THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications deAuto LED Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, Brake Lights

09-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

nice comparison
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #24
gregharp
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
Osram will also flicker on startup. But the Cree was just flickering once while driving or engine is running.

Follow my instagram and you'll see the video of startup: cbb.chen
I have the Cree reverse and Osram turn signals and I'm seeing the same thing every time I start. I have no good way to observe if this happens when I'm driving.

Can you confirm it has happened while driving? Or only at startup?

I believe this is the car self-checking the lights to determine if any are burned out. They have to send power through the bulbs to see if they have continuity. The LEDs are just so fast and so low current that they light up.

The question is: how often does the car check? If it checks regularly during operation, the lights will flicker potentially even when the car is in motion. I see that turning into a ticket or worse for someone.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #25
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregharp View Post
I have the Cree reverse and Osram turn signals and I'm seeing the same thing every time I start. I have no good way to observe if this happens when I'm driving.

Can you confirm it has happened while driving? Or only at startup?

I believe this is the car self-checking the lights to determine if any are burned out. They have to send power through the bulbs to see if they have continuity. The LEDs are just so fast and so low current that they light up.

The question is: how often does the car check? If it checks regularly during operation, the lights will flicker potentially even when the car is in motion. I see that turning into a ticket or worse for someone.
The flicker is so minimal that I actually have to stare at my tail lights really intensely to tell so no, definitely won't get you a ticket. Unless your lights are so beautiful the police can't take their eyes off of it. I'm gonna have someone drive my car and look behind it but I'm estimating it happens every 15-20 second. However, like I said, it doesn't happen consistently so I'm not exactly sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #26
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
Any updates here from anyone with the CREE or OSRAM? Will there be a different version that's flicker free?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #27
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet

Just took a look to see how to get access to the bulbs in my taillights. so the whole taillight unit has to be removed to get to the bulbs? and is it just the two nuts that have to be removed to get access? any idea the size of those nuts? and can you confirm the reverse bulbs are 1156 bulbs

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #28
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes, your entire taillight unit is hold up by 2 bolts so you're right in both sense. you have to remove both of them. they are small.. maybe size of nickel
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #29
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep

yup I figured out how to get the taillights out. instructions were in the in-dash manual lol.

the nuts are 10mm. and all the bulbs except the rear fog bulbs are 1156.

I stuck in a led bulb I had lying around for the reverse light. but it gave me the strobing on startup and it flickered every minute or so while the car was running, was going to tap in a resistor to see if that fixed it but couldn't find any at home so I took it out for now.

Does your reverse lights from deauto still do this ?

Flickering lights:

it was bright while it lasted

I ordered some new bulbs from alibaba, hoping they should not flicker. I'll make a new thread when they get in

Last edited by G4Z808; 11-12-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep

video is set on private. did you buy the osram or the cree reverse light?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #31
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet
video is set on private. did you buy the osram or the cree reverse light?
fixed.

This is a cree bulb I had lying around the house
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #32
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep

no, the one from deauto didn't flash that long, it was only about 3 sec. You can check out the video on my instagram cbb.chen
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #33
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

hmmm. I like the brightness.. does that flickering only happen on start up??
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #34
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
hmmm. I like the brightness.. does that flickering only happen on start up??
flickers like that on start up , then it does a short flash every minute. Im hoping there is a way to code that out though, supposed to be called cold bulb monitoring, haven't found the code for it yet
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #35
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Z808 View Post
flickers like that on start up , then it does a short flash every minute. Im hoping there is a way to code that out though, supposed to be called cold bulb monitoring, haven't found the code for it yet
You were referring to some other LED man, not deAutoKey???
not sure why you are confusing this thread?

Anyway, I got the deAutoLED bulbs for Christmas as a gift and was like, I can't install them, they will flicker like I saw on the forums, installed, and they were amazing!!!!!!

I'm glad I got these as a gift or I would have never bought them, I love them and they work and look great.

I want to buy their front turns, cannot find the listing??? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
gregharp
Rep

Quote:

Anyway, I got the deAutoLED bulbs for Christmas as a gift and was like, I can't install them, they will flicker like I saw on the forums, installed, and they were amazing!!!!!!

I'm glad I got these as a gift or I would have never bought them, I love them and they work and look great.

No confusion. The deAutoKey LED bulbs definitely flicker on start up. It's quite a light show.

I was going to return them but I haven't gotten around to removing them. Guess I'm stuck with them. Except for the flickering they're great.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #37
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just finished testing front turn signal. Listing is coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregharp View Post
No confusion. The deAutoKey LED bulbs definitely flicker on start up. It's quite a light show.

I was going to return them but I haven't gotten around to removing them. Guess I'm stuck with them. Except for the flickering they're great.
Yes all LEDs will flicker on startup due to the fact that BMW runs lightbulb check when you startup. And the LEDs have different wattage as regular OEM ones which causes the flickering.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #38
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
Just finished testing front turn signal. Listing is coming up soon.

Yes all LEDs will flicker on startup due to the fact that BMW runs lightbulb check when you startup. And the LEDs have different wattage as regular OEM ones which causes the flickering.
Yes, mine do flicker on start up, I was being confused with hyperflashing which would suck. My friend has a different brand LED and they also flicker on start up but they are not as bright as deAutoLEDs so I am happy right now with how it turned out. If they were not bright and flicker on start up it would be returned same day, but loving the look right now.

Sorry for the confusion gregharp, I was avoiding these because I was confusing what you were saying with hyperflashing.

Thanks people
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #39
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
So just to be clear, both the Osram and Cree LEDs sold by deAuto will flicker on startup but it's just the self-test flicker and that's it? No continued flickering after that (while you're actually on the road / driving / etc?)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #40
gregharp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
So just to be clear, both the Osram and Cree LEDs sold by deAuto will flicker on startup but it's just the self-test flicker and that's it? No continued flickering after that (while you're actually on the road / driving / etc?)

Thanks!
So, there is definitely a light show when you start the car. It's pretty spectacular. For a second or so the car looks like an emergency vehicle. Some people would probably pay extra for that feature.

Now, I HAVE observed regular, small flickers every few minutes thereafter while idling in my driveway. I suspect the car rechecks the bulbs. I have not attempted to attach a GoPro to the car or ask someone to closely observe while following me at night to determine if this happens when under way.

I can say that my wife, who told me about the startup flashing, has followed for some distance at night and not seen the car flash while under way.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #41
T4455
Private
Rep

I have not seen any flickering after start up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have no flickering on my turn signals which is Osrams but my friends did tell me that when they pay close attention, there is occasional flicker on my reverse which is Cree.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #43
ctgilles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C

Flickering is normal because of the bulb test by the car. The current is very small but still high enough to activate LEDs. Just deactivate the self-test via coding (warm, kalt, LED)

So I compared the genuine U.S. CREE LED products with "CREE LED" products from AliExpress because they were 1/5th price and I'm always curious. Don't have much to say quality-wise: the finish is somewhat less but you can't see them so not an issue Still running them in my car but no quality issues up until now. Running the U.S. CREE LEDs in a 335i and same results.
So considering the bargain price
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #44
lieb923
lieb923
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235Xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235Xi  [0.00]
US Cree Led

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgilles View Post
Flickering is normal because of the bulb test by the car. The current is very small but still high enough to activate LEDs. Just deactivate the self-test via coding (warm, kalt, LED)

So I compared the genuine U.S. CREE LED products with "CREE LED" products from AliExpress because they were 1/5th price and I'm always curious. Don't have much to say quality-wise: the finish is somewhat less but you can't see them so not an issue Still running them in my car but no quality issues up until now. Running the U.S. CREE LEDs in a 335i and same results.
So considering the bargain price
Do you have a link for the US site?
Appreciate 0