THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Grace period for complimentary service

07-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
morse2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6spd

Grace period for complimentary service

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this community, though I've been a long time fan ever since I was doing the research for my eventual purchase of a 2016 M235i. I wanted to write to ask for some advice.

I purchased my car CPO in May last year, and had I been able to bring the car in at the normal one-year interval for maintenance, the cost would've been covered. Due to the COVID-19 lockdown, that obviously did not happen. When I brought the car to my local dealer on Jul. 1, they informed me that BMW had offered a grace period of up to Jun. 30--one that was not publicized. As a result, they refused to cover the service, and asked that I consult with BMW corporate to see if they'd make an exception. The case manager at BMW corporate has informed me that they rejected this request, and are making absolutely no exceptions

The car has ~35,000 miles, and the maintenance quote is nearly $700. On top of this, the exhaust is rattling (I suspect a flap issue), and that may require additional service, but the dealer said that diagnosing the problem would require a ~$200 standalone fee (though if I paid for the maintenance, they'd take a look). One additional complication: I live in LA and bought the car in SF, so my local dealer is different than the one from which I purchased the car.

Does anyone have any advice for how to proceed? I assume that people have gotten exceptions to these types of situations in the past, but unsure if I should continue to go through BMW corporate, try to find a different local dealer (recs welcome in the LA area!), or just give up entirely and find a good independent mechanic (though I still have one more year of CPO warranty left). Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Yes people get exceptions for stuff like this all the time, especially if you are a big BMW purchaser.

Sadly they are within their rights to tell you no.

The exhaust rattling you may be able to have covered under the longer emissions warranty if you play that card correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would try another dealer.

The exhaust rattle should be covered under your CPO warranty or the emissions warranty.
Appreciate 0