THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Canadian M240i - Oil change interval

06-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
ntj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xD

Canadian M240i - Oil change interval

Hey folks,

I've had my M240i for a little under a year now. At around 8,000 km the car indicated it was due for oil change and service, so I had the dealership complete the service (January 2019)

Last week I noticed the car was indicating that an oil change was due again, but the mileage on my car is only around 13,000 km (4,600 km after the last oil change). Dealership was surprised by this and couldn't explain the short intervals, and wondered if the mileage hadn't been reset the first time around. I was told to bring the car in for the oil change regardless. Since there's no cost, I figured I might as well -- more oil changes are better!

It turns out the mileage reset on my car is automatically set to an interval of 4,600 km. The dealership was sure the interval should be every 13,000 km, but couldn't figure out a way to change the interval.

Can any other Canadian owner chime in.... What is the oil change interval on your car?

Thanks.
      06-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

15,000km is the target oil change interval on the M240i in Canada, the kilometre countdown will vary depending on the conditions it is used in. One year is the maximum time period between changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
ntj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
15,000km is the target oil change interval on the M240i in Canada, the kilometre countdown will vary depending on the conditions it is used in. One year is the maximum time period between changes.
Thanks. Can you elaborate on conditions which vary the km countdown? My dealer seems to be unaware, so does the car's computer select/vary interval on it's own?

Am I driving it like I stole it too much?
      06-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntj View Post
Thanks. Can you elaborate on conditions which vary the km countdown? My dealer seems to be unaware, so does the car's computer select/vary interval on it's own?

Am I driving it like I stole it too much?
The most effect is from fuel consumption, but depending on specific BMW models, factors such as cold starts and oil condition (a condition sensor is fitted on some models).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
MoltenIce
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

15,000Kms is what my Canadian M235i X-Drive is set at, i wouldn't mind being able to set it to 10,000Kms if anyone has figured out how?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenIce View Post
15,000Kms is what my Canadian M235i X-Drive is set at, i wouldn't mind being able to set it to 10,000Kms if anyone has figured out how?
To reset it early (assuming outside of warranty) use this method:https://otobasic.com/oil-life-reset/...r-light-reset/

To change the interval you will need to use ISTA/D with an appropriate cable.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

My 2016 228 averages about 8,000KM however the countdown changes on its own depending on (my guess) a number of factors including how you drive the car. As the maintenance is included until 80,000KM I wouldn't be concerned as it is free. Where in Ontario are you located? ntj
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
ntj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnj View Post
My 2016 228 averages about 8,000KM however the countdown changes on its own depending on (my guess) a number of factors including how you drive the car. As the maintenance is included until 80,000KM I wouldn't be concerned as it is free. Where in Ontario are you located? ntj
I'm in Northern Ontario, and my closest dealer is 2 hours away and only does service during weekdays, so the short intervals between oil changes is actually quite annoying.
      07-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Aside from what interval is set (probably regardless of that), I do believe that the 'drive like it was stolen' will shorten intervals until it tells you to change oil. I'd guess that part of this is via the amount of TCS activation or hard acceleration, but that is just a guess - mine seems to distinguish between routine use and heavy driving periods. When I'm up in the mountains nearly every weekend, the 'time 'til next service' will drop rapidly, but it sits pegged at 6k for a month or more if all I'm doing is commuting.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Aside from what interval is set (probably regardless of that), I do believe that the 'drive like it was stolen' will shorten intervals until it tells you to change oil. I'd guess that part of this is via the amount of TCS activation or hard acceleration, but that is just a guess - mine seems to distinguish between routine use and heavy driving periods. When I'm up in the mountains nearly every weekend, the 'time 'til next service' will drop rapidly, but it sits pegged at 6k for a month or more if all I'm doing is commuting.
Going back to the original variable oil change interval for BMWs in the E46 and earlier era of fuel injected cars the oil change interval was determined by the number of litres of fuel consumed (I seem to remember it being 2,500 litres for my 323Ci). The harder the car is driven, the higher the fuel consumption, hence the lower the change interval.

They have added other parameters over the years and used oil quality sensors in some models, but I believe fuel consumption is still the main driver of the oil change interval. The projected interval is going to change based on the projected fuel consumption in the recent past being used to estimate the likely remaining interval.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      07-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
ntj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Going back to the original variable oil change interval for BMWs in the E46 and earlier era of fuel injected cars the oil change interval was determined by the number of litres of fuel consumed (I seem to remember it being 2,500 litres for my 323Ci). The harder the car is driven, the higher the fuel consumption, hence the lower the change interval.

They have added other parameters over the years and used oil quality sensors in some models, but I believe fuel consumption is still the main driver of the oil change interval. The projected interval is going to change based on the projected fuel consumption in the recent past being used to estimate the likely remaining interval.

Hmm. Interesting. Would it be reasonable to assume then that city driving in sport/sport+/traction simply for the purpose of listening to wonderful burbles might inadvertently shorten the intervals?

I have been wondering if my tendency to drive in these modes in start/stop traffic may be the cause, but couldn't wrap my head around how this would affect oil change interval. Based on your info, I'd guess that the unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust to cause the burbles may be dramatically affecting fuel consumption and therefore intervals? I don't track fuel consumption, so really can't say how many mpg I'm getting...
      07-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. Would it be reasonable to assume then that city driving in sport/sport+/traction simply for the purpose of listening to wonderful burbles might inadvertently shorten the intervals?

I have been wondering if my tendency to drive in these modes in start/stop traffic may be the cause, but couldn't wrap my head around how this would affect oil change interval. Based on your info, I'd guess that the unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust to cause the burbles may be dramatically affecting fuel consumption and therefore intervals? I don't track fuel consumption, so really can't say how many mpg I'm getting...
Yes, any of the sporting modes, lack of steady speed highway driving and lack of use of start/stop will decrease the target oil change interval from the default 15,000km, due to the higher fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:

Am I driving it like I stole it too much? filezilla uc browser rufus
It turns out the mileage reset on my car is automatically set to an interval of 4,600 km. The dealership was sure the interval should be every 13,000 km, but couldn't figure out a way to change the interval.

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 08-27-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
biz4two
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 f22 n20 228i

Wink

Quote:
To change the interval you will need to use ISTA/D with an appropriate cable.
OMG!! Only 4600 km (or 2800 miles)??!!?? That is total insanity!!

OP... have the dealer service center plug-in and look at the settings. If they do NOT know how to change the interval, then you should really find a NEW dealer!!

How about just resetting the oil indicator yourself?? So, at 4600 km, when the indicator comes on... just reset it. That puts you at oil changes going to about 9200 km. Which is only 5700 miles!! Still a very very short oil change interval...IMHO.

biz

How to reset oil life indicator:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:44 AM   #15
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Folks on shorter interval might be part of a test group of engines or a bug in an update.
Appreciate 0