THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Break in period - Look what I found

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #23
Daddycat
Private
United_States
1
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Cruces, NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
life is too short to be wasted worrying about these nonsense. I went as fast as 140mph after 500 miles and drove like a normal person for the first 500 miles.
A lot shorter when you go driving around at 140 mph!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #24
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
974
Rep
10,506
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
life is too short to be wasted worrying about these nonsense. I went as fast as 140mph after 500 miles and drove like a normal person for the first 500 miles.
A lot shorter when you go driving around at 140 mph!
Huh?

I did the same when i did ED with the e90, broke the car in from germany....driving 100+ there is like going 85 here in the states, no big deal
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #25
farshman
*
farshman's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2015 228xi
Join Date: May 2014
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

What does 'kickdown' mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #26
pikcachu
Brigadier General
pikcachu's Avatar
941
Rep
4,746
Posts

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

you press the throttle all the way... and the a little bit more and you will feel a click...when the kickdown is activated the car will multi-gear downshift to the lowest allowable gear
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #27
Burgwood
Enlisted Member
Burgwood's Avatar
Netherlands
1
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

hmmm.
i just bought mine from a dealer near Stuttgart with 2500km on the clock.
I don't think those 2500km were driven with gentle right feet
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
yep
Private First Class
5
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: M235i ED June 11
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Deutschland

iTrader: (0)

I was told about this break in period by the BMW employee who delivered the car to me at BMW Welt. I strictly adhered to it for all 1,200 miles. Nothing over 100 mph, and never flooring it. Staying out of Sport mode kept the RPMs where they needed to be, except maybe once or twice.

Last edited by yep; 08-27-2014 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
2+3=5
Lieutenant
2+3=5's Avatar
Canada
256
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I'm at 2100km (4 weeks since delivery) and drove it in comfort and sport mode thruout.. never thought about the break in parameters yet I didn't have a situation where I needed to rev higher than 4500 nor break 160km... yet

I find the Michelin PSS tires need warming up tho in the morning commute...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
farshman
*
farshman's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2015 228xi
Join Date: May 2014
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

so the official word is to not go into Sport mode during break in?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #31
pikcachu
Brigadier General
pikcachu's Avatar
941
Rep
4,746
Posts

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

no, sport mode has nothing to do with break in....

as long as you stay below 4500rpm and 100mph you can drive in any mode you want
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #32
Daddycat
Private
United_States
1
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Cruces, NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Huh?

I did the same when i did ED with the e90, broke the car in from germany....driving 100+ there is like going 85 here in the states, no big deal
Correctamundo, on the autobahn. Did it myself some years ago. I was thinking here in the States where, for the most part, there aren't a lot of 140+ opportunities on the highway and, even if there are, you stand liable for felony speeding which could include confiscation of your vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I like to go fast and actually have a great road (Hwy 70 from Las Cruces thru White Sands to Alamogordo) to do it fairly sanely and safely. Just need to do it away from people...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #33
FoxCrane
Private First Class
FoxCrane's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: Blue
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
Not a big deal, I drove over 120mph within 200 miles when I pick up the car in Europe.
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago; got it up to about 200kph
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #34
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
4
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: Black M235i MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Never done break-in period, 23 cars and counting never had an issue.

But in all fairness I've never had a car over 30,000 miles.

I kept, and do. keep in touch with many people I've sold my cars to, never heard an issue ever, but didn't ask about it specifically.

Including 98M3, 02M3SMG & 08M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 02:54 AM   #35
BMW13x
New Member
BMW13x's Avatar
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 1, 3, X3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

To properly break-in (or as some spell: brake-in) an engine, you must bring up the RPMs to the point at which you intend to drive it at. If you baby it and keep it under 4000 or 4500, the rings will seat in to that point and could have issues creating cylinder ridges at the point of TDC (top dead center).

Higher RPMs stretch out the metal parts. The pistons go farther up the cylinders and the rings then go farther too; seating the rings to the full and expected range of movement. Racing engines must be broken in to the RPM at which they will run or they will not perform properly.

The best way to break in an engine is to slowly bring up the RPM and do not (I repeat DO NOT) stay at one RPM for extended periods of time within the first 500 miles. Do not lug it or ride at 55 or 65 mph constantly in the highest gears at 1.5K RPMs on your commute. That is the worst thing to do. Best to vary your speeds, but more correctly your RPMs. It you must commute the car in the first 500 miles, use a variation of lower gears to get the RPMs up.

I use this procedure during the first 300 miles or so. Use the manual shift in the automatic transmissions to vary the RPM from 3K to 3.5K for a few minutes each and slowly bring it up to 4K (hold for a minute or two), then 4.5K, then to 5K for the same delay and then back down to 4.5K, then 4K, etc. Use a variation of RPMs between those listed. Repeat this several times. Do this on the Freeway when there is no traffic. There is no need to speed and load does not matter. Go to higher RPMs if you plan on running your vehicle at 6K, etc. For most, 5k to 5.5k is sufficient for quick accelerations. Racers will want to progress higher. The worst thing is to jump on the engine and rev it high and back down again quickly. Ease it up there during the first 500 miles.

All of this is at your risk and is my opinion from experience with racing engines. It is your investment.
P.S. I think the initial autobahn runs mentioned are very beneficial to new engine break-in.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #36
jbenington86
Major
United_States
45
Rep
1,200
Posts

Drives: 2008 128i, 2015 M235i, 370Z
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
When I picked up my 128i in Germany I followed BMW break-in procedures fairly strict. I also got to drive my car for an extended period of time ranging speeds from 10mph to 100mph and engine rpms 1,500-4,000 for the first couple hundred miles. Got 93k miles on the engine now and I have never added a drop of oil between changes with the longest change interval at 18,000 miles. I know I know I am a terrible car person but I did send Blackstone Labs an oil sample and they said the oil was still good to run on. However I think the overly used oil was starting to cause the electronic dipstick to give bad readings. Lastly to this day my engine feels and sounds like the day I got it from the factory.

I think a good engine break-in will go a long way.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #37
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235xi_EB View Post
To properly break-in (or as some spell: brake-in) an engine, you must bring up the RPMs to the point at which you intend to drive it at. If you baby it and keep it under 4000 or 4500, the rings will seat in to that point and could have issues creating cylinder ridges at the point of TDC (top dead center).

Higher RPMs stretch out the metal parts. The pistons go farther up the cylinders and the rings then go farther too; seating the rings to the full and expected range of movement. Racing engines must be broken in to the RPM at which they will run or they will not perform properly.

The best way to break in an engine is to slowly bring up the RPM and do not (I repeat DO NOT) stay at one RPM for extended periods of time within the first 500 miles. Do not lug it or ride at 55 or 65 mph constantly in the highest gears at 1.5K RPMs on your commute. That is the worst thing to do. Best to vary your speeds, but more correctly your RPMs. It you must commute the car in the first 500 miles, use a variation of lower gears to get the RPMs up.

I use this procedure during the first 300 miles or so. Use the manual shift in the automatic transmissions to vary the RPM from 3K to 3.5K for a few minutes each and slowly bring it up to 4K (hold for a minute or two), then 4.5K, then to 5K for the same delay and then back down to 4.5K, then 4K, etc. Use a variation of RPMs between those listed. Repeat this several times. Do this on the Freeway when there is no traffic. There is no need to speed and load does not matter. Go to higher RPMs if you plan on running your vehicle at 6K, etc. For most, 5k to 5.5k is sufficient for quick accelerations. Racers will want to progress higher. The worst thing is to jump on the engine and rev it high and back down again quickly. Ease it up there during the first 500 miles.

All of this is at your risk and is my opinion from experience with racing engines. It is your investment.
P.S. I think the initial autobahn runs mentioned are very beneficial to new engine break-in.
Correctamundo! This is exactly the way all of my cars have been broken in. No hard launches on the transaxle but lots of varying revs to seat the rings. Every Porsche and other perf car has always dynoed on the high end, most on the very high end of normal. Never ever had any issues.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST