THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications RW Carbon mirror caps and spoiler

04-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #45
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Carbon View Post
Thank you for the order, will have tracking info for you Monday

We just got in the 3D style CF lip, we should have installed pictures very soon. Diffuser coming in about a month.
Sounds good on the diffuser and front lip. I will keep checking back in for updates! Really looking forward to getting my CF parts and I'm happy to have found a vendor with reasonably priced CF!

This might be a stupid question, but I was wondering who you used for shipping. I received the email with the tracking number, but I wasn't sure where to enter it to get the tracking update. Thank you for any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #46
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Carbon View Post
Thank you for the order, will have tracking info for you Monday

We just got in the 3D style CF lip, we should have installed pictures very soon. Diffuser coming in about a month.
Will the diffuser be a replica of the oem performance diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #47
RW Carbon
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 & G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F22 View Post
Will the diffuser be a replica of the oem performance diffuser?
It will be styled after the Exotics tuning diffuser.

Carbon fiber for the everyday driver: rwcarbon.com
3941 E La Palma Ave Anaheim CA, 92870
info@rwcarbon.com / (714) 328-4406
Instagram/Tiktok/Facebook: @rwcarbon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #48
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Got my CF mirror caps yesterday (RWCarbon). Arrived in perfect condition, no flaws. Fitted them this morning. As someone else pointed out, fitment is not 100%, but very close. In any event, they look great and much better than the stock caps.
Attached Images

'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #49
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

RW Carbon These guys are great! I had some issues with a product of theirs and they had no problem taking care of it. They will always stand by their products with their fantastic customer service! Thanks again for letting me stop by today on such short notice.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #50
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Ordered the spoiler this week, will post some pics when I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #51
228MSport15
Rep
Drives: 2015 228 M Sport

If possible, would like to see pictures of the front splitter mounting points under the front bumper, where does it get screwed in. Can you make holes and used push clips to hold it in place.

Last edited by 228MSport15; 06-19-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #52
stroids88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Frozen Black ///M3

You're asking RW..correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #53
228MSport15
Rep

RW or anyone who has installed it... maybe take a couple of pictures of what it looks like underneath. I'm also thinking of getting the mirrors and front splitter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #54
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228MSport15 View Post
If possible, would like to see pictures of the front splitter mounting points under the front bumper, where does it get screwed in. Can you make holes and used push clips to hold it in place.
The lip comes pre drilled to utilize your factory bolts holding the bumper in place, unscrew about 8 bolts under the bumper and then prop up the lip and screw them back in! Thats all I used to install it and its about as sturdy as can be. No issues whatsover even doing 100mph+
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #55
228MSport15
Rep

Thanks for the info... could you take a couple of pictures and post them.
I'm sure others would like to see it to. Now, I just have to order the mirrors and splitter.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #56
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Got my CF mirror caps yesterday (RWCarbon). Arrived in perfect condition, no flaws. Fitted them this morning. As someone else pointed out, fitment is not 100%, but very close. In any event, they look great and much better than the stock caps.
Could you elaborate on the fitment? Is it very noticeable that fitment is not 100% and what parts of the cap don't fit 100%?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #57
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F22 View Post
Could you elaborate on the fitment? Is it very noticeable that fitment is not 100% and what parts of the cap don't fit 100%?
It's damn near 100%...maybe I'm being too picky. There's a very, very slight gap just between the edge of the CF and the turn signal (I hope I've articulated that correctly). It's not noticeable really...I was just comparing to the OEM fitment. Bottom line (for me), the BMW CF mirror covers are roughly $600/pair in Canada. I like them, but there's no way I was going to pay that! So I figured if these were a "little" off somehow, for 2/3rd's less, then I could live with that.

That said if you look at the photo, it's pretty damn close.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #58
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Rear diffusers are out now.
Spoiler, front lip, diffuser and tint will be the first thing I add on when my car shows up.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #59
Picardias
Rep
Drives: 228i EB

Can any of you guys do me a favour and post a picture of the corners of the Carbon Fiber Spoiler installed?

I was just going to install mine, its from RW as well and because the spoiler is like wider below on the sides and we have a small gap towards the front in the middle if I put it flush with the rear there is like 1cm of uncovered trunk on both sides after the spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #60
Picardias
Rep
Drives: 228i EB

Ok, never mind, I just find a picture where you can see it perfectly, I gees thats the way it is.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #61
triplezoom
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i

Does anyone know if RW's diffuser requires the stock exhaust tips to be extended (similar to the m performance diffuser)?

Last edited by triplezoom; 06-25-2015 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #62
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

I found my tips were a little on the short side after installing the perf diffuser so I picked up a set of the BMW extenders. Much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #63
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

X-post from the recent thread on spoiler installation, in case anyone is looking at getting the RW Carbon Spoiler and installing for the first time

Installed mine tonight. Here my damned novel with pictures for any other noobs who haven't done this before and thinking about doing the same.

Materials:
RW Carbon F22 CF Spoiler
30 lb. fishing line
3M Adhesive Remover Spray
2 rolls 1/2 inch width 3M Super Strength Double Sided Moulding Tape (Red)
3M Automotive Masking Tape (Green)
Microfiber cloths
91% alcohol

1. Remove Existing Spoiler

I washed my car in an automatic wash (no wax, just wash)

I used fishing line instead of dental floss and was surprised how well it worked. Wrapped my hands and sawed gently / garrotted (I've always wanted to use that verb without necessarily killing someone like in a mobster movies) through the adhesive on the stock spoiler - took no more than 30 seconds. Then pulled the stock spoiler off - came off easy.

2. Remove Existing Adhesive

Initially I tried rolling the adhesive off but found it was a bit resistant (evening temperature is around 14-18 degrees celsius). I can see how people get blisters this way.

I then tried 3M Adhesive Remover sprayed onto a cotton washcloth, then rubbed onto the adhesive - this improved ease of removal. After I saw how much better this worked, I sprayed the Adhesive Remover directly onto the remaining adhesive, then wiped off the excess / made sure it didn't dribble down and get into anything on the trunk fascia that might be held with adhesive. If you don't remove the excess Adhesive Remover it's a little too slippery to roll off the adhesive.

This made things a lot easier and I spent at most 15 minutes rolling the majority of the adhesive off - was expecting this to be way worse. You can vary your thumbs / fingers to prevent blisters. I found it worked best to stay parallel to the surface as possible, rolling the top layer of the adhesive first, then rolling back and forth to get the bottom layer. You end up with some adhesive boogers you can flick if you want to relive the offensive thrills of picking your nose. Seriously though clean that up.

With the majority rolled off, I then sprayed the 3M Adhesive Remover onto a microfiber cloth and removed the residual adhesive. It looks like nothing is there. A circular motion is more effective than side to side. Wax on wax off, Daniel San.

Here's a pic of what it looked like when this step was done:

I did not need to use a heat gun or blow dryer - came off way easier than expected. I had also purchased Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover thinking it might be similar to the Turtle Tax Adhesive Remover that I couldn't find in stores, but this was unnecessary, the 3M worked a treat.

3. Prep New Spoiler For Install

I found the 3M 1/2 inch double sided Super Strength Molding Tape to be more useful than the inch wide tape - I bought two rolls of each "just in case". I'm glad I got two rolls because to do the front edge and back edge of the spoiler it took 1.5 rolls and gives you some room to screw up.

At first I cut segments of tape to follow the curvature of the spoiler, but then I found it was easier to just unspool the tape from the roll and apply in a continuous segment, changing the curve of the tape until it was necessary to cut a segment. If I did it again I'd try to go for unspooling the roll wherever possible rather than cutting segments. Easier to put down that way.

Front edge has more cut segments, back edge has a longer continuous segment with some cut segments near the corners:

There is a lip on the back edge of the spoiler that makes it easy to get a visual guide when applying the tape.

The outside front corners were a bit of a hash as I didn't get the tape right up to the edge. The ideal method here might have been to cut shaped pieces for the end - i.e. extend the tape past the outer edge of the spoiler then use a knife or scissors to trim right up to the edge. Don't know if this will cause any problems as weather / washings accumulate and possibly get in this gap, as looking at the underside of the stock spoiler they get pretty close to the edge on the outside corners. We'll see - if anyone has any advice would appreciate it.

4. Install New Spoiler

Then I prepped the surface of the trunk with 91% alcohol on a microfiber cloth, drying up the excess. Didn't bother with ca lay bar or washing, figured the alcohol would be enough to clean off any residual 3M Adhesive Remover.

Best piece of advice from NEUE02 and others was using masking tape to make a target to hit when setting the spoiler for good. Without removing the double sided tape backing, I placed the spoiler on the trunk to check fitment. Found it fit best with a little gap on either of the outside edges, balanced on both sides.

Then checked the mating between the bottom of the spoiler and top back edge of the trunk. Felt pretty smooth and even, there wasn't any apparent gap or overhang, the transition between the spoiler and the edge of the trunk seemed good enough.

I created a triangular point target for each of the outside front edges as I thought this would give an easy target. I then also placed a tape marker in the middle front edge of the spoiler just to give another orientation point.

Removed the adhesive backing (here again the longer continuous segment was easier to work with than the individual cut segments). Can see it being useful to bring tweezers or pliers since us dudes don't have finger nails. I didn't try the technique of partial removal of the adhesive backing, just removed all the backings and aimed for the masking tape targets I created.

Then the moment of truth - initial placement was a little off, but pulled off the spoiler quickly to reset. The tape did pull a bit here but could be easily repositioned as I didn't use heavy pressure when trying to get the initial placement. Got it on the second shot - I can see how this might be easier with two people but eye balling the pointed corner targets help me get it fine. When I saw that it hit the left, center and right targets, I ran my thumb over the front edge then my palms over the back edge to secure the tape. Felt pretty good and stable, didn't bother with masking tape to secure. Cleaned up with rubbing alcohol / microfiber cloth.

All said it took about an hour from start to finish, with a couple breaks in between the major steps above. I'm sure this can be pulled off faster, I was just going carefully and haven't done this before.

Next step is CQuartz Finest on the entire vehicle now that I've installed the spoiler.

Hope this helps whoever may be thinking about doing the same and/or is an effective sleep aid. Thanks to all those who posted their installation process and comments as well as Eric from RW Carbon for fielding some dumb questions.
Appreciate 3
      06-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #64
RW Carbon
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 & G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
X-post from the recent thread on spoiler installation, in case anyone is looking at getting the RW Carbon Spoiler and installing for the first time

Installed mine tonight. Here my damned novel with pictures for any other noobs who haven't done this before and thinking about doing the same.

Materials:
RW Carbon F22 CF Spoiler
30 lb. fishing line
3M Adhesive Remover Spray
2 rolls 1/2 inch width 3M Super Strength Double Sided Moulding Tape (Red)
3M Automotive Masking Tape (Green)
Microfiber cloths
91% alcohol

1. Remove Existing Spoiler

I washed my car in an automatic wash (no wax, just wash)

I used fishing line instead of dental floss and was surprised how well it worked. Wrapped my hands and sawed gently / garrotted (I've always wanted to use that verb without necessarily killing someone like in a mobster movies) through the adhesive on the stock spoiler - took no more than 30 seconds. Then pulled the stock spoiler off - came off easy.

2. Remove Existing Adhesive

Initially I tried rolling the adhesive off but found it was a bit resistant (evening temperature is around 14-18 degrees celsius). I can see how people get blisters this way.

I then tried 3M Adhesive Remover sprayed onto a cotton washcloth, then rubbed onto the adhesive - this improved ease of removal. After I saw how much better this worked, I sprayed the Adhesive Remover directly onto the remaining adhesive, then wiped off the excess / made sure it didn't dribble down and get into anything on the trunk fascia that might be held with adhesive. If you don't remove the excess Adhesive Remover it's a little too slippery to roll off the adhesive.

This made things a lot easier and I spent at most 15 minutes rolling the majority of the adhesive off - was expecting this to be way worse. You can vary your thumbs / fingers to prevent blisters. I found it worked best to stay parallel to the surface as possible, rolling the top layer of the adhesive first, then rolling back and forth to get the bottom layer. You end up with some adhesive boogers you can flick if you want to relive the offensive thrills of picking your nose. Seriously though clean that up.

With the majority rolled off, I then sprayed the 3M Adhesive Remover onto a microfiber cloth and removed the residual adhesive. It looks like nothing is there. A circular motion is more effective than side to side. Wax on wax off, Daniel San.

Here's a pic of what it looked like when this step was done:

I did not need to use a heat gun or blow dryer - came off way easier than expected. I had also purchased Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover thinking it might be similar to the Turtle Tax Adhesive Remover that I couldn't find in stores, but this was unnecessary, the 3M worked a treat.

3. Prep New Spoiler For Install

I found the 3M 1/2 inch double sided Super Strength Molding Tape to be more useful than the inch wide tape - I bought two rolls of each "just in case". I'm glad I got two rolls because to do the front edge and back edge of the spoiler it took 1.5 rolls and gives you some room to screw up.

At first I cut segments of tape to follow the curvature of the spoiler, but then I found it was easier to just unspool the tape from the roll and apply in a continuous segment, changing the curve of the tape until it was necessary to cut a segment. If I did it again I'd try to go for unspooling the roll wherever possible rather than cutting segments. Easier to put down that way.

Front edge has more cut segments, back edge has a longer continuous segment with some cut segments near the corners:

There is a lip on the back edge of the spoiler that makes it easy to get a visual guide when applying the tape.

The outside front corners were a bit of a hash as I didn't get the tape right up to the edge. The ideal method here might have been to cut shaped pieces for the end - i.e. extend the tape past the outer edge of the spoiler then use a knife or scissors to trim right up to the edge. Don't know if this will cause any problems as weather / washings accumulate and possibly get in this gap, as looking at the underside of the stock spoiler they get pretty close to the edge on the outside corners. We'll see - if anyone has any advice would appreciate it.

4. Install New Spoiler

Then I prepped the surface of the trunk with 91% alcohol on a microfiber cloth, drying up the excess. Didn't bother with ca lay bar or washing, figured the alcohol would be enough to clean off any residual 3M Adhesive Remover.

Best piece of advice from NEUE02 and others was using masking tape to make a target to hit when setting the spoiler for good. Without removing the double sided tape backing, I placed the spoiler on the trunk to check fitment. Found it fit best with a little gap on either of the outside edges, balanced on both sides.

Then checked the mating between the bottom of the spoiler and top back edge of the trunk. Felt pretty smooth and even, there wasn't any apparent gap or overhang, the transition between the spoiler and the edge of the trunk seemed good enough.

I created a triangular point target for each of the outside front edges as I thought this would give an easy target. I then also placed a tape marker in the middle front edge of the spoiler just to give another orientation point.

Removed the adhesive backing (here again the longer continuous segment was easier to work with than the individual cut segments). Can see it being useful to bring tweezers or pliers since us dudes don't have finger nails. I didn't try the technique of partial removal of the adhesive backing, just removed all the backings and aimed for the masking tape targets I created.

Then the moment of truth - initial placement was a little off, but pulled off the spoiler quickly to reset. The tape did pull a bit here but could be easily repositioned as I didn't use heavy pressure when trying to get the initial placement. Got it on the second shot - I can see how this might be easier with two people but eye balling the pointed corner targets help me get it fine. When I saw that it hit the left, center and right targets, I ran my thumb over the front edge then my palms over the back edge to secure the tape. Felt pretty good and stable, didn't bother with masking tape to secure. Cleaned up with rubbing alcohol / microfiber cloth.

All said it took about an hour from start to finish, with a couple breaks in between the major steps above. I'm sure this can be pulled off faster, I was just going carefully and haven't done this before.

Next step is CQuartz Finest on the entire vehicle now that I've installed the spoiler.

Hope this helps whoever may be thinking about doing the same and/or is an effective sleep aid. Thanks to all those who posted their installation process and comments as well as Eric from RW Carbon for fielding some dumb questions.
Thank you for the writeup! Very thorough and the spoiler looks killer

Carbon fiber for the everyday driver: rwcarbon.com
3941 E La Palma Ave Anaheim CA, 92870
info@rwcarbon.com / (714) 328-4406
Instagram/Tiktok/Facebook: @rwcarbon
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #65
stroids88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, as it must often happened to many of the BMW enthusiasts I have upgraded. So now I need to carbon fiber fit my new one. And will be making a trip back to RW carbon in the morning. I will post some pictures as soon I get them on!
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #66
stroids88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Before:

oops, I guess I should have started a new thread. and again not sure why mobile app duplicates pics.. I'll try and fix it.
Attached Images

Last edited by stroids88; 07-08-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0