THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Harmon Kardon Tweeter Retrofit (Help?)

05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Harmon Kardon Tweeter Retrofit (Help?)

Hey,

So I bought a used 16' M235 that didn't come with the Harmon Kardon speakers from factory. I was wondering if I could purchase the HK Tweeters and retrofit them into the car - is it plug and play? I have heard that I may or may not need new mid range speakers but not sure on this.

I was looking at getting a set on eBay for ~$130.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 228i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDS 2 View Post
Hey,

So I bought a used 16' M235 that didn't come with the Harmon Kardon speakers from factory. I was wondering if I could purchase the HK Tweeters and retrofit them into the car - is it plug and play? I have heard that I may or may not need new mid range speakers but not sure on this.

Cheers
I don't think it's possible as the wire is missing (correct me if I'm wrong). But you can upgrade the regular speakers to perform better than HK. Just search the forum
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobelium27 View Post
I don't think it's possible as the wire is missing (correct me if I'm wrong). But you can upgrade the regular speakers to perform better than HK. Just search the forum
Hey, thanks for your reply! I was only looking to do this as a aesthetic upgrade with a small side benefit of improved sound. However, is the missing wire for the mid range speakers? If thats the case, can I just also replace the mid range speakers to the HK ones?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 228i m-sport

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your reply! I was only looking to do this as a aesthetic upgrade with a small side benefit of improved sound. However, is the missing wire for the mid range speakers? If thats the case, can I just also replace the mid range speakers to the HK ones?
the wires for the tweeters aren't there. You can upgrade the mid range speakers, but I'd go with aftermarket ones rather than HK ones. Check this out: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238
Appreciate 1
KjPerry17.50
      05-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
knyghtryda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i M Performance Ed.

Quote:
Used HK sails for the tweeters can be bought for less than $100, or sail blanks (no HK badge) are about $60. Get those, and get a set of Eton or Focal (or even a set of used BMW) 4 ohm component speakers. It's plug and play after that, as the included tweeters come with their own wiring. FWIW my hodgepodged setup is a pair of Eton components for the doors, a set of components out of a 7 series for the center (black fiberglass cone), and a set of coaxials from a E92 with the Individual audio package (yellow fiberglass cones) for the rears. Those last ones are rare, but they look and sound pretty damn good and are about half the price of any aftermarket coaxial speaker. All speakers are 4 ohm, and all plugs are standard BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hey,

Cheers
Yeah, I've done this exact thing to my car.

Appreciate 0