THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Southeast Building Zero

02-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #45
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Great update on the car. I'm still loving my WeatherTech mats. I have the rears as well and they have saved me a ton of time in cleaning the car out every weekend. It's my daily and I work a Gold mine so there's always mud or dirt in the mats. A quick rinse and they are clean. They catch almost everything. I just wish the driver's side was a little higher up near the tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #46
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Back for another update and this time it's about the Active Autowerke 8 piggyback tune. I'll start off by saying that I got this used from the classifieds section, so the price I paid colors my feelings about this unit. I've been saving up for a Fabspeed down pipe to match my exhaust, but I saw this deal and couldn't pass it up. I eventually want to go with a Bootmode ecu/dme tune, but my car still has 3 years of warranty left. I figured that a piggyback would be a decent stop-gap until then. On to the review....

I put it on and less than a week later took it off lol. That's probably not what you expected me to say. I will added that I did reinstall it after a day. Here's the thing. Whenever I saw ppl talking about piggyback tunes (including this one) they'd say things like "I could really feel the difference" or "after X rpm the power would really kick in". They were saying "Really!", so when I installed it I was like "Really?"

I think I set my expectations a bit too high. After all, this is like a stage 1.5 tune at best. The best way I can describe it is to imagine the difference you feel today between the comfort and sport modes on your car. Now imagine that sport+ had the same throttle response improvement over sport. However, the bump isn't as drastic as the difference between comfort and sport. In other words, if comfort is your car at 70% and sport is your car at 90% then the AA8 is your car at 100%.

Apparently the module needs time to "learn" your car and after living with it for a couple of weeks I'd have to agree. When I first installed it I felt like sometimes the car was being held back. Other times I'd get a weird surge of power. Power delivery is still a bit schizophrenic and a bit unpredictable, but it's evening out. I'm running it on setting 6 which is the default. I've read the setting 5 has smoother power delivery, but at the cost of power as each setting is .3 bar of boost. In fact, I started at setting 5 which I think added to my disappointment in the module.

In sport mode there's just not as much "lag" as there is without the module. I feel like it moves when I want it to and i don't have to let power build up aka forced to climb up to 4k+ rpm in stock form. Since the tune is rpm based you don't feel too much of a difference below 2,500 rpm which is nice when you've got wifie and kiddos in the car. However, this tends to making you feel like you really have to get on it in order to get the most out of the tune. I wish more difference was available even if that meant driving in comfort mode when others are with me. That said, it's made passing and/or getting out of the way of trouble a breeze and frankly quite fun. There's just an added immediacy to the car. Remember when I said that I uninstalled the module? Well, the car felt sluggish when I removed it. It was only then that I was able to see the benefit that the AA8 was affording me. So, yeah, the car "really" moves now when you hit 2,500 rpm. Hyperbole aside, it does make a difference and is quite intoxicating.....I just need more and lower in the rpm band.

Downsides? Well, when I first installed it I got at CEL which I was able to clear with the Torque app. I checked the codes and I had two faults even with the CEL off. Both codes pertained to the intake temp gauge which I believe is on the boost pressure sensor that you connect the module to. This is also one of the reasons why I removed the module. To my dismay, I still had the codes with the module uninstalled. Now I'm not sure if I had these faults before the install and now I'm a tad worried that the dealer will see this as indication that I have a tune even if I remove the module before taking the car in for service. Andrew at AA was great though and answered my PM's even though it was a Saturday morning and despite the fact that I bought the unit used.

Installation is pretty easy aside from the cam position sensor. I bought a cheap pick from an auto parts store which made disconnecting the OEM connections a billion times easier. The issue with the cam position sensor came when actually trying to plug the AA8 harness into the sensor. So little room for your fingers. :/ Now that I know what I'm doing I'd say that I could install one of these in about 15 mins easy. Andrew also suggested some 90* needle nosed pliers. That would definitely make installing the cps connector a lot easier.

So, is this mod worth it? If I didn't have the faults and given the price I paid I'd say absolutely. Even with the faults I lean more towards yes despite my lingering fear of being flagged at the dealer. I would be a bit disappointed if I had paid the full retail price though. Especially if I was out of warranty. The Bootmode tune is either less or right about the same as the AA8 at retail and that allows you to load various inexpensive tunes.

All in all I'm happy, but I'm really itching for a down pipe now. Oh, side note, this seems to have made my exhaust a tiny bit louder, but that could be in my head. :|

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 03-30-2017 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #47
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Great update and I'm glad you are enjoying your car. I'm itching for a down pipe as well, CATless of course, and use the DashCommand app. I really think that there is so much more potential in the 2 series as a whole than most people realize.

I got the JB Stage 1 tune and it was quick and easy. I really like the added power for those passing situations and evasive maneuvers that you mentioned. No CEL's but I did get some sort of DTC system error. It went away and hasn't come back since. No stored code either. Once day I think I will go full bolt on with the JB4 and an engine build. the TC light comes on a WHOLE lot more.

Thanks again for sharing your review and maybe one day we can meet at Cars and Coffee either here or there and talk cars. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #48
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got the dct error as well whenever I added or removed the module. goes away when you come to a stop. meeting up would be cool man. are you a member of your local BMW CCA?

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #49
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

I'm not a member of my local chapter. I went SCCA last year instead. I should though. Maybe I will get around to it this year. Ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #50
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quick update on the Active Autowerke 8 piggyback tune. I've removed it lol. It was a fine tune for sure, but I had some routine maintenance coming up. After removing it I was too lazy to reinstall it. Mainly due to the new OBD tunes that have been coming available. Speaking of, I've chosen an OBD tune and I've decided to go with the BM3 platform. The BM3 platform finally supports unlocking and tuning via the OBD port and I can easily go to a stage 2 tune when the time comes. I ordered the BM3 unit last night and I await its delivery. Back to the AA8 unit.

My overall impression is that the unit made the car wake up. Since removing the piggyback my car feels slow in comparison. It's like I'm just waiting for the car to actually wake up. I highly recommend getting a stage 1 tune if you don't plan on getting a down pipe anytime soon. The unit did have its downsides though. Primarily in power delivery. Right around 2,500 rpm you'd feel a big bump in power. This bump would sometimes lead to a CEL. I think this may be due to my car being a 2016 and the unit MAY have been coded for a 2014?? :/ Idk. I've not seen anyone else complain about this, so I'm going to attribute it to that. Even with the unit removed I'm still seeing the bump in power. I think this may be due to the ECU adapting to the piggyback. I can clear this behavior when I get the BM3 tune installed. Moral of the story, don't buy a used piggyback unless it came off of a car that's the same model year as yours. Another issue was my charge pipe. Sometimes the unit would create too much boost and you could feel the pressure just escape the CP. I'm surprised that I didn't crack it to be honest with you. :/

In the end I'm super happy that I purchased the unit and I had A LOT of fun with it. Install is a bit of a bitch, so only install one if you don't ever plan on taking it off for dealer visits. I will not resell my unit due to the issue I ran into. I don't want someone else to run into the same problem.

That said.........I can't wait to get the BM3 flash tune installed!

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #51
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

It's good to hear that you are still having a great time with the 2. I'm also contemplating one of the new tunes that have come out so I can't wait to hear the outcome of your new adventure. I just added some brake items and sticky tires so it's been fun so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #52
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh nice. what did you get?

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #53
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Oh nice. what did you get?
I actually just signed up to be a BMWCCA member here for the Sandlapper Chapter.

As far as brakes go here's what I did:

StopTech Sport pads on all 4 corners
- the wear sensors don't work with these pads, the steel backing plate is too thick.
- tons more braking force
StopTech stainless steel lines
- much for pedal feel
- instant braking force, no more give in the pedal when braking hard
aTe DOT 4 fluid
- SL-6 Low Viscosity
Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires in 215/45 17
- comparable to the new Michelin 4 S tires
- at the time they didn't make the 4S in that size

I'm keeping the tune. I chalked it up to the engine management being sensitive. I want to get a flash tune at some point but who knows. In a short time this thing will be paid off and I will get something else and make the 228 into a track/ridiculous once in a while drive to work car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #54
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've been living with the Bootmod3 OBD ECU flash tune for a few weeks now and figured it's time for a quick review. I'm currently on a stage 1 map as I've yet to get a down pipe or charge pipe. The superlatives you've heard about it are pretty accurate. Nice smooth delivery of power and lots of it.

As mentioned before I used to have the Active Autowerke 8 piggyback tune. While I enjoyed having it I was never really happy with the way that it would abruptly bump power around 2,500 rpm. After I removed it my ecu was still using the adaptations it had learned from its time with the AA8 and I was experiencing that annoying bump in power. At times that bump would cause a CEL.

With the BM3 map there's still a bump in power at 2,500 rpm, but it's far less pronounced. The power just pours on from there. Comfort mode feels a lot like stock Sport and Sport+, but better. Sport and Sport+ feel almost effortless. If I want to pass someone I just pass them. I won't be able to adequately describe how good the car feels. Let's just say that I look forward to my drives even more than I already did. My exhaust sounds louder too which was an unexpected result.

The process of flashing is pretty straightforward with one caveat. You need to make sure that you have the latest version of the BM3 agent. This is the client that acts as the middle man between your car and the Bootmod3 servers. I was using their Android "app" (it's really just their web page disguised as an app) and their OBD wifi agent device. If you're running with that setup then make sure that both your phone and wifi agent device have the latest updates. The wifi agent device from Pro Tuning Freaks (they're the ones that created BM3) is way overpriced. I wish I had known that before I purchased. They charge $300 for it. You can build the same exact thing for $60. I'm kicking myself for that. If you're not the handy type then I guess you can buy it. If you don't want to use the wifi agent device you can use a laptop as well.

Once you get all devices in question updated it's just a matter of plugging in your eNet cable into your car's OBDII port and flashing. They recommend that you use a battery charger when flashing. I did on my first flash which includes the DME unlock. I did not on all subsequent flashes. Proceed at your own risk though. For the first flash I would definitely recommend using one since the first flash takes longer. Roughly 5 minutes. Subsequent flashes take around a minute at most. Speaking of which, switching maps is a breeze. I was switching between the 91 and 93 octane maps. I use 93 octane gas, but I kind of felt like the 91 octane map felt better. I did finally settle on the 93 octane map though just to match the fuel that I'm using.

Another attractive option with the BM3 is the ability to data log. If you're going to be doing a lot of data logs I'd say that it's worth investing the time and/or money in the wifi agent device. With the wifi agent you can also have a dashboard up and running. I haven't found a good way to track oil temps in Fahrenheit though.

The only downside so far is that the bootmode.net site can sometimes be clunky and inoperable. For instance, I want to post a data log here, but it won't generate the share link at the moment. :/ I'll post it later I guess.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase. Well, not happy about over paying for the wifi device, but whatever. The license itself is also a bit pricier at $600. I also bought the map pack for an additional $50 which gives you access to all BM3 off the shelf maps. I doubt I'll ever do a custom tune as I've been very happy with my stage 1 OTS map.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #55
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

That's great to hear that you are enjoying the new tune and it's smoothness. The capabilities of the BM3 platform are what are attractive to me. I don't think I would spring for the WiFi as I have a spare laptop laying around I could dedicate to the car. I use the WiFi dongle and the dash command app to monitor oil/coolant/boost using my iPhone. It's pretty handy.

I just did the OEM exhaust mod and I love it. Lots of burble and sounds great at WOT and cold start. With having the resonator already deleted I still don't have any drone. Catless down pipe will be the last thing for the exhaust. That will be after I change to a flash tune from the piggy back.

I will have to cruise down to Charleston for a Cars and Coffee some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #56
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's been a fun ride, but I've sold this vehicle. I work from home now and my commutes rarely take me more than 3 miles away from home. When I do venture out I usually need my SUV, so my M235 just kinda sat there or wouldn't be driven very far.

I paid 43k in 2016 for the car. I sold it to CarMax this past weekend for $29,800. That's almost 3k over the current book value. I couldn't pass that up. I'm in the market for a new SUV and I wanted to go ahead and lock in that price while the market is still pretty stupid.

I'm looking to get the new Infiniti QX60 which is so new that dealers have just recently received allocations. All of which have been spoken for of course. I can't even submit a build order. I'm at the mercy of whatever a dealer happens to receive. Supposedly I can put in an order next month. This will be my second Infiniti. I'm not dead set on it though. I'm also in line to place a build order for a Telluride and I'm also looking into a Tesla Model Y.

I want to thank the forum for all of the help, advice, purchases, and entertainment. It's bitter sweet, but it's time to move on. I've driven Zero so infrequently over the last year and a half that I don't even really miss it. I felt bad for the car, so I'm hoping that it will go to someone that will drive it. It'll be fun to watch it go up on CarMax's site.

Build thread
Appreciate 0