THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Retrofitting Apple CarPlay

08-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Clear_Blue22 holtzgolfer ... a couple of questions about these MMI units (and I know they're different units).

What's the audio quality like? I understand they use the AUX input, not USB, so how does music sound?

What's the GPS accuracy like? Not sure if they are using the car's GPS or the phone and if it's the phone and out of sight, what kind of accuracy are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #24
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Clear_Blue22 holtzgolfer ... a couple of questions about these MMI units (and I know they're different units).

What's the audio quality like? I understand they use the AUX input, not USB, so how does music sound?

What's the GPS accuracy like? Not sure if they are using the car's GPS or the phone and if it's the phone and out of sight, what kind of accuracy are you getting?
Mine isn't an MMI. I have mine FSC coded wireless CarPlay with bmw activation codes. It's only special because I'm not supposed to have CarPlay as an option from factory because I didn't order nav. Steve at codemybimmer.ca found a work around though for my entrynav2 HU

But the gps is straight from my phone and on waze/Apple maps. The audio quality is amazing. Way better than XM radio. Also of note though I have the bavsound ghost subs and the new amp
Appreciate 1
HaiDef23.00
      08-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #25
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Thanks Clear_Blue22 and sorry I misread that. I already have CarPlay (thanks to Steve as well) but the new MMI units from Bimmer-Tech (and presumably soon from others) now also support Android Auto. I am generally not an iPhone user so the possibility of AA really appeals to me. Currently using an iPhone 6S as a CarPlay device on a cheap prepaid SIM, but the possibility of ending that workaround and using AA is where I was going and the answers would be the same for both CarPlay and AA.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #26
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Thanks Clear_Blue22 and sorry I misread that. I already have CarPlay (thanks to Steve as well) but the new MMI units from Bimmer-Tech (and presumably soon from others) now also support Android Auto. I am generally not an iPhone user so the possibility of AA really appeals to me. Currently using an iPhone 6S as a CarPlay device on a cheap prepaid SIM, but the possibility of ending that workaround and using AA is where I was going and the answers would be the same for both CarPlay and AA.
I'm that case, I have been following bimmertech for a while on the promise of a newly updated MMI unit this fall ish... not sure exactly when. Might be worth waiting for because I believe it's supposed to also support wireless
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
maryx
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i conv, 230i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzgolfer View Post
i had a bimmertech carplay mmi plus retrofit installed in my 2017 bmw 230i.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi
The product is outstanding. Installation was performed in less than an hour by my car stereo guy at a cost of $80. So far the mmi plus does everything it was represented to do.
Happy to hear that. I have same car and am planning to install the plus model ASAP. But my guy quoted 2 hrs at $100/hr. Bummer!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #28
Yapper
Rep
Drives: BMW 225XE F45

CarPlay retrofit - where place module in 2 series (AT)

I am liking the CarPlay retrofit options (MMI, Joyetech or UAD). Most bimmers have space under the head unit for the module, but with the F45 (and F22 if not mistaken) there isn't and needs to be installed behind/by the glovebox. I can't find any instructions for this. Anyone can assist?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #29
radio3
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

I have a 2018 with all the prerequisites. Could anyone explain what my options are? I can either buy a subscription from BMW or use some retrofit kit to "steal" it?

When I try to go to Connectstore I get a message that it is no longer available for my car. I registered my car on the Connected web site but still get this message in the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #30
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3 View Post
I have a 2018 with all the prerequisites. Could anyone explain what my options are? I can either buy a subscription from BMW or use some retrofit kit to "steal" it?

When I try to go to Connectstore I get a message that it is no longer available for my car. I registered my car on the Connected web site but still get this message in the car.
Which headunit do you have? (professional, business or non-nav)
You can also drop us your VIN to PM and we'll check that for you
Appreciate 0