THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headlight condensation

03-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
_2fast2furious_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 series

Headlight condensation

Hi i have a new 2 and both headlights have condensation that wont go away. The salesman keeps telling me it normal but i am more than positive they are supposed to replace it under warranty. I kept telling him that it looks like sh!t but they keep trying to brush me off. What should i do?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _2fast2furious_ View Post
Hi i have a new 2 and both headlights have condensation that wont go away. The salesman keeps telling me it normal but i am more than positive they are supposed to replace it under warranty. I kept telling him that it looks like sh!t but they keep trying to brush me off. What should i do?
Take it to a service adviser and not a salesperson. Condensation is not normal and most likely the headlight housing has a crack in it somehwere. Unfortunately, if it's damage caused by external factors (eg: rock chip, crack, etc.) it will not be covered under warranty. The only way warranty will cover is if it's a manufacturer defect and I've never heard of a defect in F22 headlight housings.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Depends how much and whether it ever goes away. The f22 manual specifically calls out condensation in headlights as normal.

I had condensation in my tailights and they replaced them both under warranty last month.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by _2fast2furious_ View Post
Its common for dealer to do that. I guess it depends how much water there is. I had S2000 that developed condensation around 90k miles, I removed lights, dried them out, bought replacement gasket, and applied additional rubber sealer on it. No water after that
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

I'm on my third consecutive BMW in the past 9 years and I've never experienced condensation in the housing once. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 300 days of the year too. I don't see how this is supposed to be normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I'm on my third consecutive BMW in the past 9 years and I've never experienced condensation in the housing once. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 300 days of the year too. I don't see how this is supposed to be normal?
I had some condensation in one headlight in my 135 back in the day, luckily while under warranty. Dealer replaced without question...but I had taken it to the service department, not sales. My assumption is that the salesperson's job is done once u have the car, other than keeping contact to keep ur future business..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

If it’s anything like other modern BMW’s, the headlights are no longer sealed. So some condensation is normal. It mentions this in the owner’s manual and states that condensation is normal in cool or humid weather but if there are water droplets forming in the headlights, they should be checked. I know it sucks to hear, but I had this same experience a few years ago on another BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

Had the same issue (well only one side) and BMW put in a brand new headlight for me under warranty. As suggested, find a different SA or dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
PuMA measure:

Moisture / condensation / dewing in headlight (open with service cap)
TR 5171715-24 - 13/03/19

Complaint:
Misting or water on the inside of the headlight lens cover visible from outside.

Diagram of the fault patterns by way of example are in the attachment.

-Bilder_Pics A: Front headlight misted over
This is not a failure. Please dry headlight as described in measure.

-Bilder_Pics B: Front headlight leaking
This is a failure in the headlight, caused e.g. by a crack in the housing or by poor bonding. Water has entered in liquid form. In this case, drying does not help as water can penetrate again through the damaged area.

Cause
Essentially, this fault pattern can be attributed to the following causes.
- Water/moisture ingress in the headlight housing.
- Thermal conditions that result in condensation.

Note: An important indication that the problem is caused by dewing rather than a leak is that there is misting/condensation on both headlights.
Measure
ATTENTION: This measure only concerns dewing and must not be used for leaking headlights.
(See complaint field, pic b for the difference between the two)

In case of a customer complaint, dry the headlight as described below until the misting has cleared completely.

Connect the battery charger to the vehicle. Open all accessible service covers which can be reached when they are fitted.

Turn on the dipped beam and high beam, until the condensation has cleared completely.
The drying process may last up to 30 minutes.

If there is still condensation water in the headlight after the drying process, the headlight must be removed and then dried using hot air via the service cover opening until the condensation water has completely evaporated. To do this, open all service covers on the headlight in order to ensure faster airflow. If the condensation water is no longer visible, continue blow-drying for approx. 3 minutes in order to remove the remaining humidity from the headlight (remove the headlight in accordance with Repair Instructions. REP: 63 12 010 Remove and install the left/right headlight)

To prevent damage to the headlight, the temperature must not exceed 80°C.

After the drying process, check that the headlight functions correctly and check for dried water stains (for example, limescale or dirty edges).

If there are permanent (dry) stains in the visible area, you must replace the headlight with a new headlight.

Fit the light cover and attachment parts on the headlight, and ensure that the seals are firmly seated. Ensure that the rubber grommets are seated correctly on the ventilation openings.
Then refit the headlight in accordance with Repair Instructions.

CAUTION - AN IMPORTANT NOTE

Perform the following steps for processing the warranty claims:
1) Evaluation and comparison of the fault pattern with the reference pictures in the PuMA measure or in the test module.

2) Full execution of the drying measure described

3) Taking of meaningful digital photos with the following contents:
- An overall picture of the affected headlight (front view at the best).
- Detailed picture
- Scale of size of the fault pattern indicated with a ruler or a coin as reference.

4) Documentation contained in the vehicle records.

Warranty claims will be inspected in this regard.
Validity information
Model series:[E84, F60, E83, F21, E88, E87, F20, F23, E89, F22, F25, I01, F26, R61, R60, E91, E90, E93, E92, F30, F32, F31, G11, F34, F33, F36, F35, G12, I12, F39, E60, F80, F83, E61, F82, F85, E64, E63, F87, E66, F86, E65, F01, F45, F03, F02, F46, F49, F04, F48, F07, F06, F90, E71, E70, F52, G31, F54, F10, G30, F12, F56, G32, F11, F55, F13, F57, F16, F15, F18, R50, G38, R52, R53, R56, R55, R58, R57, R59, E82, E81]
Engine range:[ALL]
Body style:[ALL]
Fault codes:[]
Production period:-
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bilder_Pics_1.pdf (614.2 KB, 382 views)
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
dradernh4179.00