THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Drivetrain Malfunction "cyl 3 misfire"

04-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i Alpine White

Angry Drivetrain Malfunction "cyl 3 misfire"

Hello all,

I have a bit of a situation. I saw your comment on another thread saying to message you with any further questions regarding another member's issues with "drivetrain malfunction" code repeatedly coming up on his iDrive system. I have had the same, or worse issue with my car and i cant seem to find a solution. I have a 2015 M235i and around 38,000 miles i had my first instance of misfiring, rough idle, and "drivetrain malfunction" code appearing on my system at a random time. I was driving conservatively maybe doing 40-50mph and after coming to a stop at a light this happened. I checked the coil packs and switched them with another friend's whose car was running fine, and the issue still persisted. I then pulled spark plug from cylinder 3 (as there was a cylinder 3 misfire code) and noticed it was fouled with fuel. I replaced the fuel injector and spark plug in cylinder 3 and the problem went away for about 80-100 miles. Again the misfire came back and i tried two different independent mechanics to have them clear the issue with their "factory computer" and the problem persisted. This was touch and go with clearing the code, driving a few hundred miles and then the issues coming back. Eventually i went to Crevier BMW and they kept my car for 4 days and all they could tell me was to "replace the spark plugs and fuel injector with factory bmw branded parts and see if the problem persists". They also cleared the code using their computer. I drove the car without issue after picking it up from the dealer for another 1000 miles and the misfire returned again this weekend. The car currently has about 41,000 miles. I am really puzzled by all of this and need guidance. If you or anyone you know can shed some light on the situation that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
whiteegyptian95
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep

ignore "saw your comment" part. was in relation to PM i sent to another member. thx
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I'm guessing it's always cylinder 3 misfire? Try the easy stuff first, disconnect the battery for 30min and plug her back in.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What plugs are you running on all cylinders?

What brand was the fuel injector?

Have you inspected the ignition coil and injector wiring harnesses for damage or checked the grounds in the area?

Is your car modified at all? If so, what mods?
      04-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep

The plugs are the Bosch #ZR5TPP33S, I just bought the NGK iridium one step colder plugs and will swap those and try to see if the issue comes back. The car was running MHD stage 1 91octane tune, with VRSF charge pipe. But this issue arose again, the reason why I'm posting now after I took the tune off and was running the stock tune for about a week (250 miles). The fuel injector was replaced using the OEM model. The coil packs were ruled out as the issue by swapping over coil packs from a friend's car, which is running fine, and the misfire remained on cyl 3. I do not see any damage to the ignition wiring harness, and all ground cables seem to be properly attached.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteegyptian95 View Post
The plugs are the Bosch #ZR5TPP33S, I just bought the NGK iridium one step colder plugs and will swap those and try to see if the issue comes back. The car was running MHD stage 1 91octane tune, with VRSF charge pipe. But this issue arose again, the reason why I'm posting now after I took the tune off and was running the stock tune for about a week (250 miles). The fuel injector was replaced using the OEM model. The coil packs were ruled out as the issue by swapping over coil packs from a friend's car, which is running fine, and the misfire remained on cyl 3. I do not see any damage to the ignition wiring harness, and all ground cables seem to be properly attached.
have u tried reflashing or flashing back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:22 AM   #7
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep

I flashed it back to stock last week, before the misfire happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
BespokeM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteegyptian95 View Post
I flashed it back to stock last week, before the misfire happened.
Did you ever find a solution?

I have a cylinder 3 misfire as well. I changed the plugs about 3K kms ago with one step colder NGK plugs (piggy back tune on car) and the car ran fine for 2,500 kms. I swapped coils from cylinder 1 and 5 with cylinder 3. No change. Car stutters whenever I try to accelerate with anything more than a tiny bit of throttle and throws drivetrain malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 06:58 AM   #9
Art3
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e38

to check coils,plugs,injectors, even to send ecu for refresh. ive done all of it for my doughters car. after all bmw dealer took it for diagnostic. I still cant beleave what the real problem was... Injector loom. they said it is common problem for those engines causing misfire
Appreciate 0