THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Bought a previously tuned M240i

11-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
ZXMarine72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Bought a previously tuned M240i

Proud new owner of a 2018 M240i - Noticed the car was modded during the PPI but that didn't deter me one bit

The car has obviously been tuned as well. It has stock airbox but it also has an active autowerks catless downpipe. The Sport gauges have numbers that go alot higher than the standard ones and I beleive this is something that is commonly changed when tuning. The problem is I don't know if the car was tuned with MHD or BM3. So what will happen if I buy BM3 in order to tune the car? Will I ever have a stock tune available to me or will my current tuned state be recorded as the cars stock tune? I tried to get pr tuning freaks to verify if the VIN had ever been registered but they declined based on privacy concerns which I totally understand. I absolutely have to buy a tune for the car because I have to have the option to turn the rear O2 sensors back on in order to pass my NC emissions OBD2 test. Has anyone here ever experienced a similar scenario? Any wisdom to offer? The car runs like a banshee and I love it but I have to get this sorted in order to be legal. My plan is to purchase BM3 and make the necessary changes but for all I know the car has a custom tune on it and I certainly don't want to lose that. Will I be able to see if the car has a custom or OTS tune once I buy a BM3 license? Any info would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
ZXMarine72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

BUMP - Confirmed the car wasn't tuned with MHD so that leaves BM3 only. So I will be purchasing a license from them. I would still like to know what data will be stored as my stock tune before I flash to an updated tune file.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #3
Shadysu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Id suggest try getting in contact with the previous owner, if there's a tune as you said the numbers are changed, that means the original license is still part of your VIN, and you won't be able to add another license.

You'd have to use the same account that the original owner used, to take off that license than flash your own if you choose to, or just ask him for the login and use it for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #4
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Unless the original owner was the first purchaser of the bm3 licence and he sold/transferred it to another vin when he sold the car. I would just msg PTF with your vin to check if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0