THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade

11-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
lieb923
lieb923
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235Xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
I'm adding picture of rear speaker replacement.
All I had to do to fit Morel speaker is to bend (or remove) two of the four mounting tabs and fabricated hold down tab using hardware that came with the speakers.
I also used speaker wire adapter to avoid cutting factory connector.
Where did you get the adapter? Part number?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #24
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

I am curious if anyone has got a good upgrade option for the low end on the HK system...I don't want to put a box in the limited trunk space and options for replacing the underseat woofers e.g. Focal or stealth mods e.g. BAVSOUND don't appear to be widely available / in use.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #25
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
I am curious if anyone has got a good upgrade option for the low end on the HK system...I don't want to put a box in the limited trunk space and options for replacing the underseat woofers e.g. Focal or stealth mods e.g. BAVSOUND don't appear to be widely available / in use.
List is a bit old: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #26
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
The procedure replacing door speakers on F30 is very similar.
In fact I've read and watch F30 procedures before attempting to work on my car.
The differences are in the handle trim and panel screws.
On F22 you have to remove 5 screws (2 on door handle, 2 bottom of panel and 1 door latch).
The door trim is held by two metal springs and several plastic tabs on the perimeter.
You have to start from opening in the bottom and work your way up and around.
The aluminum trim is soft and easy to dent the edges while trying to ply off the trim (even using plastic tool).

I have added photos of the door panel removed and door without door panel.
I've also included picture of removed handle trim.
I'm going to have the door and rears upgraded soon as well. My question is this - The door appears to have some good sound deadening, but if you had extra dynamat, would you have it line the door more and maybe the rear deck (inside the trunk)? This improved the sound greatly in my Audi.
      11-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I'm going to have the door and rears upgraded soon as well. My question is this - The door appears to have some good sound deadening, but if you had extra dynamat, would you have it line the door more and maybe the rear deck (inside the trunk)? This improved the sound greatly in my Audi.
There is no sound deadnening on the doors.
Those are foam insulators/sealers.
I actually had Dynamat sheets with me but elected not to use them on front doors due already existing clearance issue I had with speaker+adapter which as about 25mm thick compared to 20mm thickness of the OEM.
I'm sure it would have fitted as door panels were flexible enough and I did not wanted to have bulging area around the speaker panel area.
I also do not think it ould have make a huge different as the speaker is a bit de-coupled from the door due to the adapter and thick layer of foam insulation that was added.
The rear speakers are not coupled or attached to any metal surface so it will be a waste of money to add deadnening material there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #28
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no sound deadnening on the doors.
Those are foam insulators/sealers.
I actually had Dynamat sheets with me but elected not to use them on front doors due already existing clearance issue I had with speaker+adapter which as about 25mm thick compared to 20mm thickness of the OEM.
I'm sure it would have fitted as door panels were flexible enough and I did not wanted to have bulging area around the speaker panel area.
I also do not think it ould have make a huge different as the speaker is a bit de-coupled from the door due to the adapter and thick layer of foam insulation that was added.
The rear speakers are not coupled or attached to any metal surface so it will be a waste of money to add deadnening material there.
Thanks for the feedback. Next question - Anyone know if these subwoofers would fit under the seats w/o modification? I have seen other forum threads for 8" replacements, but always with modification (plexiglass, spacers, etc). As a bonus, they are sold as a pair :P

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-10841-s...ofer-pair.aspx
      11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #29
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I posted a link to a list of different speaker upgrades available a few posts up. Those speakers are 6.5" vs the 8" OEM woofer. How do you figure they'll drop right in? More like they'll drop right through the mounting bracket. Lol
      11-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #30
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I posted a link to a list of different speaker upgrades available a few posts up. Those speakers are 6.5" vs the 8" OEM woofer. How do you figure they'll drop right in? More like they'll drop right through the mounting bracket. Lol
A spacing adapter would be needed, but the OEM face plate should still fit. All other OEM replacement threads discuss the need for additional spacing to the face plate to make it fit and the subwoofer not hit it.

Or does the SWS 8xi fit with no modifications necessary?

Follow up question to SWS: Is the OEM amp strong enough to drive two of these? My guess is no.
      11-30-2014, 03:24 AM   #31
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

If I don't have the upgraded HK audio, can I install a sub under my seat?

Plan on tearing out the stock audio and replacing it with something a little better in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
If I don't have the upgraded HK audio, can I install a sub under my seat?

Plan on tearing out the stock audio and replacing it with something a little better in the future.
Your car already has the two eight inch subs under the seats. You can replace them if you want.
      11-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #33
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
Your car already has the two eight inch subs under the seats. You can replace them if you want.
Awesome, thanks! So the HK upgrade only adds a couple of tweeters and a better amp?

Would you happen to know what components (amps, speakers, subs) I can purchase to upgrade each one that fits in the stock mounts? I saw a huge list for 4" speakers earlier, but someone said that it's outdated.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #34
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah. I posted that. It is a bit outdated.

HK might even use the same speakers, but you get two tweeters and power.

I'm personally looking at Jehnert for new subs unless I decide to throw something big in the trunk for low extension. Focal, Mb quart and a few other companies make drop-in replacements, though with a mounting bracket, most 3.5-5.25" speakers with low mount depth should fit the doors. For amps, pm user Technic for a wiring harness and he can set you up to plug in an aftermarket amp. Gonna have to do some research as the options are out there, just not all so easily available. Crutchfield is a good place to start.
      11-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm personally looking at Jehnert for new subs unless I decide to throw something big in the trunk for low extension. Focal, Mb quart and a few other companies make drop-in replacements, though with a mounting bracket, most 3.5-5.25" speakers with low mount depth should fit the doors. For amps, pm user Technic for a wiring harness and he can set you up to plug in an aftermarket amp. Gonna have to do some research as the options are out there, just not all so easily available. Crutchfield is a good place to start.
Looking at Focal myself, would love drop-in sub replacements. If we add an amp, do we need an inline converter like LC6, etc?
      11-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #36
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Amp Upgrade

You don't need line converter if you replace amp with one that accept balanced input like those from JL audio amps.
I recommend getting Technics' hardness so you can do a clean install without cutting any wires.
I will be using a 6 channel amp JL audio XD600 and skip center channel.
It actually sounds better without center channel speaker.
Here is my amp with wire hardness.
I only need to unplug 42-ping plug from the amp and plug the hardness adapter and connect +12V and ground wire.
I've not installed it yet as I'm being lazy and not in a hurry as having done speaker upgrade already has tremendously improved the sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #37
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You only need the LC6i or some other line output converter if you plan to tap into the speaker lines and will not but amps that accept speaker level inputs. You can get the harness from Technic too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #38
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Actually the maximum size for the door and back shelf is four inches unless you do major surgery.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #39
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Actually the maximum size for the door and back shelf is four inches unless you do major surgery.
You're right. Could make some rings that fit both the speakers and the mount points, but it may be more than most care to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #40
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698
Quote:

Looking at Focal myself, would love drop-in sub replacements. If we add an amp, do we need an inline converter like LC6, etc?
Focal does make a drop in replacement shallow 8" now.

T
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #41
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just sent an e-mail to Don at Exquisite Marketing for price quotes on the drop-in sub replacements and the full front soundstage kit by Jehnert.

Last edited by hyperzulu; 12-04-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #42
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I might order these. Have been e-mailing Don with questions about the set and he seems accessible and like he knows what he's talking about. First off, these are not MB Quart rebrands - they are built in the old Ehmann factory in Germany where the old MB Quart speakers were manufactured. If you guys know about car audio, you know MB Quarts used to be extremely good back in the day.

MB Quart makes a QM200.3BMW which is similar to what you get with BAV Sound. That being said, these are much more expensive than your average drop-in replacement system. Compare the MBQs at $399 for six drivers and two crossovers and $859 for the Jehnert set (which includes the same front sound stage replacement - minus the center channel as no one seems to care about it ).

Don also sells the underseat woofers separately for $459 without crossovers.

Even though these will work as drop-ins (which is probably how I'll start the upgrade), a dedicated amp would be best to run an active setup with proper crossover points.

I think the nice thing about something like this is especially with a lease, you can put the stock system back in and use this for the next car. The BMW lines don't seem to change much from year to year. So this could potentially save me from purchasing upgraded audio on the next Bimmer too.

Last edited by hyperzulu; 12-02-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #43
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I might order these. Have been e-mailing Don with questions about the set and he seems accessible and like he knows what he's talking about. First off, these are not MB Quart rebrands - they are built in the old Ehmann factory in Germany where the old MB Quart speakers were manufactured. If you guys know about car audio, you know MB Quarts used to be extremely good back in the day.

MB Quart makes a QM200.3BMW which is similar to what you get with BAV Sound. That being said, these are much more expensive than your average drop-in replacement system. Compare the MBQs at $399 for six drivers and two crossovers and $859 for the Jehnert set (which includes the same front sound stage replacement - minus the center channel as no one seems to care about it ).

Don also sells the underseat woofers separately for $459 without crossovers.

Even though these will work as drop-ins (which is probably how I'll start the upgrade), a dedicated amp would be best to run an active setup with proper crossover points.

I think the nice thing about something like this is especially with a lease, you can put the stock system back in and use this for the next car. The BMW lines don't seem to change much from year to year. So this could potentially save me from purchasing upgraded audio on the next Bimmer too.

Was the $459 quote for both underseat subs or each? I think for a pair, that is a stellar price for OEM guaranteed fit. I think for the rest however, the Focal set makes a more compelling argument. The insulation of the 2 series isn't the most stellar, so I think a sound system over $1000 may be lost on most ears, especially at highway speed.
      12-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #44
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That $459 was for the pair and it includes the spacer brackets for guaranteed fit. Plus these can play down to 50hz, but the stock cross points might filter before then.

I like the full set since they have real components for better imaging like the HK. But these should sound much more crisp. Not sure anything can be done about the insulation though...
Appreciate 0