THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes PowerFlex Adjustable TS & LCA Bushings

07-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

PowerFlex Adjustable TS & LCA Bushings

My car, with OE suspension, has ~28K miles on it. I've been considering these as an option to get some negative camber and improve steering feel, when my OE bushings need replacement.

Turner/ECS had them on sale for $105 and $84 respectively, so I ordered them.
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...djustable-2378
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...djustable-2374

They didn't have them in stock, so they'll ship direct from PowerFlex sometime in August. I probably won't install them anytime soon anyway, so that's fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has used these and has any first-hand experience / feedback to share.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 08-01-2020 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I did the fixed Powerflex upper bushings, as BMW shop said they made the most difference. Lower can't hurt but my understanding is you won't feel much difference.

Here's thread on fixed vs adjustable. I didn't want negative camber out of adjustable ones

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1724690
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      08-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I did the fixed Powerflex upper bushings, as BMW shop said they made the most difference. Lower can't hurt but my understanding is you won't feel much difference.

Here's thread on fixed vs adjustable. I didn't want negative camber out of adjustable ones

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1724690
Thanks for providing feedback.
I noticed in another thread you said something had to be 'machined' to make the PowerFlex fixed TS bushings fit. What had to be machined?
That concerned me. Because, after pressing out the OE bushings, the PowerFlex bushings are supposed to fit in the arms.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

The old ones had to be machined out. They should not just pop out (per mechanic) and had to remove arms to do so. From BMW control arm thread:

"Control arm bushing needs to be pressed out of the bracket. There is no good way to do it without a hydraulic press. I used to not own a press so I would take my bushings to a local machine shop to be pressed out"

He said if they "pop" right out, they were in really bad shape.
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      08-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The old ones had to be machined out. They should not just pop out (per mechanic) and had to remove arms to do so. From BMW control arm thread:

"Control arm bushing needs to be pressed out of the bracket. There is no good way to do it without a hydraulic press. I used to not own a press so I would take my bushings to a local machine shop to be pressed out"

He said if they "pop" right out, they were in really bad shape.
Ah, OK. So, it was to get the old bushing out of the arm. Yeah, they need to be pressed out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I received the package today, much earlier than expected. Which was a nice surprise.
But, unfortunately, they sent me the fixed bushings, not the adjustable ones. So, I'm returning these and waiting to hear back from them about if/when they can get the adjustable ones.
And they're going to cost more, because they charged me for the fixed versions.

Last edited by PeterWT; 08-06-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I received the package today, much earlier than expected. Which was a nice surprise.
But, unfortunately, they sent me the fixed bushings, not the adjustable ones. So, I'm returning these and waiting to hear back from them about if/when they can get the adjustable ones.
And they're going to cost more, because they charged me for the fixed versions.
Why did you want adjustable ? read thread I linked on OP having issues with adjustable (in combo with other items) Why I went fixed....will do camber plates for track use

I actually dialed the Powerflex back down to -1.2 per side, so I wish I didn't get the adjustables. The reason being is they have a lifetime warranty, and once they're installed it's super easy to take them in and out of the arm without any special tools. If you get the adjustables and need to replace under warranty, you'll have to do a full alignment every time which for these involves dropping ALL the undershields and front corner shields to access the adjusters. Just my thoughts having gone through all of this, -1.1 with mild drop springs is more than enough camber for street and actually strikes me as the perfect amount for tire wear. I did not consider doing only the front bushing, so it's up to you to make that call
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why did you want adjustable ? read thread I linked on OP having issues with adjustable (in combo with other items) Why I went fixed....will do camber plates for track use

I actually dialed the Powerflex back down to -1.2 per side, so I wish I didn't get the adjustables. The reason being is they have a lifetime warranty, and once they're installed it's super easy to take them in and out of the arm without any special tools. If you get the adjustables and need to replace under warranty, you'll have to do a full alignment every time which for these involves dropping ALL the undershields and front corner shields to access the adjusters. Just my thoughts having gone through all of this, -1.1 with mild drop springs is more than enough camber for street and actually strikes me as the perfect amount for tire wear. I did not consider doing only the front bushing, so it's up to you to make that call
That user had lowering springs, which gave him -1.1* camber, which he is happy with. So, he didn't need to add the adjustable bushings to get more camber.

I am on stock suspension and this car won't see any track time. I don't intend to replace springs or add camber plates, but I want some more negative camber and better steering feel.
So, it seems using adjustable bushings is the simplest way to get the camber I want (-1.25* to -1.5*) and retain the proper caster (~7*), while having adjust-ability for fitment. And, the polyurethane should give me a nice balance between NVH and steering feel, as compared to OE bushings vs. mono-balls. Dropping the under-body panels every ~25K miles for an alignment seems like a minor inconvenience.

I don't want to go with the ///M arms because there is no adjust-ability. So, I am concerned with fitment issues with my 18x8.5 ET40 wheels w/ 235/40 A/S 3+ tires.

My only concerns with the adjustable bushings are:
Ease or difficulty of achieving the alignment settings I want and fitment I need
Ability (or not) of the bushings to retain the alignment settings over time
Potential for an unacceptable level of NVH for a street car

This is the type of feedback I am hoping to get from someone that has used these or other adjustable TS & LCA bushings.

Last edited by PeterWT; 08-07-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

ok gotcha, and what I was trying to say. How easy to adjust and alignment.

I rip some nice mountain roads and wheels/tires are enough and don't need negative camber until I hit the track more, and the PS4S will make larger difference for me for that.

good luck maybe a few others will see and comment...you'll love Powerflex bushings either way
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      08-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

So yeah, I have dinan springs which probably gave me a bit more negative camber than a stock height car. I didn't have issues with the adjustables, just wish I had done fixed instead as I would have had the ideal camber without the added hassle of the adjusters. There is a lot of adjustment range/ability to locate the wheel in the well with these, so adjustability is no problem. You'll have to find a good alignment tech and maybe pay him a bit extra to do it right (I did mine myself and took a while)

Adding my notes on your post:
Ease or difficulty of achieving the alignment settings I want and fitment I need
-Shouldn't be a problem. I got -1.8 or -2.0-ish max negative camber IIRC so you have a lot to play with for your specs

-I have not noticed my alignment move at all, nor did I have any reason to believe the adjusters would slip over time. Poly bushing wear on a street car that isn't tracked should last years, have heard of these getting eaten up on track but...to be expected as a lot gets eaten up on track. No play out of mine yet, at all. Will recheck after winter to see what the cold does to them

-I have a high threshold for NVH but I couldn't really tell if any was actually added with these. The better steering feel far outweighs whatever little NVH they could add, for sure

The factory bushings do obviously need to be pressed out, seems like the confusion started with the word machining, which implies were shaving metal somewhere. No machining involved here. The metal outer press sleeve will also never loosen up, so I assume that talk was about the internal part of the stock bushings becoming so worn they're loose. The powerflex split design allows both haves to be nearly hand pressed in, I used a large set of channellocks on the table to press them together into the arm the rest of the way. A vice would work as well, or even just a hammer. I would definitely do these bushings again over monoballs because good lord are those expensive, and they need to be perfectly weather sealed or else the lifespan will go down the toilet. I do not like the idea of the M arms because of the wheel location and non adjustability, they will definitely push the wheel out and my setup would end up hitting somewhere for sure.

Good luck!
2016 M235i 8AT - MHD Stage 2/XHP Stage 3, AA Gesi downpipe/axle back/charge pipes/IC, QTP 3" wireless cutout, MSL oil thermostat, Nelson billet paddles, Gates X5M fob, Xpel 35% tint, LED conversion + body stuff, VMR V710 235/35 + 265/30, Dinan springs/stops/5mm rear spring spacers, Powerflex bushings, Akebono pads...and far too much of my time
Appreciate 2
PeterWT251.00
      08-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
So yeah, I have dinan springs which probably gave me a bit more negative camber than a stock height car. I didn't have issues with the adjustables, just wish I had done fixed instead as I would have had the ideal camber without the added hassle of the adjusters. There is a lot of adjustment range/ability to locate the wheel in the well with these, so adjustability is no problem. You'll have to find a good alignment tech and maybe pay him a bit extra to do it right (I did mine myself and took a while)

Adding my notes on your post:
-Shouldn't be a problem. I got -1.8 or -2.0-ish max negative camber IIRC so you have a lot to play with for your specs

-I have not noticed my alignment move at all, nor did I have any reason to believe the adjusters would slip over time. Poly bushing wear on a street car that isn't tracked should last years, have heard of these getting eaten up on track but...to be expected as a lot gets eaten up on track. No play out of mine yet, at all. Will recheck after winter to see what the cold does to them

-I have a high threshold for NVH but I couldn't really tell if any was actually added with these. The better steering feel far outweighs whatever little NVH they could add, for sure

The factory bushings do obviously need to be pressed out, seems like the confusion started with the word machining, which implies were shaving metal somewhere. No machining involved here. The metal outer press sleeve will also never loosen up, so I assume that talk was about the internal part of the stock bushings becoming so worn they're loose. The powerflex split design allows both haves to be nearly hand pressed in, I used a large set of channellocks on the table to press them together into the arm the rest of the way. A vice would work as well, or even just a hammer. I would definitely do these bushings again over monoballs because good lord are those expensive, and they need to be perfectly weather sealed or else the lifespan will go down the toilet. I do not like the idea of the M arms because of the wheel location and non adjustability, they will definitely push the wheel out and my setup would end up hitting somewhere for sure.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for and very much appreciated. It confirms my conclusion that this is the right suspension mod for my requirements. The purple ones aren't available anymore, only black. But, I don't think that will make a big difference in NVH.
And yes, I'll need to find a good shop I can work with. I have one in mind. I'm going to talk to them next week.

Now, I'm just waiting for Turner/ECS to get back to me about getting the adjustable versions for the same 15% discount I got when I ordered them originally.

Last edited by PeterWT; 08-09-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

PeterWT you get put in ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PeterWT you get put in ?
No, I never did. Turner/ECS never got back to me on price/availability and my local shop talked me out of using polyurethane.
I still want more camber, but I'm still not sure how I should go about getting it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #14
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
No, I never did. Turner/ECS never got back to me on price/availability and my local shop talked me out of using polyurethane.
I still want more camber, but I'm still not sure how I should go about getting it.
Camber plates ?

Interestingly all 3 BMW shops talked me into Powerflex. (well and folks here, their fault lol) But yea for camber not sure I'd go with bushings. Outside the SSK, best mod so far. So Camber aside, get the fixed poly, nice difference.
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      10-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #15
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

I've had PowerFlex adjustable LCA (camber) black series bushings for a couple of years. I don't track. You get up to -30 min camber. They retain the geometry. Inputs are sharper. Noise isn't a problem. Comfort is affected somewhat with the harder bushing but not so it gets uncomfortable to drive. Easy to adjust. Just need a mechanic who is willing to spend a bit extra time (15-30 min in addition to what it would normally take) to get you exactly what you want. Also, I got new LCA for press those in (Lemforder, half the price of the oem, which is the supplier of the oem LCAs so they are identical to the oem).
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00