THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Center channel upgrade?

01-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #23
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
PREACH!

Just. Say. No. and YANK that thing OUT, stat.

If an audio system really wants to call itself a surround system, it needs to not simply combine stereo channels into a mono channel and call it a center channel, because that's not really a channel at all. That's like sticking a 1980s boom box in mono mode on the coffee table in the middle of your home theater setup ...

... which, by extension, wouldn't have time correction applied properly, either, because the sum-of-two-stereo-channels signal it gets hasn't had proper correction applied. That's what messes up the soundstage the most.
Might be a dumb question, but like do I need to disconnect the battery before un-wiring the leads onto tho back of the magnet? I really don't know how this stuff works. I would assume unless the stereo is ON it won't matter but wanted to be safe.

All I want is any semblance of sound stage, right now I feel like that car has absolutely none compared to my 3 series.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I didn’t disconnect the battery when working on my speakers, except for the sub install.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #25
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
good lord that's a clean install...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Might be a dumb question, but like do I need to disconnect the battery before un-wiring the leads onto tho back of the magnet? I really don't know how this stuff works. I would assume unless the stereo is ON it won't matter but wanted to be safe.

All I want is any semblance of sound stage, right now I feel like that car has absolutely none compared to my 3 series.

Nope. Just make sure the electronics are turned off so that the speakers won't receive a signal.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:

Nope. Just make sure the electronics are turned off so that the speakers won't receive a signal.
I would assume that the speaker leads cannot ever touch or else they will close the circuit and sparks can fly?

I assume you have to tape off the ends of the wires?

Still new to all of this but it would seem they could rattle around and connect while driving...

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #28
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
I would assume that the speaker leads cannot ever touch or else they will close the circuit and sparks can fly?

Still new to all of this but it would seem they could rattle around and connect while driving...
The speaker leads are in a plastic clip (for speedy assembly on the line). They can't touch. You just pop the clip off the woofer cage while the wires are still inside.
(Also it's audio, it's low voltage, no sparks.)

Seth
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      02-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #29
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Quote:

The speaker leads are in a plastic clip (for speedy assembly on the line). They can't touch. You just pop the clip off the woofer cage while the wires are still inside.
(Also it's audio, it's low voltage, no sparks.)

Seth
Thanks bro

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #30
Acheron83
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstone995 View Post
I installed the Eton B100XCN center speaker, made specifically for that purpose. It is a great little speaker and you can pick one up on eBay for about $100.
+1, I've got Etons all around and I must admit the center did make a noticeable change.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #31
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron83 View Post
+1, I've got Etons all around and I must admit the center did make a noticeable change.
Agreed. I just installed this. I had been running with the center speaker disconnected for about 3 years. I much prefer the sound running a quality center channel speaker. Gives the music more depth, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #32
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron83 View Post
Agreed. I just installed this. I had been running with the center speaker disconnected for about 3 years. I much prefer the sound running a quality center channel speaker. Gives the music more depth, IMO.
Did you have the HK before (the one which you were running disconnected before the Erin)?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Null View Post
Did you have the HK before (the one which you were running disconnected before the Erin)?
I do have the HK system. I still remain impressed with the center channel upgrade. I'm also running JL Audio C2-400x rear speakers and Tidal HiFi as my music streaming service. Even with Bluetooth steaming, the difference in sound quality is quite noticeable compared to Spotify. If you want the best sound quality, you need to start with the music source, not the speakers.

I'm extremely pleased with this setup.
      07-22-2021, 03:55 AM   #34
spuzvica
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I do have the HK system. I still remain impressed with the center channel upgrade. I'm also running JL Audio C2-400x rear speakers and Tidal HiFi as my music streaming service. Even with Bluetooth steaming, the difference in sound quality is quite noticeable compared to Spotify. If you want the best sound quality, you need to start with the music source, not the speakers.

I'm extremely pleased with this setup.
Can anyone tell me if the Eton B 100 X CN center speaker also needs the Eton B 100 XHP crossover component as stated here:

https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/product...ct/b-100-x-cn/

Or is it a simple speaker replacement of the OEM one?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #35
asarkisian
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I have to agree that just because there's space for a center speaker, doesn't mean you should use it. Best option is to disconnect and I've been very happy with the results.

Because of its small size, the 2 series in particular has no need for a center speaker. It ruins the soundstage.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:53 AM   #36
spuzvica
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i xDrive

Just in case someone is wondering, the Eton B 100 X CN center speaker
is a decent upgrade. It's not a game changer but it's audibly better. Replacement is straightforward, see attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #37
Dumaurier7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzvica View Post
Just in case someone is wondering, the Eton B 100 X CN center speaker
is a decent upgrade. It's not a game changer but it's audibly better. Replacement is straightforward, see attached.
Hello friends! I'm looking to do a speaker upgrade on the HK system and add a trunk sub in my 235, so far I have decided on doing Eatons all around, is the OEM tweeter retained with the center channel upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:15 AM   #38
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

need help

I am planning to cut the speaker hole by myself since I do not have this center speaker from the factory. I have bought the cover but need some data for the small hole to put the clips in.

Any one who has the OEM speaker can measure the size of the hole and share the number here?

Really appreciate!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0