THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack First time BMW owner, m235i

07-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
birdiestremph42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

First time BMW owner, m235i

Recently purchased a 2015 m235i as my daily driver. I'm coming from having both a 2011 GLK (daily driver) and a 2006 cayman s (fun).

I really love the m235i and it sort of seems like a mix of the two cars above. The acceleration is insane and very fun.

I haven't been that impressed by the handling so far. Not sure if i'm just learning to drive it or perhaps it just gives less of a "good feeling" when taking a corner fast as compared to the cayman. I feel like it technically scoots around a corner pretty quick but doesn't seem to dig in like other sports cars i've driven. Interestingly I had the same impression when I rented an M2 about a year ago in Munich and took it on the autobahn/into the hills.

The only other gripe i have is how jerky the automatic transmission is in sport/sport+ manual mode. It feels like over time the car is gonna be ripped apart.

don't mean to sound like i'm complaining i truly do love the car and i'm going to keep it for a while.

I know nothing about modifying cars but i'm curious if there are some changes I could make to give the car a better feel around corners. Any advice would be helpful even if it's just to be quiet until I know the car a little better :P
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Welcome! If your car has dynamic suspension, make sure it is set to sport mode for tighter handling. This is a standard setting for sport/sport+ mode but, assuming your car is preowned, the previous owner may have change the settings around so its worth looking into.

(You might get more help after moving this to the general discussion section.)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Just read any review on the cayman chassis and you know how highly regarded it is. But also read reviews on the 2-series handling - it’s very special and very fast cornering.

I think the key to the 235 handling are the Michelin summer PSS tires, and u can play with inflation pressure, 37 or 38 psi in all the tires really seemed to make the car faster.

And the 235 engine is so good.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Recommend upgrading your LSD. That will definitely help your fast cornering.
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0