THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Delete this thread and my profile

05-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
delete my profile
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: no

Question Delete this thread and my profile

Delete this thread and my profile

Last edited by delete my profile; 05-30-2020 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum. I just picked up my first BMW a 2016 BMW 228i RWD 8AT a little over two months ago and now has 37.1k miles. I didn't know there were two different engines until after purchasing unfortunately I ended up with the N26 and realized the possibility of modding is a lot more limited than the N20. I'm not planning on racing or tracking my car or doing anything too crazy this time around. I live in California and most aftermarket parts are illegal and I'm no longer able to work on my own car anymore and I leased a car for 4 years so not sure about hot smogs anymore and would rather not have to deal with them in the future.

I currently only changed the iDrive head display to a 10.25" Android display and while still trying to fix poor MPG put in a K&N drop in filter and PEA Fuel Injector cleaner through the gas tank. I just ordered the Bootmod3 Stage 1 OTS and I'm hopping not to go past stage 1 this time. Also wondering about the risks of the TCU tune increasing the torque limits on third and sixth gear. I've had many other modified cars in the past, but this being my first BMW and trying to look stock, I had some questions.

1. Do I need to run colder spark plugs on a Stage 1 BM3 tune with just a drop in filter?

2. How necessary is it to upgrade the charge pipe with a Stage 1 BM3 tune?
I haven't found much information on how much the stock boost PSI is and how much BM3 raises it too.

3. How noticeable the VRSF charge pipe is installed, I can't find any pictures and I'm wondering how obvious is the bung when installed that would cause a visual test to fail in California?

4. How much risk is their raising the torque limiters on third and sixth gear with BM3?

1- datalog and send it to PTF, they'll let you know how your plugs are doing

2- I recommend upgrading the charge pipe with any stage

3- Not familiar with CA laws, but the charge pipe can easily be seen

4- You do not have anything to worry about as long as you are running the recommended maps for your mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

I could counter and say maybe it's the manufacturers who suck. Why they couldn't get some of these products CARB approved is beyond me especially when they are dealing in the biggest marketplace in the US. However, it is a little frustrating when you read about the bolt-ons and tunes other members are adding and we are stuck with piggyback solutions we can unplug when getting a smog check.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

On the bright side, it saves you the money on a mod that isn't really either necessary or beneficial. In the unlikely event that you bust a pipe, the new replacements will probably last another 40k, and until you start really pushing the tune and adding parts, they won't make any more power.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

If only that was true.....I've had illegal intakes, headers, exhaust, HFC upgraded turbos, diverter valves, tunes, motor swaps, tints, ride heights, cams, cam gears even aftermarket HIDs aren't or at least weren't legal.......I ran open headers for awhile and other mods that may or may not of been legal like larger fuel injectors from another vehicle and res deletes. I did a steering wheel swap for a racing steering wheel, which supposedly was illegal since the original had airbags?

I just want the illusion of looking and sounding stock performance wise for once.
I DK what you are trying to say - I was just commenting that charge pipe replacement is not an essential performance improvement in any way, probably even worse return than intake mods. It might give you more reliability from blowing up stock pipes, but that isn't exactly running rampant through the model - you hear about it, but mostly in highly modded cars and not really high-frequency. And a plug in tune that can be removed in minutes will net you a ton more power and performance.

Every state (or most of them?) has laws that limit mods, and thus every state has probably had modders harassed by police writing tickets for them or inspectors failing to pass registrations. When I was starting out, that was a tactic to take cars off the street, via massive fines worth more than the cost of the car (it used to be a form of bench racing to calculate your current 'ticket-level' - mine was over a grand on my 240z).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I know it's all chance, but there don't seem to be too many N20/N26 charge pipes that have blown at all, seems to be more of an N55 issue. I've been on the stock pipe with no issue - Stage 1, some people blow them stock with no tune, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
staticcornflake
Private
Rep

Why don't you buy a used OEM pipe on the cheap or an aftermarket one and keep it in your trunk with some duct tape or an extra clamp? If it blows you tape it up/clamp it and limp to a shop or dealer, have them install. Gotta pay to play, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
staticcornflake
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticcornflake View Post
Why don't you buy a used OEM pipe on the cheap or an aftermarket one and keep it in your trunk with some duct tape or an extra clamp? If it blows you tape it up/clamp it and limp to a shop or dealer, have them install. Gotta pay to play, right?
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the VRSF charge pipe, but was trying to find out how noticeable it would be visually with the meth bung and the rubber or silicone coupler and clamps in the middle. I even considered trying to find some exhaust tape and or coupler and clamp to reinforce the connecting end.
I've never had to go in for smog yet but I would be very surprised if anyone noticed the charge pipe, or cared if they did. Other than the CARB politics, logic states that it can't have an effect on emissions since it just replaces a plastic part with aluminum (pre-combustion). It won't throw codes, it doesn't affect readiness monitors, it won't affect a sniff test, I think it's pretty low risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I got the black ER one and it looks the same, just not cheap plastic..shocked if they knew it was after market.

Cops can pull you over and look at mods ? WTH is that ? I would laugh at them and go to jail. Is that just a CA thing ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Wow thats crazy. And I believe all sites have that "legal" misnomer on it for California, they have to for obvious no mod reasons I guess.

The ER I got has no visible writing and before/after pics look really close. Man I couldn't live with that.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
delete my profile
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: no

Delete this thread and my profile
Appreciate 0