THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum So, I'm keeping the M235, what should I do?

08-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

So, I'm keeping the M235, what should I do?

As the title states I have decided to keep my car for a few more years. After looking at the cars being offered right now and even in the near future, there are not that many that offer much more than the M235i especially when price is considered. I have looked at both M2's, the TT-RS, M3's and several P-cars.

Sure I would love to get the Cayman GT4 or the 911 GTS but why spend all that cash??

I want to fall in love with my car again. Honestly it is the best all around street car I have ever owned. More so than my M5's, e30 M3, Lotus, 335i etc. But the lust has faded...

That being said what would you do to enhance the car? Can be any mod. Engine, suspension (already have the m3/m4 CA's), wheels, interior, audio, really anything. My warranty will expire in a few months.

Bang for the buck is also welcome. Looking forward to reading comments.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      08-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Check out the build thread in my signature. That should give you plenty of ideas in terms of performance. I've changed or tweaked just about everything except the engine.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Best thing you can buy – to keep the 'magic' alive – is a tank of gas. Take your car somewhere fun, for no reason at all. For an hour, a day, or a weekend. Likely you're not bored with your car, as it is... just simply bored with how you're using it. Then, save your $$$ for when you **really** want something new in your garage.

EDIT: Wording tweaks.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Best thing you can buy – to keep the 'magic' alive – is a tank of gas. Take your car somewhere fun, for no reason at all. Maybe you're not bored with your car, as it is... just simply bored with how you're using it. Save your $$$ on mods for when you **really** want something new in your garage.
Unfortunately I live in Fl and we don't have the roads that you do in CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Check out the build thread in my signature. That should give you plenty of ideas in terms of performance. I've changed or tweaked just about everything except the engine.
Thanks Capt. I read the entire thread. Very in depth. Next time you see Eric Foss tell him Jordan Dalessio says hi. I used to work with the teams he raced for a few years back. (Aim Sports was the company I was doing development and support for) I see you have the Solo DL! I have one of the early prototypes in my garage somewhere.

I am looking to do a DP and maybe the LSD. I am not going to track this car. Would just take too much work and $$ to get it where I would want it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Hmmm.....I watch videos from Obsessed Garage and he lives near you. He seems to have no trouble finding B roads to tear up. I live in eastern Kansas and have no issues finding B roads either. Just because you don't live somewhere mountainous doesn't mean you can't have fun driving the car somewhat hard on an empty road.

As for mods, I've learned over the years that the sensation of speed and tastefully setting your car a part from the group is more fun that adding just a ton of power that can't be use effectively or overwhelms the chassis.

My favorite mods are the M Performance LSD (must have) and M Performance exhaust. These two mods really make the car a joy to drive. The LSD lets you do things that simply aren't possible with the stock open differential. The sound of the MPE is so damn good and my friends are in constant awe of how a 6 cylinder can sound so exotic and aggressive. I'm also running the Dinantronics Sport to add a little more power and more importantly, response. The car isn't the fastest thing on the street, but it is still very quick and performs exceptionally for a street car.

With my Alutec Drive 18X8 wheels, I'll soon be running a 245 square MPS4 setup with no suspension mods needed. That extra 1" in tire width will make a huge difference vs the stock 225s plus the tire shoulders will live longer with no need for camber fixes. I'll also be doing the Dinan springs, but only in the back. The springs have 15% more rate which I feel the rear axle needs. I'll run the 1/4" spacers to bring the drop up from 1" in the back to more like 3/4". The slight drop will reduce some of the roll in the back as well. I don't plan on running any other suspension mods. I don't feel the car needs it for street driving and some occasional track use.

Last edited by XutvJet; 08-20-2018 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Hmmm.....I watch videos from Obsessed Garage and he lives near you. He seems to have no trouble finding B roads to tear up. I live in eastern Kansas and have no issues finding B roads either. Just because you don't live somewhere mountainous doesn't mean you can't have fun driving the car somewhat hard on an empty road.

As for mods, I've learned over the years that the sensation of speed and setting your car a part is more fun that adding just a ton of power that can't be use effectively or overwhelms the chassis.

My favorite mods are the M Performance LSD (must have) and M Performance exhaust. These two mods really make the car a joy to drive. The LSD lets you do things that simply aren't possible with the stock open differential. The sound of the MPE is so damn good and my friends are in constant awe of how a 6 cylinder can sound so exotic and aggressive. I'm also running the Dinantronics Sport to add a little more power and more importantly, response. The car isn't the fastest thing on the street, but it is still very quick and performance exceptionally for a street car.

With my Alutec Drive 18X8 wheels, I'll soon be running a 245 square MPS4 setup with no suspension mods needed. That extra 1" in tire width will make a huge difference vs the stock 225s. I'll also be doing the Dinan springs, but only in the back. The springs have 15% more rate which I feel the rear axle needs. I'll run the 1/4" spacers to bring the drop up from 1" in the back to more like 3/4". The slight drop will reduce some of the roll in the back as well. I don't plan on running any other suspension mods. I don't feel the car needs it for street driving and some occasional track use.

Trust me when I tell you about the roads here... Best road around is Sebring and that is 2 hours away. I used to live up north and in CA. Nothing compares to the canyons in CA. Plus Tampa Bay is getting congested.

That being said, thank you for the recomendations for the LSD and the MPE. The LSD is probably at the top of my list. I had a Lotus with an open diff and surprisingly it was not as bad as people might think. Very short wheelbase. Conversely I had a 2002 race car that had the diff welded and that was interesting to say the least! I have heard nothing but praise for the LSD.

The chassis is fine, the issue I find is how the suspension is located. Especially the rear sub frame. There is a lot of movement under load. So I am looking at bushings as well.

Power is something I am interested in. I have been a momentum car guy for a loooong time. My e30 M3 is a perfect example of a momentum car. There were many times I wanted more power. I am not looking for a ton. I am just so used to the car that I want a little more.

Did you have te LSD port installed or did you do it after purchase?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
That being said, thank you for the recomendations for the LSD and the MPE. The LSD is probably at the top of my list. I had a Lotus with an open diff and surprisingly it was not as bad as people might think. Very short wheelbase. Conversely I had a 2002 race car that had the diff welded and that was interesting to say the least! I have heard nothing but praise for the LSD.

The chassis is fine, the issue I find is how the suspension is located. Especially the rear sub frame. There is a lot of movement under load. So I am looking at bushings as well.

Power is something I am interested in. I have been a momentum car guy for a loooong time. My e30 M3 is a perfect example of a momentum car. There were many times I wanted more power. I am not looking for a ton. I am just so used to the car that I want a little more.

Did you have te LSD port installed or did you do it after purchase?
If your Lotus was mid-engine, then the LSD effect isn't remotely as noticeable as there's a ton more weight pushing on and down on that rear axle. I owned my M235 for 2 years before getting the LSD. I had mine installed at a local BMW shop. Here's my thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1493261

If you want a little more power and a super easy install/removal, try the Dinantronic Sport and run the highest octane you can. The power increase is noticeable. You can change the boost gains from less than stock, stock, +2psi, +3psi, and +4psi. +4psi is good for around 40whp/50wtq. In cooler weather (sub mid-70s), the +3psi and +4psi settings are fine and feel great. Once the temps get hot and humid, the +3psi and +4psi settings can make for more lag followed by a big hit in power and sometimes inconsistent power. Once the temps go cool again, all is well. I usually just run +2psi and it feels great all the time, no matter the temp.

I plan to do the HJS Euro 6 downpipe next year. That's good for around 15whp/25wtq with no tuning. The cat also looks very close to OEM. Teamed with the Dinantronics Sport, my 6MT M235 should be making around 340-350whp and 360-370wtq. Basically a fraction more power than an N55 M2. I think that would be as much power as I want to send through the 245 width rear tires. I refer to my car as M Light.
      08-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'd say definitely the LSD. Of course, it's a pricey retro-fit but a lot cheaper than changing the car. I only just fitted it 2 years after purchasing my M235i and I should have done it sooner. Really, it should have had one as standard.

I also had a Lotus Elise 111s Millennium and lack of LSD on that wasn't an issue because of the overall ultra-lightweight dynamics and mid-engine weighting. But on the M-Lites it's a heavier, performance-RWD package, and the LSD brings something to the table, even on public roads.

Also possibly worth doing some driver training on-track, in someone else's car. I did this with an Elise, on a course at Lotus Hethel, and it allowed me to throw the car 'round and even off the track. I got to learn its limits and programmed myself to handle issues automatically.

My wife kindly bought me a wet-weather training course at Goodwood, Sussex UK where they use the M240i Coupι as the training car - booked for Nov and can't wait. If that goes well, I'll probably finance the full track training course myself.

Last edited by msej449; 08-20-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Thanks Capt. I read the entire thread. Very in depth. Next time you see Eric Foss tell him Jordan Dalessio says hi. I used to work with the teams he raced for a few years back. (Aim Sports was the company I was doing development and support for) I see you have the Solo DL! I have one of the early prototypes in my garage somewhere.

I am looking to do a DP and maybe the LSD. I am not going to track this car. Would just take too much work and $$ to get it where I would want it.
Well, now that I know your background this makes it a lot easier! Since you aren't going to track it, I would recommend getting an exhaust - I have the AWE with the muffler removed and a pipe welded in its place - it sounds amazing with not too many of the obnoxious over burbling. Not nearly as loud as I thought it would be.

Second thing that I get a kick out of is the gear noise from the diff mounts (if you're getting the LSD). It's not too loud but it sure makes the car sound like a cup car. I have the rear seats pulled and insulation out so that help transmit the sounds as well.

If I only DD'd the car and didn't want to spend any time at the track with it, I would do the exhaust and diff mounts because for me, the audible feedback of the car plays a huge role into the feel. Modern BMWs lack any mechanical noise because of the market that it caters to. Getting some of that mechanical noise back is amazing. The one thing I miss the most about my 911 is the sound.

For aesthetics, I would do the obvious lowering and wheels. But, I would prioritize cool sounds.

I am building a Spec Miata and will be loading it up with way too much money's worth of AIM sensors. But, data is king and is a fundamental when it comes to being on track.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #11
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If your Lotus was mid-engine, then the LSD effect isn't remotely as noticeable as there's a ton more weight pushing on and down on that rear axle. I owned my M235 for 2 years before getting the LSD. I had mine installed at a local BMW shop. Here's my thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1493261

If you want a little more power and a super easy install/removal, try the Dinantronic Sport and run the highest octane you can. The power increase is noticeable. You can change the boost gains from less than stock, stock, +2psi, +3psi, and +4psi. +4psi is good for around 40whp/50wtq. In cooler weather (sub mid-70s), the +3psi and +4psi settings are fine and feel great. Once the temps get hot and humid, the +3psi and +4psi settings can make for more lag followed by a big hit in power and sometimes inconsistent power. Once the temps go cool again, all is well. I usually just run +2psi and it feels great all the time, no matter the temp.

I plan to do the HJS Euro 6 downpipe next year. That's good for around 15whp/25wtq with no tuning. The cat also looks very close to OEM. Teamed with the Dinantronics Sport, my 6MT M235 should be making around 340-350whp and 360-370wtq. Basically a fraction more power than an N55 M2. I think that would be as much power as I want to send through the 245 width rear tires. I refer to my car as M Light.
Thank you. I actually read that thread yesterday! The LSD is firmly at the top of my list. And thank you for the info on the Dinan piggy back. I will look into that. I have read some and have known Dinan since my 2002 days.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
I'd say definitely the LSD. Of course, it's a pricey retro-fit but a lot cheaper than changing the car. I only just fitted it 2 years after purchasing my M235i and I should have done it sooner. Really, it should have had one as standard.

I also had a Lotus Elise 111s Millennium and lack of LSD on that wasn't an issue because of the overall ultra-lightweight dynamics and mid-engine weighting. But on the M-Lites it's a heavier, performance-RWD package, and the LSD brings something to the table, even on public roads.

Also possibly worth doing some driver training on-track, in someone else's car. I did this with an Elise, on a course at Lotus Hethel, and it allowed me to throw the car 'round and even off the track. I got to learn its limits and programmed myself to handle issues automatically.

My wife kindly bought me a wet-weather training course at Goodwood, Sussex UK where they use the M240i Coupι as the training car - booked for Nov and can't wait. If that goes well, I'll probably finance the full track training course myself.
Yup my Elise had an open diff. Acually Lotus was pushed to offer an LSD by the autocross community.

Track time would be great. But I am not tracking this car. I would have to modify it too much for my skill level. I am not trying to brag but I am use to race cars and dedicated track cars. I use to instruct at Sebring quite a bit when I had my e30 and the Lotus. So I accumulated 1000's of laps there. But your point is well taken. If I could just go with the expectaion of learning the limit of the car, it would be a benefit. My problem would be wanting to modify out all the mechanical short comings. And that as we know is a very slippery slope...

I'm just looking to make my girl a little more fun on the street and a little more to my tastes.

Thank you for also recomending the LSD.

Last edited by jordantii; 08-20-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Well, now that I know your background this makes it a lot easier! Since you aren't going to track it, I would recommend getting an exhaust - I have the AWE with the muffler removed and a pipe welded in its place - it sounds amazing with not too many of the obnoxious over burbling. Not nearly as loud as I thought it would be.

Second thing that I get a kick out of is the gear noise from the diff mounts (if you're getting the LSD). It's not too loud but it sure makes the car sound like a cup car. I have the rear seats pulled and insulation out so that help transmit the sounds as well.

If I only DD'd the car and didn't want to spend any time at the track with it, I would do the exhaust and diff mounts because for me, the audible feedback of the car plays a huge role into the feel. Modern BMWs lack any mechanical noise because of the market that it caters to. Getting some of that mechanical noise back is amazing. The one thing I miss the most about my 911 is the sound.

For aesthetics, I would do the obvious lowering and wheels. But, I would prioritize cool sounds.

I am building a Spec Miata and will be loading it up with way too much money's worth of AIM sensors. But, data is king and is a fundamental when it comes to being on track.
Yes it's a DD for sure. Good call on the mounts. Lowering is in the cards but would want to keep the stock shocks. Problem there is getting a spring that the shocks can control.

So true that data is king. In this day and age if you don't have data you are not winning or going as fast as you could be.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Like others have said, lsd is huge, sound is also.

I have a dinan mid pipe and a tuningwerk muffler and it makes me so happy. Exhaust over run is extremely addicting, and so are the little pops I get in between quick shifts.

Stuff I haven't seen mentioned are seats, steering wheel and shifter.

These are the things you touch everyday and would be the most noticeable. Something similar to the old m performance seats, an alcantara wheel, and maybe a cae shifter.

Cae is one of the most satisfying things I've ever felt.

*Edit*
I just assumed your car was manual. I can't see signatures because I'm on the mobile app.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

M Performance Limited Slip, even if you never track it. The M Performance LSD isn't very aggressive from what I read, just helps get the power down to the ground a little more efficiently. IMHO it's more important than engine mods. Of course good tires are a no brainer.

Maybe upgrade the radio? May help you feel like you got a whole new ride. Also a good detailing inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
Like others have said, lsd is huge, sound is also.

I have a dinan mid pipe and a tuningwerk muffler and it makes me so happy. Exhaust over run is extremely addicting, and so are the little pops I get in between quick shifts.

Stuff I haven't seen mentioned are seats, steering wheel and shifter.

These are the things you touch everyday and would be the most noticeable. Something similar to the old m performance seats, an alcantara wheel, and maybe a cae shifter.

Cae is one of the most satisfying things I've ever felt.

*Edit*
I just assumed your car was manual. I can't see signatures because I'm on the mobile app.
Nope it's the ZF8. I did not spec the car it was at the dealer and it was 12/29/14 I lowballed them and they took it. Honestly I have come to really like it. 95% of the time I am in manual mode. Quite frankly I don't need to make any more H/T downshifts... But now I am missing the left most pedal.

I think the seats are just fine.

Mid-pipe could be interesting instead of the MPE. Hard to justify the cost of the MPE. Downpipe is on the radar as well.

Thanks for all the input gang, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
M Performance Limited Slip, even if you never track it. The M Performance LSD isn't very aggressive from what I read, just helps get the power down to the ground a little more efficiently. IMHO it's more important than engine mods. Of course good tires are a no brainer.

Maybe upgrade the radio? May help you feel like you got a whole new ride. Also a good detailing inside and out.
Yup, yup I have been reading about speaker and amp upgrades. I did disconnect the center speaker a while back. That helped.

Thanks for echoing the LSD upgrade. Seems to be a consensus with everyone that has one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #18
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I totally hear you buddy, I find myself lusting for something newer, m2c or a p car as well. But then again, money is not infinite for me and once I start comparing costs of my 235i to the competition then this little 2 series is almost impossible to beat. That said, if you want to bring some spark back into it then go catless and get a good flash tune and lsd. These 3 mods will change your life!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #19
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
tampa isnt too too bad man. theres some fun roads not terribly far away.

Which side of the bay you on?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
I totally hear you buddy, I find myself lusting for something newer, m2c or a p car as well. But then again, money is not infinite for me and once I start comparing costs of my 235i to the competition then this little 2 series is almost impossible to beat. That said, if you want to bring some spark back into it then go catless and get a good flash tune and lsd. These 3 mods will change your life!
This is my life exactly! I have been looking at the M2c, Cayman GT4/GTS and the 991.2 GTS. And I think you are right. This car is such a niche/sleeper car. LSD for sure, DP and tune seems real as well.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
CP911985.50
      08-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #21
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
tampa isnt too too bad man. theres some fun roads not terribly far away.

Which side of the bay you on?
Pinellas side. Meh, I have yet to find anything in the bay area that is any good. Do you have some secret tarmac I should know about?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #22
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Pinellas side. Meh, I have yet to find anything in the bay area that is any good. Do you have some secret tarmac I should know about?
I dont particularly know anything on that side of the bay, but SCCA does do some solo events up at the brooksville airport runway if that interests you at all.

There are some fun roads up in the lutz/wesley chapel area, theres one nice road off gibsonton drive by tampa area. I dont think you would want to drive all the way over here just for that though.

I drove up to St. Augustine a few weeks ago and took the 'scenic' route, and discovered some really awesome roads up off 75, i cant remember exactly where they were now... but they are definitely worth looking into.
Appreciate 1