THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Extend warranty or not: please help me decide

03-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Extend warranty or not: please help me decide

The factory warranty is about to expire on my very well cared-for 2014 228i M-Sport. I've only done about 22,000 miles in it. I took it for a final warrantied service last week during which the dealership SA was kind enough to authorise new brakes all around. Tires are new (and covered by separate warranty) and apparently the cat (an expensive item to replace when it wears out) is covered by some kind of state-mandated environmental insurance policy.

Given the very good condition of the car and low mileage, the SA does not advocate an expensive mechanical failure extension but merely a maintenance extension at $2095 for 24 months/50,000 miles.

I am lucky enough to have a very fine BMW tuning shop nearby that did a lot of work (mainly Dinan) on the car, including a tune, suspension, re-tuning shocks and replacing the stock pipes. It's a very well-managed and staffed business that does a lot of post-warranty maintenance on BMW and Porsche. I am going to talk to my friends there but meanwhile what do you think?

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

What maintenance items are covered for $2095 for 2 years? Seems like you should be able to maintain your car for much less than that seeing you only drive about 5500 miles/year. Any maintenance could easily be done by an Indie for much less in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
What maintenance items are covered for $2095 for 2 years? Seems like you should be able to maintain your car for much less than that seeing you only drive about 5500 miles/year. Any maintenance could easily be done by an Indie for much less in my opinion.
Thank you; I suspect you're right. When I have a moment later I will scan and attach the document they gave me with full scope of items covered by maintenance warranty extension. It's probably very close to what's covered under the current factory maintenance warranty.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
goover
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i Mineral Gray Met

My understanding was BMW will not extend Dinan tuned cars past the original warranty?

I am speaking of a BMW backed extended warranty not aftermarket......
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
This is the umpteenth thread on extended warranties. They are a form of insurance and like all insurance, are designed to MAKE MONEY FOR THE INSURANCE COMPANY. Very few buyers benefit. And in this case you have a great indy shop and are insuring against expenses that you know you will have. Take the two grand and put it in the bank as your own insurance.
The only kind of insurance worth buying is catastrophic insurance like accident, life ,and homeowners, because a catastrophe is not good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I got extended warranty (+3 years) and as said before it is a type of insurance, for me it eases my mind. I used it on different parts around the car, nothing major but still. It is somewhat a personal choice, I would advocate it but it’s up to you...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the sound advice, gents. I knew someone would come along and ding me for "umpteenth thread" on this subject but everybody's situation is different in terms of miles driven, availability of options, etc.

My dealership is aware of the mods but at no point have they been any kind of impediment to extending the warranty. The dealership is Dinan-licensed, which I would assume is significant.

My current inclination is not to do the extended maintenance warranty, given the low-mileage, my low yearly mileage total and the proximity of very good BMW indie shops here in Los Angeles. I have until April 17th to decide so I'm open to all opinions until then.

Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      03-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm planning on doing an extended warranty, but haven't figured out exact costs so might change my mind if it is too high (full mechanical, but not the electronics-level - I think that is the 'gold' level?). There are several parts in there that make it to 'catastrophic loss' level (like the turbo w/ the built in waste-gate bearings), and just about everything is a nosebleed cost for dealer service. Prepaid maintenance would be a different story - a simple calculation if you plan to use more services than that 2k covers, but it sounds high (will it cover a tranny fluid and diff flush?). I like to change oil faster than the factory schedule, so even w/ the plan I end up paying for some. And a cool deal that they gave you the brake job early; nice to hear of those times the dealers aren't chiseling to the last nickel.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

All good points. Yes, the SA did me a big favour with the last-minute brake replacement and I am going to buy her a gift tomorrow.

FWIW, this honest SA did not advocate a mechanical failure warranty, merely maintenance, based on the condition of the car, mileage and the moderate level of wear-and-tear. They are two separate plans.

I had a 540i once upon a time, a real beast of a Bimmer but it was more car than I needed for city driving and within three months of the factory warranty expiring the catalytic converter went tits-up; replacing it would have cost me $3.5k (and this was 20 years ago) so I sold the car. Re. my 228i, I asked the SA, what would happen if the cat goes?? I was relieved to learn that replacement is covered by some kind of in-state CA emissions insurance coverage, possibly relating to the SULEV engine, I'm not sure. Having to shell out for a failure like this would have influenced my decision whether or not to consider the mechanical failure option.

Appreciate 2
aerobod3612.00
Miata1387.00
      03-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

All cars sold in the US have federally mandated warranty on catalytic converters of 8 years old or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. It's been the way for decades.

I wouldn't waste my money on a service contract as these cars really only require oil/filter changes, spark plugs, brake fluid flushes, and brakes. All of these items are MONUMENTALLY cheaper to do yourself and are quite easy except perhaps brake fluid changes.
      03-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
wichitagreg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Cabriolet

I bought my 2016 M235i used, with 23,000 miles on it and almost a full year of factory warranty left. Knowing that BMW's are very expensive to fix and not really John Deer tough, I popped for the BMW Extended Warranty. If you shop around you can get it discounted. See what Steve Thomas BMW is selling them for these days.

I bought peace of mind mostly, but also I will keep my car stock and probably won't need any major repairs. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
vancitymike
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

I purchased my 2015 a year ago, along with the extended BMW warranty (through BMW of Canada, not the dealer) The warranty was $5000 (I think) (remember, Canadian dollars)

the warranty kicked in about 6 months ago and its already nearly paid for itself. Last week, I got a whole new front suspension (over $4000), the guys at the dealership said it was a common thing. I'll likely change cars before the warranty is over...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
I purchased my 2015 a year ago, along with the extended BMW warranty (through BMW of Canada, not the dealer) The warranty was $5000 (I think) (remember, Canadian dollars)

the warranty kicked in about 6 months ago and its already nearly paid for itself. Last week, I got a whole new front suspension (over $4000), the guys at the dealership said it was a common thing. I'll likely change cars before the warranty is over...
I've done quite a few engine/suspension/wheel mods, albeit quite conservatively (see sig) and I wouldn't have done it without my tuner shop, Avus Autosport. That's partly why a mechanical failure policy won't work for me; I would never trust the dealership over Avus to replace a suspension. Whereas I feel this way, there's no right or wrong approach.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:52 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:

What was replaced and what was the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The suspension, it would appear.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #16
vancitymike
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
There was a knocking noise coming from the drivers side front strut area, they first replaced the sway bars, however that didn't fix the issue and upon further diagnosis, it was found both left and right struts/tension springs were "faulty" and needed to replaced. The cost of the torque-once aluminum bolts was several hundred on its own. It took over 2 weeks but at least my car feels great and the noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There was a knocking noise coming from the drivers side front strut area, they first replaced the sway bars, however that didn't fix the issue and upon further diagnosis, it was found both left and right struts/tension springs were "faulty" and needed to replaced. The cost of the torque-once aluminum bolts was several hundred on its own. It took over 2 weeks but at least my car feels great and the noise is gone.
Thanks for the information. Now I know where to look if I have a front end knock.

I'm constantly in shock of the prices BMW charges for simple work and parts. Now granted you've got to lower the subframe to get the sway bar out, I'm not sure why in the hell they'd need to do that to access the sway bar bushing/mounts or the end links. The only reason to lower the subframe is to get the bar out. Everything else is accessible with the bar and subframe in place.

The front control arms and tension rods are readily available for ~$500 and can be replaced in a matter of maybe 2 hours if you're slow and this includes jacking up the car and removing the wheels. You'd also need a front end alignment ($150 on a bad day). The one-use bolts (which most people reuse) are pricey, but not that bad. For the front control arms and tension rods bolts, you're looking at around $15.

If they replaced a electronic front strut, those are around $350 a piece and easily removed and fully disassembled in 30 minutes or less.

Where they get $4,000, even in Canadian dollars, is beyond boggling. I guess this is where it pays to be a shadetree mechanic when you're out of warranty.
      03-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I didn't read through all the post but the value of these plans is almost entirely dependent upon whether or not they cover / you will need brakes during the period. That's the biggie that can be anticipated.
Appreciate 0