap.me/u/f1wheels/log-15...og=0&data=3-13

These are a mix of logs the 1st being a straight 2nd gear pull, the 2nd a log of 2nd gear to 3rd, the 3rd being the first of a log from 2nd, to 3rd, and then to 4th gear the last one is the same just the second one that I did.
      09-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
c-m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Are you saying that PURE is coming out with a larger turbo option?
Yes. They plan on testing a slightly larger than Stage 2 Turbo. Not sure how much more power it will make yet. That being said, I just went with the PS2 for now and might try the new one later. It’s currently being installed with the stage 2 LPFP and XDI HPFP. I hope to be around 550/550 to the wheels. Don’t want to push the ZF8 like someone else mentioned here. I’ll be running pump gas 93 at first and then switch to e85.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #19
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Yes. They plan on testing a slightly larger than Stage 2 Turbo. Not sure how much more power it will make yet. That being said, I just went with the PS2 for now and might try the new one later. It’s currently being installed with the stage 2 LPFP and XDI HPFP. I hope to be around 550/550 to the wheels. Don’t want to push the ZF8 like someone else mentioned here. I’ll be running pump gas 93 at first and then switch to e85.
Thanks for the info. I'm also considering the stage 2. If they are considering cramming a slightly larger wheel into the OEM housing . . . Meh . . .
I think the Stage 2 is enough for my target for the car which is more conservative than yours.
Keep us posted on your journey.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #20
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

Quote:
Hello,
I am not trying to butt in on your conversation that you are having but I was curious as to what WHP and WTQ you are getting with your current set-up? Are you just running pump gas or do you also have any power adders like water/meth injection? Plus, what boost pressure are you running? On Top Gear Solutions they list two separate set of numbers, one for 18 psi and the other for 23 psi.
The first set is @ 18 psi with them getting 455.71 WHP and 469.88 WTQ
At 23 psi quite a bit more with 536.31 WHP and 494.89 WTQ
Also are you using a custom tune from Wedge Performance?
I just bought the lpfp and installed the Stage II+ tune from MHD and was quite pleased with the outcome. Prior to that I was running VF Engineering’s Stage II tune but experiencing violent misfires @ anything over 6K rpm. After I switched over to the MHD tune the car runs right up to redline every time with no misfires at all. I plan on going with the Pure Turbo Stage II myself. I wanted to know if you went with the XDI-35 that everyone recommends, some have even gone with the larger XDI-60? I would eventually add water/meth injection as well. But I too would begin to worry how much that ZF 8-speed auto can handle. And I still have yet to install the xHP TCU software that I purchased for it. I have a friend that is the Service Manager at a local tune shop here in the Pacific Northwest. He just got in a 2015 M235i just like my car with the Pure Turbo Stage II kit, the $275 Inlet Aluminum pipe, and he went with the Elite Fueling Systems Port Injection kit, that uses a one-piece billet aluminum manifold spacer, with the fuel rail built right in. I guess he did this if he ever wants to go beyond what most people have done referring to the size of turbo. I know Elite claims that their system with support up to 1,000 CC injectors, that is some serious fuel flow!
Thanks for sharing,
David
      10-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
c-m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello,
I am not trying to butt in on your conversation that you are having but I was curious as to what WHP and WTQ you are getting with your current set-up? Are you just running pump gas or do you also have any power adders like water/meth injection? Plus, what boost pressure are you running? On Top Gear Solutions they list two separate set of numbers, one for 18 psi and the other for 23 psi.
The first set is @ 18 psi with them getting 455.71 WHP and 469.88 WTQ
At 23 psi quite a bit more with 536.31 WHP and 494.89 WTQ
Also are you using a custom tune from Wedge Performance?
I just bought the lpfp and installed the Stage II+ tune from MHD and was quite pleased with the outcome. Prior to that I was running VF Engineering’s Stage II tune but experiencing violent misfires @ anything over 6K rpm. After I switched over to the MHD tune the car runs right up to redline every time with no misfires at all. I plan on going with the Pure Turbo Stage II myself. I wanted to know if you went with the XDI-35 that everyone recommends, some have even gone with the larger XDI-60? I would eventually add water/meth injection as well. But I too would begin to worry how much that ZF 8-speed auto can handle. And I still have yet to install the xHP TCU software that I purchased for it. I have a friend that is the Service Manager at a local tune shop here in the Pacific Northwest. He just got in a 2015 M235i just like my car with the Pure Turbo Stage II kit, the $275 Inlet Aluminum pipe, and he went with the Elite Fueling Systems Port Injection kit, that uses a one-piece billet aluminum manifold spacer, with the fuel rail built right in. I guess he did this if he ever wants to go beyond what most people have done referring to the size of turbo. I know Elite claims that their system with support up to 1,000 CC injectors, that is some serious fuel flow!
Thanks for sharing,
David
I went with the larger XDI-60 because it supports up to 800HP. I will never go that large, but I didn't want to mess with PI. I'm going to be running full E85 in the spring. Currently on 93 and plan to hit the dyno soon. I'm running BM3 and custom tuned by Cary Jordan. The car feels incredible even on the pump gas. I do plan on hitting a spot with my Dragy soon just to see what the guesstimated 1/4 time is now. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. You can follow my build on IG as well (@sb.2ers).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
jr_spectref22
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:

Thanks,
David
I have PS2 on my M235i. I'm also tunning fbo and an E30 mix. Currently got a stage 2H E30 octane tune as well from protuningfreaks
Appreciate 0