THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Took the 2er on its first canyon run today...

03-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
beammeup_scotty
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

What a little rocket! Got the car last week. Came from an E46 so size is just perfect. Feels so nimble around the corners. The M-Performance exhaust was glorious echoing around the canyons. It's nice to not have auto-blip, heel-toeing is so satisfying with the MPE. Not sure about the artificial active sound in the cabin though. Might code it out in the future.

It's nice to live so close to Malibu. Parts of Mulholland is still closed (the snake) due to the fires but plenty of alternate routes.

Cosmetic mods already on their way and currently shopping around for coilovers. Any recommendations?

Attached Images

Last edited by beammeup_scotty; 03-19-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeup_scotty View Post
Cosmetic mods already on their way and currently shopping around for coilovers. Any recommendstions?
I've been very satisfied with the set I got from TC Kline Racing: (http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=796). The link is to TC's 3 Series page, as they don't have a 2 Series page.

I went with double-adjustables in the rear and single-adjustables in the front. The latter was to keep noise on the street at an acceptable level. They work well on the track, and they come with camber plates.

TCK recommended 350# front and 600# rear springs, and they're fine on the street. The build was for a street/track car, so the emphasis was on keeping it liveable on the street. The 600# rear springs were because I also had them install a set of aluminum rear subframe bushings; otherwise, and IIRC, he recommended 550# rear springs.

The closest TC Kline Racing dealer to you is HP Autosport in Santa Barbara: https://www.hpashop.com/main.sc. They are a sponsor of our 2 Addicts forums.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-18-2019 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

No auto-blip you say? Driving with DSC off?

Is this a M235i? You mention the active sound being obvious, but myself and many other M240i owners swear it's not even there anymore. That and the wheels are making me think this is a M235i.

Either way, congratulations and I'm jealous of those roads!
      03-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Got my chance to drive the PCH and canyon roads in Cali last fall (in a shitty rental unfortunately) for the first time and I must say, I'm so jealous of you Californians for having such amazing driving roads in your back yard. I'm actually very tempted to make a road trip to go back down there with my car (literally driving across the continent) just to drive those roads with my own car... if only it isn't so expensive and the Canadian dollar not being so crappy.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
You mention the active sound being obvious, but myself and many other M240i owners swear it's not even there anymore.
Check. In fact, I keep wondering what all the noise is about.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

Little OT but I definitely noticed the difference in noise level when I deleted the ASD. I suspect the fake sound volume may be lowered for the M240i vs. M235i but it is definitely not eliminated. I used the Technic adapter but I have read it can also be coded out for 2017 MY and later. I think the adapter may be required for folks like me who upgraded the H-K amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
beammeup_scotty
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I've been very satisfied with the set I got from TC Kline Racing: (http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=796). The link is to TC's 3 Series page, as they don't have a 2 Series page.

I went with double-adjustables in the rear and single-adjustables in the front. The latter was to keep noise on the street at an acceptable level. They work well on the track, and they come with camber plates.

TCK recommended 350# front and 600# rear springs, and they're fine on the street. The build was for a street/track car, so the emphasis was on keeping it liveable on the street. The 600# rear springs were because I also had them install a set of aluminum rear subframe bushings; otherwise, and IIRC, he recommended 550# rear springs.

The closest TC Kline Racing dealer to you is HP Autosport in Santa Barbara: https://www.hpashop.com/main.sc. They are a sponsor of our 2 Addicts forums.
Thanks. I live in Ventura County so they're pretty close by. Only been looking at KW so it's nice to compare. Looking to hopefully track the car later this year so need the adjustability. Enjoyed the first stock run around the mountains, but tires are pretty worn, so it was hard to push the car. Will definitely go for an M-Perf LSD as well if I can find one at a good price.

Quote:

Is this a M235i? You mention the active sound being obvious, but myself and many other M240i owners swear it's not even there anymore. That and the wheels are making me think this is a M235i.

Yes, it's an M235i. Had DSC off for the most part.

Is it because it's a different platform (B58)? Not sure, tbh. Sound is definitely there; tested the car without the active sound before I took ownership. Kind of prefer a more natural sound with the system off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Got my chance to drive the PCH and canyon roads in Cali last fall (in a shitty rental unfortunately) for the first time and I must say, I'm so jealous of you Californians for having such amazing driving roads in your back yard. I'm actually very tempted to make a road trip to go back down there with my car (literally driving across the continent) just to drive those roads with my own car... if only it isn't so expensive and the Canadian dollar not being so crappy.
We are spoiled and we get like 15 rainy days a year. There is one route I took almost daily (previous car E46 330i) a few years ago as its between home and work. Took longer to get home, but worth it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
Little OT but I definitely noticed the difference in noise level when I deleted the ASD. I suspect the fake sound volume may be lowered for the M240i vs. M235i but it is definitely not eliminated. I used the Technic adapter but I have read it can also be coded out for 2017 MY and later. I think the adapter may be required for folks like me who upgraded the H-K amp.
Yeah, it's definitely there. I test drove a couple of M240s before deciding on this car, but can't exactly remember how the B58 sounded.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

There is no active sound with MPE. You only hear the real exhaust note and it sounds very different from ASD
      03-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:

There is no active sound with MPE. You only hear the real exhaust note and it sounds very different from ASD
Never knew that. Thanks. So do they just usually code it off as part of the install or can you still opt to have it on if you want? Does it sound really strange or something if you keep it on?
      03-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0