THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics OEM Nav Retrofit Questions - many

02-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

OEM Nav Retrofit Questions - many

Bought the perfect car, a 2017 estoril blue stick shift convertible M240. Perfect except for no nav and a 6.5" screen.

I have read every thread here and have gotten pretty confused by the year / parts / Amber screen / coding....

I wanted the factory nav and apps. There are a few places in Europe and on eBay that sell retrofit kits with used in dash unit, screen and idrive units, noting that you will need dealer coding.

I have no issue putting in the parts and doing bimmercode but if it needs more than that I know my dealer wouldn't touch it.

Questions: which kit would work for an October 2016 build date 2017 model year f22 with the base system.

Would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223498235561

What would be the coding required?

What would I have? Would it be an updateable system with up to date maps and apps

Another vendor in Europe has optional touch screen and updates from CIC to NTB.

So basically I know enough to know I don't know anything.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

What about this id6 retrofit kits from bummer.guru

https://bimmer.guru/product/bmw-evo-...eries-f20-f22/
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:30 AM   #3
CharlieDoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: Civic

But in Canada from where to get a parts in cheapest prices?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Bought the perfect car, a 2017 estoril blue stick shift convertible M240. Perfect except for no nav and a 6.5" screen.

I have read every thread here and have gotten pretty confused by the year / parts / Amber screen / coding....

I wanted the factory nav and apps. There are a few places in Europe and on eBay that sell retrofit kits with used in dash unit, screen and idrive units, noting that you will need dealer coding.

I have no issue putting in the parts and doing bimmercode but if it needs more than that I know my dealer wouldn't touch it.

Questions: which kit would work for an October 2016 build date 2017 model year f22 with the base system.

Would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223498235561

What would I have? Would it be an updateable system with up to date maps and apps

Another vendor in Europe has optional touch screen and updates from CIC to NTB.

So basically I know enough to know I don't know anything.

Thanks in advance.
what's going on man?

i've done this myself with upgrading from 6.5' to an android 10.25' screen (video below) and now have the 8.8' OEM screen. this video below i made explains the coding procedure with bimmercode. let me know if you have any questions

02-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:

You have 3 choices once you replace your 6.5" screen with the 8" screen.

1) try to replace the entire idrive system in the dash car. Most expensive, certainly doable, and does require BMW to unlock for your car. This seems to be what you are really asking to do. Easily will exceed 10% the cost of your entire car but if its important to you then its worth it.

2) just get a carplay head unit adapter on amazon that lets you swap between carplay/android auto and the factory idrive. Significantly cheaper. (if option 1 is $2k in parts, this is maybe $200 in parts). Retain all the OEM functionality and just adds carplay. Will not give you OEM nav, but the app nav's objectively are smarter.

3) don't replace the screen with a BMW screen but one of those android screens. least effort option here but is the least OEM looking.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
What about this id6 retrofit kits from bummer.guru

https://bimmer.guru/product/bmw-evo-...eries-f20-f22/
I'd double check that you're getting a full fledged ID6 unit they may be offering you an ID4 unit which does not support Apple CarPlay.

Further to that, these units likely don't have the GPS connector built in and you will lose Sirius XM and HD radio.

If you're mainly just looking to have an upgraded screen with just CarPlay it's not a bad option.

We're releasing a custom built North American unit with GPS, Sirius XM and HD Radio support soon so stay tuned.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 2