THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade

02-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #111
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If you are replacing the OEM amp then that line is 40A fused. But if you are keeping the OEM amp then don't tap that line as it is shared with other modules.
When I replace the amp, I have to run my own power line from the battery? Can't use the existing one?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #112
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
When I replace the amp, I have to run my own power line from the battery? Can't use the existing one?
If your aftermarket amp is less that 40A (as stated above) then you could.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #113
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If your aftermarket amp is less that 40A (as stated above) then you could.
I'm sorry Technic, I'm so confused. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep, pain in my back, or if my mind is muddy from all the homework I've been doing.

I was just trying to find out if the stock power line is sufficient to power the JL XD600/6?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #114
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry Technic, I'm so confused. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep, pain in my back, or if my mind is muddy from all the homework I've been doing.

I was just trying to find out if the stock power line is sufficient to power the JL XD600/6?
No. You need to read the XD600/6 install manual on the JL Audio site to see that it uses a 50A fuse with a 4AWG cable for 12V and ground as a minimum and that it tells you clearly that requires direct battery connection.

There is no substitute in reading the install manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #115
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No. You need to read the XD600/6 install manual on the JL Audio site to see that it uses a 50A fuse with a 4AWG cable for 12V and ground as a minimum and that it tells you clearly that requires direct battery connection.

There is no substitute in reading the install manual.
Thanks, sorry I don't have the amp yet and didn't know the manual was online.

Last edited by huma; 02-23-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #116
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, sorry I don't have the amp yet and didn't know the manual was online.
Sorry to be blunt but a lot of members read this forum and somebody, somewhere will try to use the OEM 12V of the OEM amp to power an aftermarket amp if this is not clear enough...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #117
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
It is on driver side trunk floor area just behind tail light.
You have to remove the side lining to access it.
Same location as F30 but F22 does not have removeable top tray cover.
akuan99, have you tackled the aftermarket amp install yet? I'm curious about it ... I'll be installing Hertz coaxials in the doors and rear deck either next weekend or the weekend after, and I'm likely going to upgrade the amp to a JL 600/6 soon after that. I'd love any insight beyond the F30 install thread you (or anyone else) can provide in addition to what's been noted already.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #118
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
akuan99, have you tackled the aftermarket amp install yet? I'm curious about it ... I'll be installing Hertz coaxials in the doors and rear deck either next weekend or the weekend after, and I'm likely going to upgrade the amp to a JL 600/6 soon after that. I'd love any insight beyond the F30 install thread you (or anyone else) can provide in addition to what's been noted already.
I have not installed my JL 600/6 amp yet. The reason is that just replacing stock speakers really sounds great with stock amp.
Morel speakers I used are very efficient so I'm in no rush to install my amp.
I'm also waiting for the weather to get better so that plastic material do not break as easily.
I broke a lot of plastic clips and connector when I installed front speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #119
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not installed my JL 600/6 amp yet. The reason is that just replacing stock speakers really sounds great with stock amp.
Morel speakers I used are very efficient so I'm in no rush to install my amp.
I'm also waiting for the weather to get better so that plastic material do not break as easily.
I broke a lot of plastic clips and connector when I installed front speakers.
Interesting insight about the plug clips. I may need to get some of those to keep on hand during the install. Hoping for 70s next weekend so I don't have to worry about it as much, though ...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #120
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW235i 2014

Crossover selection

I have assembled my amp and DSP gear and ready to have it installed.

I have the base M235i stereo and have 4 inch Focal Pc 100's in the doors.

Installing Mosconi DSP and 6 x 100 watts for each of Front L,R Rear L R, and each of the stock subs under seats. Have the harness from Technic.

I hear the stock subs are more mid bass than subs and the lower range of the Focals is about 120 Hz.

Should the sub crossover at 120Hz? and at 12 db per octave?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
HJMII0.00
      04-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #121
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile View Post
I have assembled my amp and DSP gear and ready to have it installed.

I have the base M235i stereo and have 4 inch Focal Pc 100's in the doors.

Installing Mosconi DSP and 6 x 100 watts for each of Front L,R Rear L R, and each of the stock subs under seats. Have the harness from Technic.

I hear the stock subs are more mid bass than subs and the lower range of the Focals is about 120 Hz.

Should the sub crossover at 120Hz? and at 12 db per octave?

Thanks
You're likely going to need to play around with the crossover point. I just checked out the frequency response curve for the PC 100; it doesn't reach full tonal output until about 180Hz, and there's about an 8db difference in tone output between that and 100Hz, which represents roughly 7/8 of an octave.

Since the frequency curve of the stock sub is unknown, I would recommend starting with the crossover at about 160Hz and fine-tune from there; The Focals' low-frequency volume appears to roll off by about half between 140 and 180Hz. I would also play with gain settings so you don't overload the subs; we also don't know what their power-handling capabilities are, but they're probably not much.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #122
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You're likely going to need to play around with the crossover point. I just checked out the frequency response curve for the PC 100; it doesn't reach full tonal output until about 180Hz, and there's about an 8db difference in tone output between that and 100Hz, which represents roughly 7/8 of an octave.

Since the frequency curve of the stock sub is unknown, I would recommend starting with the crossover at about 160Hz and fine-tune from there; The Focals' low-frequency volume appears to roll off by about half between 140 and 180Hz. I would also play with gain settings so you don't overload the subs; we also don't know what their power-handling capabilities are, but they're probably not much.
Thanks I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #123
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

DSP and Amps are installed in M235i base stereo

The Mosconi D2 100.4DSP and D2 150.2 were installed today. The subs are factory and the door and rear speakers are Focal PC 100, the center channel is disconnected. Two of the processed line level outs from the D2 100.4 feed the D2 150.2 which powers the subs. Total 6 X 100 watts. System is set and there is no Mosconi controller to play with. That's they way I wanted it.

The dealer said that the Mosconi 6to8 was there go to DSP so the D2 100 DSP being nearly identical did not take any extra time to set-up.

The factory subs were crossed over at 120 Hz. The image is in front of me wide and deep and the sound is about what I expected - quite good.

It is much better than the HK system I had in my E90 335I in terms of resolution and output.

The only issue is the active sound is now deafening, so I will get that coded off or possibly down (if it really is available)...next week.

I have DSP audio engineers in my office and one has offered to set-it up.
That will likely be in the summer. At that time we will look at optimising crossover, delay, parametric EQ. etc.

To be honest it is well balanced now and it will be interesting to see how much it can be improved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #124
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile View Post
The Mosconi D2 100.4DSP and D2 150.2 were installed today. The subs are factory and the door and rear speakers are Focal PC 100, the center channel is disconnected. Two of the processed line level outs from the D2 100.4 feed the D2 150.2 which powers the subs. Total 6 X 100 watts. System is set and there is no Mosconi controller to play with. That's they way I wanted it.

The dealer said that the Mosconi 6to8 was there go to DSP so the D2 100 DSP being nearly identical did not take any extra time to set-up.

The factory subs were crossed over at 120 Hz. The image is in front of me wide and deep and the sound is about what I expected - quite good.

It is much better than the HK system I had in my E90 335I in terms of resolution and output.

The only issue is the active sound is now deafening, so I will get that coded off or possibly down (if it really is available)...next week.

I have DSP audio engineers in my office and one has offered to set-it up.
That will likely be in the summer. At that time we will look at optimising crossover, delay, parametric EQ. etc.

To be honest it is well balanced now and it will be interesting to see how much it can be improved.
Slick install on the rear deck sheetmetal. Makes the grounding point nice and convenient, eh?

Interesting to note the 120dB crossover point works OK with those Focals. Do keep us informed regarding any changes the DSP adjustments make to that (and other things) in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #125
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

You could try to code the premium hifi option for active sound. Haven't tested it myself, but I would imagine that the AS gain levels for premium hifi are going to be lower than for hifi based on the difference in output between the two systems. Not sure how much of a difference that is though. That would be where I start if I wanted to reduce AS output.

Or just turn it off. Your music will probably sound better anyway lol
      04-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #126
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
You could try to code the premium hifi option for active sound. Haven't tested it myself, but I would imagine that the AS gain levels for premium hifi are going to be lower than for hifi based on the difference in output between the two systems. Not sure how much of a difference that is though. That would be where I start if I wanted to reduce AS output.

I did just that and it was a relief.

Now just waiting for the thorough set-up of the DSP. While I wait I now notice, with the exaggerated AS now off, the lower mids are sucked out. Will report back once this is done.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #127
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

I did just that and it was a relief.

Now just waiting for the thorough set-up of the DSP. While I wait I now notice, with the exaggerated AS now off, the lower mids are sucked out. Will report back once this is done.
You turned AS off, gtaphile, or you coded for Premium HiFi?

Low mids gone ... yeah, definitely play with that sub-to-Focal crossover point again. I thought that 120Hz sounded a little fishy based on the info I saw ... and I hope those Mosconis haven't fried the OEM subs ...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #128
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You turned AS off, gtaphile, or you coded for Premium HiFi?

Low mids gone ... yeah, definitely play with that sub-to-Focal crossover point again. I thought that 120Hz sounded a little fishy based on the info I saw ... and I hope those Mosconis haven't fried the OEM subs ...
As I understand it my guy couldn't code it off. I suggested that he code it to F006 which I read in the coding area, which I also understand is a code that has no signal assigned to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #129
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hi guys, anyone know if this Focal kit fits in the M235i?

http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/shop/1560/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #130
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Looks like it should work assuming you have the base radio. It won't work if you have the HK option.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #131
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
Hi guys, anyone know if this Focal kit fits in the M235i?

http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/shop/1560/
It won't fit without modification since these are direct repalcement for the older model.
You will need add spacers at minimum so back of speaker will not hit window glass.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #132
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
It won't fit without modification since these are direct repalcement for the older model.
You will need add spacers at minimum so back of speaker will not hit window glass.
Hi Akuan

Are you sure?

chaswyck1 seems to have installed this kit with no problems.. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102486

Chaswyck1, care to confirm?

Thanks

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0