THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MPE valve question

10-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

MPE valve question

Is sport, and sport plus the same thing as having your valves open and unplugged?

Obviously if they are unplugged they will be open in comfort and eco mode as well.

The reason I ask is because on cold start the car is pretty loud. After a minute or two you can hear a little metalic ping as the valves close and the exhaust gets quieter.

Then if I hit sport or sport plus I was under the impression that those valves would then re open? However I do not notice a little metalic ping of them re opening. (I have also notlistened super close aka have a friend do it while I am standing right behind the car)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Because the valve don't always open when you press sport on standstill... In sport it opens when you step on the throttle... It actually closes when you go off throttle!

I noticed this because in stock you can't visually see the flap while my aftermarket exhaust you can (just different location of the flaps)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Because the valve don't always open when you press sport on standstill... In sport it opens when you step on the throttle... It actually closes when you go off throttle!

I noticed this because in stock you can't visually see the flap while my aftermarket exhaust you can (just different location of the flaps)
Ah ok that makes a lot of sense.

What exhaust do you have? Armytrix?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125
Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post

Ah ok that makes a lot of sense.

What exhaust do you have? Armytrix?
Milltek
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
NotARealMCar
Wannabe ///M Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6spd Fake ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Is sport, and sport plus the same thing as having your valves open and unplugged?

Obviously if they are unplugged they will be open in comfort and eco mode as well.

The reason I ask is because on cold start the car is pretty loud. After a minute or two you can hear a little metalic ping as the valves close and the exhaust gets quieter.

Then if I hit sport or sport plus I was under the impression that those valves would then re open? However I do not notice a little metalic ping of them re opening. (I have also notlistened super close aka have a friend do it while I am standing right behind the car)

Sport Mode does a couple things...

1) Increases the throttle response of the car
2) Opens up the exhaust valve (I'm 99% sure its on the left exhaust exit of the car)

2a) This flap does not open right away, once you drive to car away if you have the windows down, you can hear it open up; usually about 30-50ft of driving away.

3) Stiffen up the steering
4) Holds gears out longer (if automatic, obviously if it's a 6spd you have choice of how long gears get held out

Sport Plus does all that stuff but also activates Dynamic Stability Control. What that'll do is basically slightly disengage the Traction Control to allow you wheels to spin a little bit, BUT if slippage is overwhelming, Traction Control will kick in.

Only way to completely disengage Traction Control would be by pressing and holding the DSC button (located above your Driving Dynamics buttons) for I think like 10 seconds.

Hope this helps!