THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Focal ICBMW100L + ICBMW100 Speakers vs BavSound Speakers: My Review

11-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Cool Focal ICBMW100L + ICBMW100 Speakers vs BavSound Speakers: My Review

I recently had the opportunity to try BavSound speakers for my 228i base coupe (HiFi) and the Focal speakers back to back so figured I will post a quick review of my experience here.

I tested stock vs BavSound vs Focal in both 2+2 mode (with center channel disconnected) and 5 speaker mode (with BavSound, all 5 were BavSound; with Focal, the center channel was stock). In all cases, 2+2 mode sounded significantly better than 5 speaker mode. So, this is hands down a winner, and a simple mod for anyone to do. Highly recommended mod.

BavSound speakers cost $550 shipped, and comes with 5 speakers - 2x fronts, 2x rear, 1x center. The sound was an improvement over stock, especially in the high frequency range, but in many rock songs, it was just too harsh. The mids and bass were unfortunately lacking compared to stock speakers. So, while the clarity was a welcome improvement, the overall sound quality was very much lacking. Some of the harsh frequencies in the upper frequency range became quite annoying after a couple of weeks.

Enter Focal speakers. It costs $700 after discounts for 4 speakers from Crutchfield. However, I bought it from Ebay (there is a seller from Germany and a seller from Austria - both are reliable). I paid <$400 for the 4 speakers. Installation was just as simple as the BavSound - very much plug and play. And the sound? Absolutely amazing. The highs were higher than with the BavSound (with the stock amp), the clarity was amazing, and yet, none of the harshness noted with the BavSound. The mids were not lacking either. The bass out of the box was less than with stock speakers but much better than BavSound. I set the tone control at +5 bass (others are at neutral spots), and there is plenty of sub-bass with no loss of clarity of high frequency extension. I've had this for two weeks now, and absolutely love the sound. Only negative is the slightly higher noise level in some older songs, but this is only noticeable in those songs and when not driving.

Conclusion: Focal >>>>>> BavSound > Stock. 2+2 >> 5.
Appreciate 2
deathking134.50
hayesy2.00