THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Reasonable novice lap time at Laguna Seca in stock M240i

12-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Reasonable novice lap time at Laguna Seca in stock M240i

Just wondering what kind of lap times are reasonable for a novice track day at Laguna in a stock M240i. Yesterday was the first time I used the M laptimer app. 3rd time ever at Laguna, 1st time in this car, and 5th track day over all. Running in Sport+, 6MT, and stock everything my best time was in the high 1 50s.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I don't know about reasonable, but I also started on track with a stock M240i. I think high 1:50s (emphasis on high) was about what I was doing too when I was starting out.

My second day ever on track I did 2:01 [1] at Laguna, a couple of weeks later -- 1:59 [2] with some terrible all-seasons. The best I've done with the car mostly stock (just camber plates to stop eating tires and KWs) was 1:56 [3]. That was on 7-8 track days of experience, I'm sure a better driver could've extracted quite a bit more from that setup.

Since then, I'm with a bit more experience (30ish track days) and the car's a bit further from stock (tires, diff, suspension, brakes, bushings). So far, I've gotten 1:46-high out of it [4]. The M235ir-s get 1:37-1:41 on slicks, so there's still quite a bit to go.

Last weekend at Laguna must've been SpeedSF, no? I had to miss it this time because the car's out getting a cage built, but say hi at the next one. I'm the blue M240 with orange numbers.

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4]
Appreciate 1
goodNIGHT106.50
      01-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
...the car's a bit further from stock (tires, diff, suspension, brakes, bushings).
Which tires, diff, etc. have you put on your car? Do you like them - are they ones you think you'll stick with, at least for a while?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Which tires, diff, etc. have you put on your car? Do you like them - are they ones you think you'll stick with, at least for a while?
Right now I'm running 245 / 265 RE71-r. I like that setup, but the car's still fairly heavy and a little sluggish on the turn in. It could use more tire all around. I'll stick with what I have for the next few months, but I'm thinking of fender flares + 285s square longer term.

Looking at your signature, you've gotten 255/35/18-s to fit in the front? Was that with fender work? A bit hard to find grippy tires in that size, but it sounds like I should give the R888Rs a shot.

For the diff, I have the 3-clutch LSD from Dan at diffsonline. I don't think I'm a good enough driver yet to feel differences from ramp angles and lock yet, so I'll stick with it for a while.

For braking, I run Pagid RS29 on the stock Brembo calipers with Stoptech slotted rotors. Seems to be enough stopping power to lock up with these tires, and the pagids last surprisingly long (6-7 days for the fronts). Maybe it's just me, but I really liked the change to the stoptech rotors -- felt I could trailbrake with a lot more confidence. As is, a BBK probably won't help too much, but 285 tires will probably change that.

Other than that, solid bushings (thrust arms, subframe, diff), Hotchiks sway bars (32mm and 19mm), KW V3s. Haven't outgrown them yet, so no need to change.

Oh yeah, and an Eventuri intake, because carbon fiber bling.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
I don't know about reasonable, but I also started on track with a stock M240i. I think high 1:50s (emphasis on high) was about what I was doing too when I was starting out.

My second day ever on track I did 2:01 [1] at Laguna, a couple of weeks later -- 1:59 [2] with some terrible all-seasons. The best I've done with the car mostly stock (just camber plates to stop eating tires and KWs) was 1:56 [3]. That was on 7-8 track days of experience, I'm sure a better driver could've extracted quite a bit more from that setup.

Since then, I'm with a bit more experience (30ish track days) and the car's a bit further from stock (tires, diff, suspension, brakes, bushings). So far, I've gotten 1:46-high out of it [4]. The M235ir-s get 1:37-1:41 on slicks, so there's still quite a bit to go.

Last weekend at Laguna must've been SpeedSF, no? I had to miss it this time because the car's out getting a cage built, but say hi at the next one. I'm the blue M240 with orange numbers.
Yep, Speed SF. I also have a blue M240 so if you see another blue M240 in the future that might be me!
Appreciate 0