THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bluetooth Google Maps issue

10-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
mkizer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Bluetooth Google Maps issue

I recently purchased a 2016 228i and have some issues with Bluetooth and Google Maps. This is on a Google Pixel 2XL running Android 10, connecting to the car just via Bluetooth.

Google Maps will not play audio navigation cues over Bluetooth, except if certain other audio sources are already streaming.

If I am playing music over Bluetooth using Google Play Music, Google Maps works fine.

If I play Audible over Bluetooth, Google Maps interrupts the playback, but nothing is heard.

Anyone else experience something similar, or is this a known limitation of BMW's Bluetooth implementation? I haven't seen this kind of problem before a a few different cars or dedicated Bluetooth devices.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
tiwahu34.50
      10-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
doseL
Rep
Drives: M240i

Is the option "Play voice over Bluetooth" enabled under Google Maps - Settings - Navigation Settings?

Or maybe change "Default Media App" to Audible and see if it works?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
mkizer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doseL View Post
Is the option "Play voice over Bluetooth" enabled under Google Maps - Settings - Navigation Settings?

Or maybe change "Default Media App" to Audible and see if it works?
Yes, Google Maps is setup to play over Bluetooth and works fine in other cars. It does work in the 2, but only while music is already streaming.

It must be something odd about the Bluetooth implementation in the 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
mkizer
United_States
Rep

More research today:

Any app that is streaming music (Spotify, Play Music, YoutTube Music, etc.) will allow Google Maps audio to come through Bluetooth.

In addition to Audible, I also tried Google Play Books. Neither one of these allow Google Maps audio to play through Bluetooth. Both do get interrupted though (no audio plays though).

Interesting. I wonder how the audio out from audio book apps is different from music apps? It works the same whether I am in the apps themselves or running them from the Android Auto app.

I also dug out an old Bluetooth auto adapter that plugs into the Aux port. I used this with no issue in my previous car, and sure enough, everything works fine (no problem with Google Maps audio whether an app is playing or not).

So, it would definitely appear that there is an issue with the way BMW is handling Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
tiwahu
Gamertag: Boardwalk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkizer View Post
I wonder how the audio out from audio book apps is different from music apps? It works the same whether I am in the apps themselves or running them from the Android Auto app.

I also dug out an old Bluetooth auto adapter that plugs into the Aux port. I used this with no issue in my previous car, and sure enough, everything works fine (no problem with Google Maps audio whether an app is playing or not).

So, it would definitely appear that there is an issue with the way BMW is handling Bluetooth.
I have the exact same issue. Super annoying. I noticed it depends how the audio app handles interruptions. Music apps tend to just lower volume of music for the duration of the directions, but audiobooks and podcasts pause for the directions. In the Smart Audiobook app on my phone, I was able to change a setting to not pause for directions, which doesn't mask the direction volume anymore, but isn't a very useful experience. Doesn't solve the podcast issue either.

I thought of trying a different Bluetooth adapter, but hadn't dug it out yet. Really interesting that *that* works. Maybe it is the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:19 AM   #6
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

I've had this very problem too. I think it is related to how BMW (and in particular this generation idrive version) handles bluetooth profiles with Android as I've never had the same issue in other vehicles with bluetooth connectivity (including some of the newer model BMW's i've driven as loaners). Since i've had my M235 from new at the end of 2015 i've had a Nexus 6p, then Pixel 2xl and now the Pixel 4xl. There always seems to be an issue with bluetooth audio. At first there were a lot of connection issues or the audio would indicate playing, but no sound could be heard. I'd often have to disable and restart bluetooth on the phone to get it to connect.

Anyway, the issue you describe above, I've encountered that since probably Android 9. Essentially, some audio has to be playing for me to receive any type of audible phone alert (emails, messages, etc) including navigation instructions (whether it be google maps or something else like Waze or Here Maps). you can easily reproduce this issue as there is an option within google maps to test/preview what it will sound like over bluetooth. if you try to play it while no other sound/music is playing, you will not hear anything. but if you then have something playing and try to test the sound again, it will be audible. I've accepted this finicky behavior and gave up trying to solve the issue, which is likely a combination of android and BMW issues, and just have NPR or some podcast playing all the time when i drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
mkizer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexingv View Post
I've accepted this finicky behavior and gave up trying to solve the issue, which is likely a combination of android and BMW issues, and just have NPR or some podcast playing all the time when i drive.
Yeah, that's about where I'm at too. I could use an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter if I really need it to work correctly, but like you I'll usually have something playing so it will kind of work.

If I was really motivated I could create a routine (using Tasker or something similar) that would automatically start playing a particular sound file (perhaps a silent mp3 file) when connecting to the BMW's Bluetooth. Hmm... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
mkizer
United_States
Rep

I picked up a small Bluetooth adapter (https://amzn.to/33xU8U5) for $15 that solves most of the problems. Everything works as expected (maps, music, audio books, Google Assistant, etc.). The only issue currently is phone calls. Since this adapter doesn't have a microphone, any calls will just be through the phone (mine automatically switches to speaker phone for this). It's not ideal and I don't actually get very many calls, but it could be better.

I may try pairing my phone to iDrive just for phone calls, and to the Bluetooth adapter for everything else. We'll see if I can get that going (I tried it briefly, but didn't have enough time to fully test it successfully).
Appreciate 1
tiwahu34.50
      11-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
mkizer
United_States
Rep

Final solution:
I think I finally have a good workable solution. I swapped out the Bluetooth adapter for the Himbox that I had in my old car (https://amzn.to/370k2SQ). Then I changed the Bluetooth settings in my phone so that it only does Media Audio/HD Audio.

I changed the Bluetooth setting for the BMW on my phone to only do Phone calls/Contact sharing/Text messages. Then I changed iDrive in the car to only do phone calls for my paired phone. I also bumped up the input volume on the Aux jack all the way.

Now, with my phone in a holder on my dash I can run Android Auto, issue Google Assistant commands, use Google Maps navigation, play media, etc. with no issues. Phone calls still use the car's microphone, but can be initiated from the phone or via Assistant ("Hey Google, call so-and-so"). Everything works great.

The Himbox has a microphone built in to it, which does offer better quality than the car's mic, but I'd rather keep the whole unit tucked away in the center console. You could run the cable up to the dash and probably hide it pretty well if you wanted to though.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Same Issue

I'm running into the same issue and it is extremely frustrating. I have a Pixel 3a and Google Maps won't start pushing audio until I turn on another audio source. The maps in the car won't update, so it doesn't even know where my house is even though I have map updates until the end of 2021. Paid too much to have to use a dongle to get it to work properly. I wish they had Android Auto for those of us who aren't Sheeple
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
mkizer
United_States
Rep

I'm really interested in the Bimmer Tech Android Auto MMI Prime, but I want to see some real world reviews and walk-throughs before shelling out that much money (and time to install). If it works as advertised, it might be a good option.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...-auto-mmi-plus
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #12
CCoates23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92

I'm using a Big Ear bluetooth headset and sometimes the command doesn't work either for me.

Last edited by CCoates23; 01-08-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0