THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Certified Used BMW Sold After Undisclosed Body Work

10-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #23
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
In some cases cars are damaged prior to first arrival at a dealership. Repairs to them precede the first sale and are never reported.

CPO cars are supposed to have no bad stories...
CPO cars are used at the end of the day.

Good point about new cars sustaining damage during shipping. I believe the threshold to disclose damage to the first buyer if repairs exceed $1500.

Even if you buy a brand new spanning car, using a panel paint meter is still well warranted.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #24
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Good advice. But remember the car is now your problem since you accepted it and signed over the papers. Always, always inspect the car yourself or have a trusted mechanic put the thing on a lift. A prepurchase inspection can save you thousands and many headaches down the road.
He had a preinspection done. I would think the best course is to contact the inspection company and get them to pay for the repair that they missed. Or at least put pressure on the dealer to pay for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #25
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017M240i View Post
I have already called BMW. They won’t provide me with any history. They said they’d call the dealership. Dealership is ignoring me. It took them 9 months of constant reminders to send me the second key. To be clear, BMW CPO means nothing, and BMW doesn’t stand behind certifications. They tell me to sue the dealership.

The issue with any car that has been painted is that on trade in you can be sure they’ll take a meter to it and rip you off on trade in.

I’ve contacted BBB and the attorney general. As to social media, what outlets would you suggest?
The CPO is only as good as the dealership selling the car. By rights, the dealership should have disclosed the previous body work (regardless if minor). Additionally dealership should not accept shoddy repairs from a body shop.

The best BMW corporate can do is contact the dealership and get the facts behind the car. Again, if the dealership is dishonest, they can gloss it over making you out to be the bad guy. Being out of state, I think you are stuck.

You can certainly pursue action through the BBB and Attorneys General, but again, in today's world, don't expect much. Over state lines, and the bureaucratic drones that work in state governments (and most other places) who only put enough effort into their jobs to get by.......good luck.

Unless you have infinite patience, unlimited time, enjoy endless letter writing, and unproductive phones calls, you may be better served to let it go and chalk this one up to a life lesson. Six months from now and doing all of the the above, you'll likely be right where you are now...pissed off and feeling cheated.

Not trying to diminish or trivialize your situation, I'd be pissed off also. If after contacting the dealership and BMW corporate, and the dealership didn't own up to and offer something to fix the situation, my 60+ years of experience in dealing w/ similar situations tells me to move on or drive myself crazy.

If the dealership has a website where you can post you displeasure, do that. Also use Yelp, Google, and other websites that have that dealership's customer ratings to post you buying experience. One * ratings is about all you have the power to do...and surprisingly, doing that can be somewhat therapeutic.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017M240i View Post
I asked about past damage. I made it clear I did not want a car that had any body work or non-factory paint as this will diminish value on trade in. If the car had actually been hit it should have also been reflected on Carfax, which is was not.
Didn't you request a carfax ?
Car fax means nothing.
I agree. I've looked at several cars with obvious collision damage and a clean CarFax. My 06 325 had an some body work as a result of the airport snow machine plummeting my car with ice. That showed a collision. CarFax could not have given two shits. Criminals as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Good advice. But remember the car is now your problem since you accepted it and signed over the papers. Always, always inspect the car yourself or have a trusted mechanic put the thing on a lift. A prepurchase inspection can save you thousands and many headaches down the road.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... unfortunately for OP he didn't follow your advice and is now in a sticky situation.
Appreciate 0