THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Jb+, dinan sport, smoothness

02-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
arts711
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Jb+, dinan sport, smoothness

Hi everyone,

Can anyone chime in on which of these two offers the least lag, smoothest power delivery? I understand they're about the same in terms of gains but would like to maintain the closest to stock feel and maybe even improve lag/response time between the two.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arts711 View Post
Hi everyone,

Can anyone chime in on which of these two offers the least lag, smoothest power delivery? I understand they're about the same in terms of gains but would like to maintain the closest to stock feel and maybe even improve lag/response time between the two.

Thanks!
They should be pretty much the same as they both only hook up to the MAP sensor only. The difference between the two is the Dinan offers control via BT. It's nice to be able to go from full boost +4psi down to -3psi valet mode with a push of a button. Worth the extra money in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I recommend the jb+. It's cheaper. Just plug it in, its set to full already. Add 2.3 gal of e85.. Go for a drive on the highway.

I would encourage you to get at least a drop in filter for your intake.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
arts711
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
I recommend the jb+. It's cheaper. Just plug it in, its set to full already. Add 2.3 gal of e85.. Go for a drive on the highway.

I would encourage you to get at least a drop in filter for your intake.
Does the drop in make a noticable difference? It was definitely something I was considering.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

no. but it will assist with airflow which will eliminate a cel and jerky car movements.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Both devices work the same so power is the same between the two. The Dinan Sport can be adjusted via BT which is nice vs the JB+ which requires a little disassembly and adjustment via an old-school knob.

I've had the Dinan Sport on M235 6MT since last March. I've used all the setting Sport, Sport+, and Race. I've driven in the various sporting driving modes including Traction, Sport+, and DSC Off. What I've found is that the power is usually there, but I can definitely tell the DME is sometimes confused by the boost numbers being requested. The power can occasionally feel flat and inconsistent, especially in hotter/humid ambient temps. I can also feel the DME squashing boost in temps below 30 degrees. Basically the DME is saving the turbo from overboosting in the cold, oxygen rich air.

The Dinan Sport also increases throttle sensitivity, especially with the Sport throttle. This can make driving a bit more difficult with a 6MT. The car feels lively, perhaps a bit too much. I blame the Valvetronic system for this.

I've experimented with all the Dinan Sport settings and have found that Sport (2-2.5 psi) delivers the best driveability and power consistency. For around the town driving, I keep the car in Sport+, but still occasionally get annoyed with the hyper sensitive throttle, especially when trying to get a smooth start in 1st. For hard driving, I run in DSC Off which has the Comfort throttle setting which is more natural feeling during hard driving in the 6MT, though still a bit too laggy for normal driving.

I will say that the 6MT drives the smoothest WITHOUT the Dinan Sport turned on (i.e., in the Stock setting). The Sport throttle setting is perfection, but then when I turn on the Dinan Sport, the throttle goes hyper.

I'll be installing an HJS Euro 6 300 cell downpipe soon. I'm hopeful that the downpipe will help improve the Comfort throttle lag and I can be happy running in DSC Off all the time and the Dinan Sport in the Sport setting.

I have an AFE dry air filter and my car drives better without it when the Dinan Sport is in Sport, Sport+, or Race. I've done LOTS of experimenting with it and the car simply drives better without the filter.

All in all, it's a decent mod for $200-300, but don't expect OEM smooth driveability, especially with the 6MT. I'm sure the auto will be better.

Last edited by XutvJet; 02-12-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Both devices work the same so power is the same between the two. The Dinan Sport can be adjusted via BT which is nice vs the JB+ which requires a little disassembly and adjustment via an old-school knob.

I've had the Dinan Sport on M235 6MT since last March. I've used all the setting Sport, Sport+, and Race. I've driven in the various sporting driving modes including Traction, Sport+, and DSC Off. What I've found is that the power is usually there, but I can definitely tell the DME is sometimes confused by the boost numbers being requested. The power can occasionally feel flat and inconsistent, especially in hotter/humid ambient temps. I can also feel the DME squashing boost in temps below 30 degrees. Basically the DME is saving the turbo from overboosting in the cold, oxygen rich air.

The Dinan Sport also increases throttle sensitivity, especially with the Sport throttle. This can make driving a bit more difficult with a 6MT. The car feels lively, perhaps a bit too much. I blame the Valvetronic system for this.

I've experimented with all the Dinan Sport settings and have found that Sport (2-2.5 psi) delivers the best driveability and power consistency. For around the town driving, I keep the car in Sport+, but still occasionally get annoyed with the hyper sensitive throttle, especially when trying to get a smooth start in 1st. For hard driving, I run in DSC Off which has the Comfort throttle setting which is more natural feeling during hard driving in the 6MT, though still a bit too laggy for normal driving.

I will say that the 6MT drives the smoothest WITHOUT the Dinan Sport turned on (i.e., in the Stock setting). The Sport throttle setting is perfection, but then when I turn on the Dinan Sport, the throttle goes hyper.

I'll be installing an HJS Euro 6 300 cell downpipe soon. I'm hopeful that the downpipe will help improve the Comfort throttle lag and I can be happy running in DSC Off all the time and the Dinan Sport in the Sport setting.

I have an AFE dry air filter and my car drives better without it when the Dinan Sport is in Sport, Sport+, or Race. I've done LOTS of experimenting with it and the car simply drives better without the filter.

All in all, it's a decent mod for $200-300, but don't expect OEM smooth driveability, especially with the 6MT. I'm sure the auto will be better.
XutvJet and I went over this matter in one of my previous threads before as I have the 8AT and do not experience the jerkiness with the Dinan. The same with a throttle controller too. For some reason, the 6MT has sensitivity issues whereas the 8AT seems pretty smooth and seamless. At least in my experience with both devices.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

They are identical in everything except Dinan has bluetooth capabily

We offer the JB+ with 14 days money back guarantee, let me know if you want to give it a try

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
arts711
Private First Class
Rep

thank you all for the feedback. much appreciated.... now to just sell this as a 'necessary' purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
thank you all for the feedback. much appreciated.... now to just sell this as a 'necessary' purchase
That's easy, click pay & forget.
Appreciate 0