THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i TRACK BUILD PROGRESSION

04-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

I bought an m240i early January knowing that it would wind up being tracked heavily. The original plan was to add mods slowly over time as needed. However, I did not anticipate the addiction that tracking has really become and wound up doing a lot in a very short amount of time.

After buying the car, I ordered:

BC Forged RZ-05 wheels
18x8.5 et 40
18x9 et 50

Continental ExtremeContact Sport Tires
245/40-18
255/35-18

Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers

Vorshlag Camber Plates

Remus Cat back (not a go fast bit but the car was simply too quiet)

The exhaust showed up at the house and after I took out the existing exhaust/midpipe and was ready to hang the Remus mid pipe, I realized that they sent me the wrong mid pipe. Remus sent me the pipe for a 5 series. After talking with them on the phone and asking them to overnight me the correct pipe since the car was a DD and I need to have it operational. They basically told me no, they aren't going to rush ship it to me. I contacted Ryan at Vivid Racing (where I ordered the wheels) and he was able to send me the Dinan midpipe and have it delivered the next morning. Remus agreed to take back the midpipe and issue me a refund for that part. The install went pretty smoothly at that point.

Fast forward a couple of weeks - I called to follow-up on the scheduled appointment and discovered that Ohlins did not have the correct application in stock and would not have them for another month. Shop owner apologized and offered to install the camber plates free of charge to make up for the Ohlins delay. Based on the recommendation of some people on the forums, I decided to go ahead and rush ship the Dinan Springs and bump stops to the shop Whenever I got to the shop, they immediately pulled my car in and went to work. Once they were completed, I saw the invoice and noticed that they installed Ground Control instead of Vorshlag. I asked about it and was told that Vorshlag wound up not having the plates in stock and TTW had to get the GC plates overnight. (there is a trend here with vendors not delivering the right parts on time). Alignment was set at -2.7F, -2R, 0 toe front, 1/8 toe in rear. Of course hi temp Motul brake fluid and oil replaced the stock fluids.

***I will continue to update as time permits***
Attached Images

Instagram: @Capt_and

Last edited by capt_and; 04-20-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Nice. Definitely get some pics of the installed items up when you can, OP, as well as some, um, 'road (course) testing', hehe.

Texas Track Works isn't a knee-jerk first-choice BMW vendor in this area primarily because it's in Fort Worth, but it's a top-class operation that gets a lot of referrals from the tracking community, as opposed to the BMW community -- which says something about its mission.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
WolfGTI688.50
      04-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Nice! I should have a track build thread going soon as well, glad to see more happening with the newer 240 owners. I love underdog builds, the m*** cars are a blessing on the cost/performance, imo.
      04-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

First track event... The Dinan spring were a huge let down. They made the rear too bouncy thus making the car a little more difficult to corner. Should've waited for the Ohlins... I also noticed that the open differential made it very tough to anticipate what the car was going to do on throttle out of a turn. There was a ton of oversteer. THe shop owner was very responsive and actually met me at the shop on a Saturday to take a look at the car and see if there was anything wrong that caused the issues. He also did a realignment at that time and dialed back the rear camber to -1.7 to help with traction. We talked about what needed to be done to make the car predictable and I decided to go ahead and do the Ohlins along with the m perf diff (which is made by Drexler).

Build quality of the Ohlins were... Wow. I almost didn't want to put them on the car... They are very pretty to say the least.

At this point, the BC Forged wheels are taking a little longer to produce than anticipated so I am still rocking the stock wheel/tire setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by capt_and; 04-17-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 6
Dylan861330.00
Viffermike1753.00
zikolai10.50
amw896582.50
Poochie9099.00
      04-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I'm excited to see this thread progress. I feel like my car will eventually end up down that road. For now I have apex wheels, lsd, exhaust, intake, and some atheistic pieces.

My next move is going to be the electronic m perf steering wheel, so I can see temps on track of course, not because it looks cool. Hopefully after that it will be coils.

I'll be waiting to hear what you think of the ohlins. My friends 1m on ohlins feels awesome, but I haven't seen to many people on here with them.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
skitsos80.50
      04-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
I'm excited to see this thread progress. I feel like my car will eventually end up down that road. For now I have apex wheels, lsd, exhaust, intake, and some atheistic pieces.

My next move is going to be the electronic m perf steering wheel, so I can see temps on track of course, not because it looks cool. Hopefully after that it will be coils.

I'll be waiting to hear what you think of the ohlins. My friends 1m on ohlins feels awesome, but I haven't seen to many people on here with them.
If you want to log the vitals and not doing the steering wheel for aesthetics purposes, I recommend you getting a Solo DL. It will log your track times and all of your engine vitals as it correlates with different parts of the track. I.e. If you are worries about oil starvation, you can look back at the data and see which corners may or may not be causing starvation issues and what gees you are pulling that causes the starvation to happen. It's much cheaper than the steering wheel and a much more effective tool.

The Ohlins are amazing. They are very well behaved on the street but really hold their own on the track. Of course, as with any coilovers or springs, the ride will be much harsher on sharp bumps or potholes but otherwise, they are hardly noticeable on public roads. If you go with their recommended settings on drop, you won't have many scraping issues either.

Sounds to me like all you need at are the coilovers and camber plates! I recently got Apex wheels as well - they were a game changer but more on that later

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post

If you want to log the vitals and not doing the steering wheel for aesthetics purposes, I recommend you getting a Solo DL. It will log your track times and all of your engine vitals as it correlates with different parts of the track. I.e. If you are worries about oil starvation, you can look back at the data and see which corners may or may not be causing starvation issues and what gees you are pulling that causes the starvation to happen. It's much cheaper than the steering wheel and a much more effective tool.

The Ohlins are amazing. They are very well behaved on the street but really hold their own on the track. Of course, as with any coilovers or springs, the ride will be much harsher on sharp bumps or potholes but otherwise, they are hardly noticeable on public roads. If you go with their recommended settings on drop, you won't have many scraping issues either.

Sounds to me like all you need at are the coilovers and camber plates! I recently got Apex wheels as well - they were a game changer but more on that later
How easy is it to monitor current temps on a solo dL? Will it display anything or do you have to actually check the logs on a computer? That's my biggest concern since I don't have anything for temps.

If it's significantly less than the wheel I would definitely consider it. I originally was looking at awron gauges, but since they are only a couple hundred off the price of the wheel I figured why not get the wheel.

I love my apex wheels too. I also have their wheel studs which look super aggressive.

Thanks for the input on the coils!
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I recently got Apex wheels as well - they were a game changer but more on that later
Nice to hear some feedback on the Ohlins! It was my desired coilover until I "stole" a set of KW CS's from a vendor at a price that I should be in jail, for.. lol I have used Ohlins on my motorcycles and now even Mountain Bike, never let me down. Was super stoked to see them getting into the tuner car scene, and I still may end up with a set, down the road.

I want to hear about the wheels, I went with the arc08's 18x9 et42 sq, is that what you had in mind, or you trying to get a 9.5" wheel on the car? Cheers, great job so far,

D
      04-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Nice to hear some feedback on the Ohlins! It was my desired coilover until I "stole" a set of KW CS's from a vendor at a price that I should be in jail, for.. lol I have used Ohlins on my motorcycles and now even Mountain Bike, never let me down. Was super stoked to see them getting into the tuner car scene, and I still may end up with a set, down the road.

I want to hear about the wheels, I went with the arc08's 18x9 et42 sq, is that what you had in mind, or you trying to get a 9.5" wheel on the car? Cheers, great job so far,

D
I ordered the KW V3 from tire rack for a substantial savings but sent them back for the Ohlins. The benefit of the Ohlins is that they can be rebuilt by most people, the KWs need to be sent off for at least a week.

As for the wheels, I was able to get 9.5" on 265/35-18 Hankook RS4 to fit all the way around. It's like a small jacket on a fat man but they will fit. I'll post more details once I am 100% sure they will fit without any issues.

Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the KW V3 from tire rack for a substantial savings but sent them back for the Ohlins. The benefit of the Ohlins is that they can be rebuilt by most people, the KWs need to be sent off for at least a week.

As for the wheels, I was able to get 9.5" on 265/35-18 Hankook RS4 to fit all the way around. It's like a small jacket on a fat man but they will fit. I'll post more details once I am 100% sure they will fit without any issues.
On the warranty/rebuild with KW, yea, it's a bit painful, for sure.. They actually don't warranty their Clubsports, at all! Whereas they do with V1-V3's. Which is also why I was pleased to buy them brand n'used from iND, for 1/3 price lol. But at least they are rebuild-able, just gotta hope and pray I never have issues, mid season

As for wheels, that's great! Haha, agree 100% on the fat man/ small jacket, we test fitted the 9" wheel with PSS's and it's damn close without the camber set. The primary reason I wanted the 9" wheel was to run a smaller spacer, which is required to clear the spring seat, so I should be able to get away with a 10-12mm vs 15-20mm.. I learned a lot about what I'd be up against, through Anthony235, he's also made a 9.5" square setup work, for him, with CS's.

Can't wait to see how this goes, tuned in!

D
      04-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
zikolai
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240xi Estoril Blue

Subscribed ! :-) I am curious, did you install the Remus exhaust yet? I have the Dinan Midpipe on my M240xi and now I want a muffler as well. From the pics I have seen, I believe some modification would be required to fit the Remus to the Dinan midpipe but I may be wrong. (I am about to pull the trigger on the Dinan but I like the fact that the Remus has the exhaust valve)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #12
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikolai View Post
Subscribed ! :-) I am curious, did you install the Remus exhaust yet? I have the Dinan Midpipe on my M240xi and now I want a muffler as well. From the pics I have seen, I believe some modification would be required to fit the Remus to the Dinan midpipe but I may be wrong. (I am about to pull the trigger on the Dinan but I like the fact that the Remus has the exhaust valve)
At this point in the thread, yes I have the exhaust installed. The Dinan midpipe will need to be shortened a bit but other than that, no other modifications necessary. I have since removed the Remus and have the AWE on my car, but more on that later.

Appreciate 1
zikolai10.50
      04-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Second track event with the car and the LSD and Ohlins were fantastic. The rear was no longer hopping around on corner exits! Dialing down the camber in the rear to -1.7 was also a very good move giving the rear a ton more grip. At this point, It is completely up to me to drive better. I checked the tracking on the wheels and they finally arrived in the US and were making their way to me.

Fast forward 2 weeks and the wheels and the wheels finally made it out of customs. Something worthwhile to note: BC Forged wheels are made in Korea and is the same company that makes the BC Coilovers. I had the Continental Extreme Contact sports mounted and threw the wheels onto the car and my immediate response was "I could've put more meat up front...".

BC Forged RZ-05
Continental ExtremeContact Sports
Front: 18x8.5 et 40; 245/40-18
Rear: 18x9 et 50; 255/35-18

This fitment is "safe." There was no risk of rubbing whatsoever. The wheels/tires did make a difference on track but it wasn't something to call home about.

What did make a lot of difference was throwing on some Carbotech XP12 front and Gloc R10 rear brake pads. Backstory, Gloc was started by former employees of Carbotech so they are basically the same. The reason we went with Carbotech front and Gloc rear was primarily due to availability. These are race pads and squeal like a teenage girl next to Justin Bieber. I would never recommend these for the street. We are going to keep stock rotors and calipers because there is no need for a BBK - the stock parts have plenty of stopping power. Also something else to note, the front pads from Carbotech had very little material on them - barely over half of the stock pads. We will address this later on.

I also threw on the m performance spoiler to balance the m performance splitter. This rookie couldn't tell a difference.
Attached Images

Last edited by capt_and; 04-17-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
Dylan861330.00
Taskmaster2463.00
      04-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am starting to get used to the car and able to drive it harder. On track, I am still using it in DTC mode and it seems to work ok for me based on how hard I am pushing the car on track (still mild).

Problem, whenever I turned the steering wheel all the way to near full lock, the front right wheel well would make a huge clunking noise. I thought it was just the springs settling in the perch. One day, whenever I went to change out the brake pads to my street pads, I noticed that a piece of the brake duct trim (the one on the wheel well) was chipped. After further investigation, I found that the end link broke!

The shop I used had a track day planned and invited me to come. They ordered the Ground Control end links for me so that I would have it in time for the track day. Well, needless to say, they didn't come. Shop owner went back to the shop and tried to find some end links that I could use in the meantime and came up empty handed. Oh well, I am so used to parts not coming that as long as the guys at shop tell me I can run, I will make the best of it.

Running without end links caused a ton of body roll, so much that my tires told the story. Whenever they finally came in, I scheduled an appt to have them installed along with a fluid flush, touch up alignment, and corner balance. The passenger front alignment was way off, as expected.

At this point, I already decided to join the track, Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. Once my car was done at the shop, I drove over to the track to test out the car. Well, having a stiffer front end caused a ton of understeer. After only two 30 minute sessions, the front calipers changed color on me! (The front brake pads were getting pretty low as well).

I drove back to the shop right after the second session to have the guys take a look and they determined that I needed more brake cooling and bigger tires/more camber up front. In the meantime, the brakes are ok at current track temps (675*F). Additional investigation needed to determine exactly how much tire can be fitted up front.

We also discussed the seating position. The seat has a rake to it so that midgets like me (5'8") sit up higher. This causes me to hit my helmet on the headliner when going over bumps. We talked about different ways to lower the seat mounting positions to get an extra inch of head room.

Items ordered during this period:
Schroth Quick fit harness
AIM Solo 2 DL
Ground control end links
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
rickd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

My guy recommended to square up the car with 18x8.5 +38 offset, with front camber you can run up to a 245/35/18 squared -1.5 Front camber is needed. That would help with oversteer in the car.

I'm on the same path as you, I did the Dinan midpipe, Dinan tune and camber plates, next are the rims and tires then LSD.

I'm vacillating over the coilovers, I don't want to lose the drivability of the car. I like being able to use the ESC button to change my ride control.

You're the first person that didn't like the Dinan spring set? Did you get the ride control / bump stop kit as well?
2017 M240i - BM3 Stage 2+ tune - Millway Camber plates - Dinan Midpipe - Dinan Intake - Wavetrac Diff - Bilstein B16 coilovers - Apex EC8's - Spool Ethanol sensor - TU Pump - Spec Stage 2+ clutch - E30 map - AutoTechnic Carbon fiber Trunk spoiler - RW Carbon diffuser - Front lip spoiler - Mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

^^ I would also suggest that the Dinan springs were "ok" but not ideal, as the car is under-damped with the new spring rate. It'll get the job done, but if you're going to be spending enough time on the track, the coilovers are absolutely the way to go. You can get DDC KW's and keep the oem functionality for damping control.
      04-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
rickd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At this point in the thread, yes I have the exhaust installed. The Dinan midpipe will need to be shortened a bit but other than that, no other modifications necessary. I have since removed the Remus and have the AWE on my car, but more on that later.
Did you melt your rear diffuser from running it hard? After one track day I melted mine. Looking at lowering the tips by putting washers on the top of the exhaust hanger.
2017 M240i - BM3 Stage 2+ tune - Millway Camber plates - Dinan Midpipe - Dinan Intake - Wavetrac Diff - Bilstein B16 coilovers - Apex EC8's - Spool Ethanol sensor - TU Pump - Spec Stage 2+ clutch - E30 map - AutoTechnic Carbon fiber Trunk spoiler - RW Carbon diffuser - Front lip spoiler - Mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am starting to get used to the car and able to drive it harder. On track, I am still using it in DTC mode and it seems to work ok for me based on how hard I am pushing the car on track (still mild).

Problem, whenever I turned the steering wheel all the way to near full lock, the front right wheel well would make a huge clunking noise. I thought it was just the springs settling in the perch. One day, whenever I went to change out the brake pads to my street pads, I noticed that a piece of the brake duct trim (the one on the wheel well) was chipped. After further investigation, I found that the end link broke!

Texas Track Works had a track day planned and invited me to come. They ordered the Ground Control end links for me so that I would have it in time for the track day. Well, needless to say, they didn't come. Forrest went back to the shop and tried to find some end links that I could use in the meantime and came up empty handed. Oh well, I am so used to parts not coming that as long as the guys at TTW tell me I can run, I will make the best of it.

Running without end links caused a ton of body roll, so much that my tires told the story. Whenever they finally came in, I scheduled an appt to have them installed along with a fluid flush, touch up alignment, and corner balance. The passenger front alignment was way off, as expected.

At this point, I already decided to join the track, Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. Once my car was done at the shop, I drove over to the track to test out the car. Well, having a stiffer front end caused a ton of understeer. After only two 30 minute sessions, the front calipers changed color on me! (The front brake pads were getting pretty low as well).

I drove back to Texas Track Works right after the second session to have the guys take a look and they determined that I needed more brake cooling and bigger tires/more camber up front. In the meantime, the brakes are ok at current track temps (675*F). Additional investigation needed to determine exactly how much tire can be fitted up front.

We also discussed the seating position. The seat has a rake to it so that midgets like me (5'8") sit up higher. This causes me to hit my helmet on the headliner when going over bumps. We talked about different ways to lower the seat mounting positions to get an extra inch of head room.

Items ordered during this period:
Schroth Quick fit harness
AIM Solo 2 DL
Ground control end links
Interesting, you're one of first to cook the colour out of the OEM brakes on an F22, I've seen this on several F8x cars, though. Not my primary reason for doing BBK's, but it was something I wanted to address, as well. Also a first that I've seen to snap an OE end link, I saw those as a weak point already and preemptively bought the Hotchkis links with my sway bars... Crazy what happens outside of the regular operating conditions, these components are just not designed for what we're doing, but the car is more than capable once you address them..
      04-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd View Post
Did you melt your rear diffuser from running it hard? After one track day I melted mine. Looking at lowering the tips by putting washers on the top of the exhaust hanger.
Yes, I had the same issue. I switched to an AWE exhaust with more adjustability and haven't had an issue since. Here is a close up on my car on track. Looks a little off doesn't it?
Attached Images

Last edited by capt_and; 04-20-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
rickd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Right on, I just got the ******** diffuser installed and don't want to melt this one!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I decided to go with Apec ARC-8 in Anthracite.

18x9.5 et35 plus 5mm spacer
18x9.5 et 58 plus 8mm spacer

Camber front -3.5
Camber rear -2.2
Toe out front 1/16"
Hankook RS4 265/35-18 all corners

The wheels were ordered with rush shipping but Apex failed to send out two of the wheels until a few days after they sent out the first pair. The shop took care of the situation and had them overnight another whole set, satin black because it was all they had left in stock. Not really what I wanted but oh well. I showed up to get the wheels/tires installed and guess what?! The spacers were delayed and we had to wait all day for UPS to deliver them. We originally had 5mm all the way around but decided that we needed at least 8mm rear to steer clear of the fuel line on the passenger side rear. You will also need to roll the fenders up front. I'd do it before going onto the track... My front passenger fender took a beating.

I also had the shop order some better pads. They came up with Carbotech XP24 endurance pads. LOTS more brake material. There is less initial bite but they still stop as hard as I will ever need.

All I can say about the wheels, tires, and camber is WOW. I shaved 4 seconds off my time on a 1.7 miles track (big deal). No more understeer grip for days. I did run into issues with oversteer because I was so used to the car plowing on some corners. Another fun fact is that if you get a little out of control and need some big throttle and steering inputs to save the spin out, the engine will cut power.

After two weekends on track, my front brakes have an interesting color to them. It's what I would imagine a leafy vegetable and dirt smoothy would look like. Discoloration only on the outside. Proper brake ducting is in the works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #22
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Looking good!!! Alignment specs look to be similar to what I'll be running, except for the rear toe, which I'll take back closer to factory spec (requires adjustable rear toe arms)..

Well done on the 9.5" wheels, I'm a bit jelly, lol. Are you running a spacer up front to clear the coil spring seat? Or another reason?

D

Last edited by Dylan86; 04-20-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0