THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Injector Issues

07-30-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Injector Issues

Hey all,
2016 M235i XDrive, 107K km, Stage 2 93 bm3.
Been dealing with a bad injector for a bit. I originally had the code 140410 misfires, cylinder 4: recognized. First thing I did was change out the plugs but it didn't do anything. The plug in cylinder 4 was black and smelled like fuel so I ordered a new injector. I had a hard time getting the hang of the injector puller but I finally got the sucker out. Put everything back together (I thought) and now I'm getting the code 112301 Injector Cylinder 4, activation: line interruption.
I thought maybe it wasn't installed properly, so I took it all apart again and checked everything. Seems good to me, though maybe that puller didn't push the injector in far enough? The bracket holding cylinders 3 and 4 seems to be mounted properly though.
Also, I knew the new injector had to be coded in, but when I pulled the old one, the code was 215, and so was the new one. I coded it anyway (all my injectors are showing as 215).
Any ideas? What to try next? Thanks for any input!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

You may know this already, (my knowledge is based on the procedure for N54 injectors which I believe is very similar to that for the N55 injectors), although the new injector would have a new PTFE seal with a special cover that can only be removed just before injector fitment, if the injector is removed or not fully seated immediately, then a special tool has to be used to fit a new seal and compress the seal correctly before refitting the injector.

The ISTA needs to be consulted to follow the procedure, otherwise the injector won’t seal properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

I never saw anything anywhere about a special cover on the seal... so I never looked or took anything off the injector - I just put the new decoupling element on the injector and installed it. Is there a cover on the seal then? The injector is a Bosch 62825.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efftooto View Post
I never saw anything anywhere about a special cover on the seal... so I never looked or took anything off the injector - I just put the new decoupling element on the injector and installed it. Is there a cover on the seal then? The injector is a Bosch 62825.

Chris
You will have to get the specific info from the ISTA, but the PTFE seal / decoupling element can't just be installed and then the injector placed into position. The element has to be stretched evenly onto the injector using the specific installation tool, then compressed for a period of time to the correct dimensions with an external sleeve, you then have a limited time to install the injector before the element expands beyond tolerance again. The injector is unlikely to seal correctly without following the procedure. The decoupling element has to be replaced each time the injector is removed and inserted, even if the engine hasn't been run.

Again, this is based on the N54 injector procedure which I believe is the same or similar for the N55 injectors, the exact procedure will need to be confirmed from the ISTA instructions.
Appreciate 1