THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 2014 228i Iphone USB Interface not working, please help

11-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
EBf22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i m sport

2014 228i Iphone USB Interface not working, please help

Hello,

Just purchased a lightly used 2014 228i m sport, loving it so far. Happy to join the community.

I have the Premium Sound (HK sound), with no Enhanced Bluetooth (no BT audio streaming). After reading for several hours I found out that I can code enhanced bluetooth myself, plan to do that in a couple months when I have some time.

In the meanwhile, I would like to use the USB interface with my Iphone 6 PLUS and lightning cable! Audio works with the Y-Splitter cable I have, but the quality is poor and the R side speaker cuts out frequently. I would like to use the simple USB lightning cable --> iPhone

Current software : Multimedia : MX -003.005.004 and Telephone : TX - 003.005.008
I just updated my car's Audio/Bluetooth software with "UDP01008" today to get these new values^, which did not allow the phone to be picked up via lightning cable by the headunit. My phone is charging, but the headunit still says "USB not connected".

Please advise how I can begin using my IPhone with the iDrive interface (album art, steering wheel control etc) with lightning cable plugged in!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Current owner also of a early 2014 228 MSport, HK Stereo no enhanced Bluetooth. 1. A simple Lighting to USB will simply not work. Car does not recognize it. That's the problem with not getting enhanced BT. I've heard it can be coded but really 'm OK without it.

2. The Y cable works perfectly with mine. At first I did have a issue with r speaker cutting out. Discovered I did not have the Aux(round) end of the Y cable plugged in all the way. You think its in but push a bit harder and youll get one more click. Works great on my with decent sound quality

All your software numbers match mine. Oh, you're not going to get album art until you add enhanced bt
      11-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBf22
Hello,

Just purchased a lightly used 2014 228i m sport, loving it so far. Happy to join the community.

I have the Premium Sound (HK sound), with no Enhanced Bluetooth (no BT audio streaming). After reading for several hours I found out that I can code enhanced bluetooth myself, plan to do that in a couple months when I have some time.

In the meanwhile, I would like to use the USB interface with my Iphone 6 PLUS and lightning cable! Audio works with the Y-Splitter cable I have, but the quality is poor and the R side speaker cuts out frequently. I would like to use the simple USB lightning cable --> iPhone

Current software : Multimedia : MX -003.005.004 and Telephone : TX - 003.005.008
I just updated my car's Audio/Bluetooth software with "UDP01008" today to get these new values^, which did not allow the phone to be picked up via lightning cable by the headunit. My phone is charging, but the headunit still says "USB not connected".

Please advise how I can begin using my IPhone with the iDrive interface (album art, steering wheel control etc) with lightning cable plugged in!!
tccox is only partially correct. You'd need Enhanced Bluetooth to stream music from your 6 Plus to iDrive via Bluetooth. However, to use the Lightning cable connection, you'd need the Technology Package, which is not retrofittable AFAIK.

What I'm not sure about is if Enhanced BT is code-able without the Tech Pack. I think it is, but that just opens up BT to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBf22
Hello,

tccox is only partially correct. You'd need Enhanced Bluetooth to stream music from your 6 Plus to iDrive via Bluetooth. However, to use the Lightning cable connection, you'd need the Technology Package, which is not retrofittable AFAIK.

What I'm not sure about is if Enhanced BT is code-able without the Tech Pack. I think it is, but that just opens up BT to iDrive.
I stand corrected. Check this out
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...usb-activation
      11-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
EBf22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i m sport

tccox Thank you for the Aux input advice!! Went out this morning and pushed a bit harder to hear the final loud "CLICK". My audio quality improved significantly!!! THANK YOU. At first I was shocked at the mediocrity of the premium sound system, really happy to find out, I was wrong. Went out for a joy ride on some mountain roads closeby with the BEST sound I could ask for. Cheers to you man, much appreciated.

Viffermike Thanks for your input ! I'm going to get my coding done in a month or two, so BT audio will work.. for now my newly-improved AUX cable is moreee than enough to satisfy me.

Thanks yall hope you have a great weekend.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I have a 2016 without tech pkg or enhanced bluetooth
I can stream music just fine and when i plug in the lightening cable to my iphone 6, i see album art as well
I just cant get the car to recognize my iPod 5th gen ?
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0