THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Ordered wrong stereo - solutions?

10-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
Nomadic
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i Convertible

Ordered wrong stereo - solutions?

Just took delivery a 2020 M240i Convertible. During the ordering process, was primarily focused on color/wheels etc.

Had previously owned multiple other BMWs (128, 323) - all with the stock stereo which I never had any complaints about. Saw there was an option for the HK stereo for $875 and did a quick scan of this forum and saw how poorly reviewed it was so didn't option it.

After the driving the car for a week, I'm shocked at how bad the base stereo is. My wife drove it for the first time yesterday and upon returning the first words out of her mouth were "needs a better stereo!".

Of course I realize now I should have spent more time researching, but it never occurred to me that the standard stereo on a $50k 2020 BMW 240i would sound worse than the standard one on a $35k 2009 BMW 128i. In scouring the forums this week, my guess is I probably would have been content with the HK system, but of course it is too late to change that.

Today I took the car to a local car audio place and they suggested the BimmerTech system, either just replacing the front woofers, midranges and adding tweeters using the HK window sail pieces, or replacing the front speakers and replacing the amp. I was leaning towards doing both until I saw that an aftermarket amp can cause problems when the car goes into service for ECU flashing (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...ght=bimmertech).

I'm looking for a solution that deviates from stock as little as possible to avoid any potential service issues down the road.

Would just replacing the speakers be enough of an improvement to make it worth the $$ and hassle? I'm assuming since the speakers are standard analog, they can't impact any type of BMW ECU reflash attempts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Unfortunately if you want to go an OEM route there aren't many options. I recently fitted the Bang & Olufsen sound system from a F13 M6 (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1654382) into my car and the reason i did this is because i wanted a fully OEM but still good sound system.

What you can look at is the F30 Harmon Kardon sound system (it is different to the Harmon Kardon on the 2 series) and is very nice as well. Although this might be beyond the scope of a normal car audio shop as it requires in depth knowledge one BMW systems specifically and some custom wiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
Would just replacing the speakers be enough of an improvement to make it worth the $$ and hassle?
Yes.

Seth

P.S. You would only need to replace the front two 4" speakers in the doors, and disconnect the center speaker on dash.

(If you take it to an audio shop, you would be even better served by deadening the door while the door card is off, and going to a 'separates' or 'component' setup with a tweeter in the sail panel, crossover hidden in door, and mid in factory location. )

All running off factory amp and factory subs. No tuning.

This is the absolute least invasive way to fix the audio.

If you don't like this setup you can replace the amp, and if you don't like that you can replace the sub (you can do rear speakers any time but you may not notice). But you will probably be happy with just a change in front audio.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I am experiencing the issue where my car is in for service and they need to switch the amp back (and I don't have the amp). I've got a note into Elias at Technic PNP to see if there's any way to leave stock and upgraded amp installed with a toggle of some sort to revert to OEM for service. Will update if he comes back with anything promising.

That aside, you can upgrade your speakers, disable ASD, switch to lossless source, use Elias add an amp harness to install an in-trunk subwoofer... and none of that will impact serviceability of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Nomadic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Yes.

Seth

P.S. You would only need to replace the front two 4" speakers in the doors, and disconnect the center speaker on dash.

(If you take it to an audio shop, you would be even better served by deadening the door while the door card is off, and going to a 'separates' or 'component' setup with a tweeter in the sail panel, crossover hidden in door, and mid in factory location. )

All running off factory amp and factory subs. No tuning.

This is the absolute least invasive way to fix the audio.

If you don't like this setup you can replace the amp, and if you don't like that you can replace the sub (you can do rear speakers any time but you may not notice). But you will probably be happy with just a change in front audio.
Thanks. The quote I received was to put the replace the 4" speakers on the door with the Alpha One Midrange, add the Alpha One Tweeters via the HK Factory Sail Panels (replacing blank ones) and replacing the woofers with the Alpha One Woofers.

If I skip the woofers, then is the separated Alpha One Midrange and Tweeters with the HiFi system going to work ok, or should I be looking for a 4" speaker that already includes a tweeter embedded and not replace the sail panels?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just heard back from Technic PNP, he can make a harness so that you have OEM and aftermarket amps installed at the same time. OEM only gets power, ground, CAN bus. The result is you can use Bimmertech (or other) amp for sound and the stock amp stays in place for system updates only. This is what I plan to do in both of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Nomadic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I am experiencing the issue where my car is in for service and they need to switch the amp back (and I don't have the amp). I've got a note into Elias at Technic PNP to see if there's any way to leave stock and upgraded amp installed with a toggle of some sort to revert to OEM for service. Will update if he comes back with anything promising.

That aside, you can upgrade your speakers, disable ASD, switch to lossless source, use Elias add an amp harness to install an in-trunk subwoofer... and none of that will impact serviceability of the vehicle.
Did you have the HK or HiFi system? I thought the HiFi system ran off the head unit so didn't have an external amp. Is that incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

Did you have the HK or HiFi system? I thought the HiFi system ran off the head unit so didn't have an external amp. Is that incorrect?
I have HK. Not entirely sure about Hifi but I think other folks here have swapped that too.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
all systems have an amp in the trunk.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The quote I received was to put the replace the 4" speakers on the door with the Alpha One Midrange, add the Alpha One Tweeters via the HK Factory Sail Panels (replacing blank ones) and replacing the woofers with the Alpha One Woofers.

If I skip the woofers, then is the separated Alpha One Midrange and Tweeters with the HiFi system going to work ok, or should I be looking for a 4" speaker that already includes a tweeter embedded and not replace the sail panels?

Thanks again.
Not sure if you are talking about subwoofers under the seat or mid-woofers in the doors.
But the start should be to 100% replace everything in the doors.

In your case the mid/tweet setup with a crossover mounted in door is great.
To go to the rear deck too is also a nice touch, but not critical.

Subwoofers are not really necessary unless you would be changing the amp as well since power is the real limitation there. I would replace the amp powering the factory subs before chaning the subs themselves. But this may be overkill for you, you may be very happy with just changing what's in the doors and deck.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Nomadic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Not sure if you are talking about subwoofers under the seat or mid-woofers in the doors.
But the start should be to 100% replace everything in the doors.

In your case the mid/tweet setup with a crossover mounted in door is great.
To go to the rear deck too is also a nice touch, but not critical.

Subwoofers are not really necessary unless you would be changing the amp as well since power is the real limitation there. I would replace the amp powering the factory subs before chaning the subs themselves. But this may be overkill for you, you may be very happy with just changing what's in the doors and deck.

Seth
Thanks Seth. The initial quote I had was to replace the subwoofers under the seat as well the front door speakers and adding the tweeters. All with the Alpha One speakers.

I have the convertible, so the only rear speakers appear to be in the back side panels, not planning on doing anything with those.

Thanks again for the explanation/feedback. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

no problem - I hope you like it - I have my parts ready for install myself just trying to find an audio shop who is familiar with BMW to do it.
Some shops apparently won't work on the car unless you get the parts from them direct.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Nomadic
Rep

Update - had the following new speakers installed. Alpha One tweeters (using the HK sail pods), Alpha One midrange (in front door), Alpha One woofers (under the seat).

Based on issues other people have had with aftermarket amps, I kept the stock HiFi amp.

Net result is an incredible improvement in sound quality. Have gone from hating the sound system to enjoying listening to it.

If anyone else is in the same situation (HiFi system), I'd highly recommend replacing the speakers. It's a very big upgrade worth the price.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the information and advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Unfortunately if you want to go an OEM route there aren't many options. I recently fitted the Bang & Olufsen sound system from a F13 M6 (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1654382) into my car and the reason i did this is because i wanted a fully OEM but still good sound system.

What you can look at is the F30 Harmon Kardon sound system (it is different to the Harmon Kardon on the 2 series) and is very nice as well. Although this might be beyond the scope of a normal car audio shop as it requires in depth knowledge one BMW systems specifically and some custom wiring.
Using that system is the same as going non-OEM. That amp is not supposed to be in your car so it will cause the same issues as any aftermarket retrofit where ISTA is not finding the components it expects.
Appreciate 0