THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW 2 Series M Performance Parts Pricing and Announcement by BMW NA

04-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #45
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
It is catering to the enthusiast, but they are also pricing it above what most would consider a reasonable cost.

At 3200 USD, it is almost 7.5% of the base cost (43,100 USD) of the car. That seems to be a lot when Porsche is pricing an LSD on the Cayman S at 1320 USD which is just over 2% of the base price (63,800 USD).
You are talking about a factory option...not an accessory. Two completely different things. When a MFG can implement an offering as factory, the take rate goes up dramatically and the price similarly goes down. It's simple economics.

If only say 500 LSDs are sold a year, it costs a lot more to produce than 2-3000 units. I'm not saying its cheap - it's not. But the point is that they are offering it at all. Buy more - show BMW that the enthusiasts truly want it, and watch the price go down.

If the LSD DOES get enough attention and BMW realizes they are missing out, it will become a factory option much closer to what it used to be, I expect in the range of $700-1k.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #46
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I understand the differences between a factory option and what BMW is selling. Even so, I am not sure, other than economies of scale, why it should be so much more expensive than what Porsche is offering. There is nothing about installing it at the factory that would make the part any more or less expensive. The $3200 dollar price doesn't include labor to install it at the dealer, so people can't claim that is the difference. Even if they did, it is still only 2 hours of labor.

That leaves simple economies of scale. I would be curious to see how many LSDs Porsche installs on Caymans compared to BMW's projected demand as that would speak directly to the economies of scale.

My guess is that they are simply pricing it at 50% more than an aftermarked LSD rather than basing the price on the cost of manufacturing, but that is just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #47
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
I understand the differences between a factory option and what BMW is selling. Even so, I am not sure, other than economies of scale, why it should be so much more expensive than what Porsche is offering. There is nothing about installing it at the factory that would make the part any more or less expensive. The $3200 dollar price doesn't include labor to install it at the dealer, so people can't claim that is the difference. Even if they did, it is still only 2 hours of labor.

That leaves simple economies of scale. I would be curious to see how many LSDs Porsche installs on Caymans compared to BMW's projected demand as that would speak directly to the economies of scale.

My guess is that they are simply pricing it at 50% more than an aftermarked LSD rather than basing the price on the cost of manufacturing, but that is just a guess.
I think it might really be BMW just likes to overprice their things.

Another example is the BMW performance seats. You can get the recaros on the CLA45 AMG for 2,250. While none have been released yet for the newer models, the BMW performance seats are double that price! One is a factory option, while the other isn't. Both are, btw, made by Recaro!
      04-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #48
speeddoc74
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

M Performance exhaust question

So I'm kind of a newbie here, but I have a question for anyone that can answer it. I realize that some of the exhaust sound is "piped in" to the cabin, with the car setup with the stock exhaust. What does that mean for the M Performance exhaust? Is that also piped into the cabin, but much louder? Or is that feature a fixed and unchangeable variable on how the exhaust sounds inside of the car? Or is that feature deactivated somehow since the performance exhaust is so much louder that it would overwhelm the interior of the car??

Just trying to figure out if the M performance exhaust, as nice as it may sound on the outside, is going to ruin sound, radio, conversation, etc on the inside of the car.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep
Drives: 09 M5 95 M3 85 M635CSi...

Its my understanding that M Performance parts are priced and positioned as a premium factory engineered and warrantied alternative to aftermarket parts. In this way the LSD pricing is logical.

However, its not at all logical when your most loyal and vocal buyers see an LSD as a necessary option for a car like this. It should be priced as an option and easy for people to take. It seems like a much better brand builder to have many M235i in the market with LSDs than a bunch of cars which were almost great but just fall short of what they could be. Let's hope the LSD migrates from performance parts to factory option or they just hurry up with an M2.

I went through this whole saga with an ex girlfriends AMG C32 that desperately needed an LSD. It only took a decade before Mercedes caught on and started offering LSDs as part of the performance package on AMG cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #50
Caspian
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Porsche's LSD

Hi,

Don't know if this has been posted here, but this is an interesting thread on the quality of the Porsche LSD everyone compares for pricing to the 2 series LSD.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...dissected.html

Cheers!

LD
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #51
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
Hi,

Don't know if this has been posted here, but this is an interesting thread on the quality of the Porsche LSD everyone compares for pricing to the 2 series LSD.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...dissected.html

Cheers!

LD
Interesting read. I wonder what the BMW LSD is going to look like.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #52
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep

That's a shame about the Porsche diff. BMW knows how to do diffs for these cars and up until the traction control era sporty BMWs had LSDs Standard! The E30 & E36 325is and even 318is all had clutch type Limited Slip Differentials. They made a huge difference. In the 80s you could get an LSD on just about any euro market BMW. We had an LSD in our euro e28 535i and it was not an expensive option. My parents E32 750i had a limited slip. Nothing like seeing people's reactions when you have a 750i in a drift :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #53
sergiomgc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem

The optional LSD is a port installed option, meaning there is no charge for the labor to put it on the car. Finally the availability in the US should be July/August. All info is from my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #54
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i* View Post
The optional LSD is a port installed option, meaning there is no charge for the labor to put it on the car. Finally the availability in the US should be July/August. All info is from my dealership.
And if you don't have it port installed? What is the labor then?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #55
sergiomgc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem
Quote:
And if you don't have it port installed? What is the labor then?
My understanding is that it is at least 4/5 hours of labor - unofficial and not confirmed by BMW. All in all at the going rates, around $600 - $800...on top of the part price.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #56
oscr972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 4/16/14 ED AW/Terra

Order Timing for MPP

Does anyone know why I'm being told it's too late to order port installed parts when I haven't signed the lease docs yet and the car won't be at port for another 8 weeks (doing ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #57
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Because ED is invoiced prior to picking up the car, all options and accessories must be added before the car goes 150 status. After that, it is set in stone.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #58
dennislg
Rep
Drives: M235i

From the MP part list, there are front and rear dimpled and slotted rotors.
Can these rotors be directly replacing the stock rotor of M235i?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #59
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislg View Post
From the MP part list, there are front and rear dimpled and slotted rotors.
Can these rotors be directly replacing the stock rotor of M235i?
Yes, as long as the car has 2NH (M Sport Brakes) which are standard on the M235i and optional on the 228i. Alternatively you can order the M Performance Brake kit which comes standard with these dimpled and slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:06 AM   #60
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
I saw the splitter on eBay, and in the description it said that professional installation is highly recommended. My first thought was "how difficult could it be?", and I suppose that could be considered famous last words as I start drilling myself... But really, how difficult could it be?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #61
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
I saw the splitter on eBay, and in the description it said that professional installation is highly recommended. My first thought was "how difficult could it be?", and I suppose that could be considered famous last words as I start drilling myself... But really, how difficult could it be?
i wouldn't think too hard. I'm sure they say that for legal reasons. They don't want someone messing up install and wanting a refund.
      04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #62
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

just FYI, i've seen it for $2500 now for the 335i/435i body, so I would imagine with the usual 4 hour install (2 hours would be great), it'll be about $3200 installed for the F30 owners...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #63
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
My understanding is that it is at least 4/5 hours of labor - unofficial and not confirmed by BMW. All in all at the going rates, around $600 - $800...on top of the part price.
What sort of DIFF is it anyway? The ///M Cars come with FULL-Lock Diffs. People regularly confuse both and call them LSD. The M full lock DIFFs can transferr up to 100% of power to one wheel or both. LIMITED diffs, only transfer up to a predetermined percent of power. No on is asking what you get for $3200. Most cars have limited diffs but the M diffs are pretty special. Anyone know if it's LIMITED or FULL-LOCK Diff?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #64
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep

The M differential is actually a variable rate locking differential (0-25% by many diff builder accounts). Its a fine solution and has some benefits but its not to everyone's taste. Many racers actually replace it with a traditional set locking ratio diff. I actually prefer the feel of the older style 25% all the time locking diffs in E36 and E30 because you don't have to wait for them to load up and lock. My E90 M3 often has a split second of time before the diff locks up. That said, either solution is worlds better than an open diff. I'm pretty sure the M performance set up with be a traditional clutch type diff.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #65
Blown850
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G14 BMW M850i Carbon/Night Blu

M235i Black Line Taillights

Noticed this in the brochure, black lines?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #66
ryancolucci
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i msport

M Performance Pricing

So i picked up my vehicle yesterday from the dealer and to my suprise the price the dealer charged me for my mperformance parts did NOT match the price sheet i have seen on this forum and around the internet. I ordered kidney grills and pedals. According to price sheet they are $160 ($80ea) and $150 respectively. I was charged $230 and $250. It's not a large amount of money but moreso about trust and not being overcharged. He said he wasnt sure and thought maybe it was installation charges which i argued. Specifically since i asked him about installation charges before adding them and he said no. Has anyone added these mperf parts and were you charged anything additional than what the pricing sheet shows? I looked on BMWUSA.com and cannot find any official pricing other than through third party sites. Does anybody have a link directly from bmw?
Appreciate 0