THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Head unit Idrive failure Bimmercode

11-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Head unit Idrive failure Bimmercode

I have been coding with bimmercode for a while now with no issues.
I tried to code my 2019 x3 and my 2018 230i start up animation. On the x3 it failed and in the 230i worked. The next day the head unit is dead on both cars.
Now in bimmercode there is a red dot next to Head Unit and the restore fails.

Anyone else have this issue or know a way to fix it. Please help
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
I have been coding with bimmercode for a while now with no issues.
I tried to code my 2019 x3 and my 2018 230i start up animation. On the x3 it failed and in the 230i worked. The next day the head unit is dead on both cars.
Now in bimmercode there is a red dot next to Head Unit and the restore fails.

Anyone else have this issue or know a way to fix it. Please help
Check your Fuse Box. same thing happened to me
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonz F22 View Post
Check your Fuse Box. same thing happened to me
Here is the video i made on this.. It'll show you exactly which fuse to check for the head unit (which will most likely vary per car).

Goodluck. Let me know how it goes

Last edited by JG_Media9; 11-21-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is the video i made on this.. It'll show you exactly which fuse to check for the head unit.

I'm the guy that commented on your video the other day.
I checked all the fuses in the trunk. Didn't have time to check the front yet.

Nice videos!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is the video i made on this.. It'll show you exactly which fuse to check for the head unit.

Did it fail on its own or were you coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did it fail on its own or were you coding?
Oh ok cool lol for me it wasn't the coding.. I've spoken with the developer of Bimmercode multiple times and coding wouldn't do something like that.. Often people are concerned with bricking their ECU but Bimmercode won't do that since you could always revert to a back up.. Bimmercode really has just made coding so much more simplified.

I was doing some head-unit coding but i think my fuse blew because in order for me to code the head-unit i have to put the OEM head-unit back in because with my after market screen the multimedia interface creates some connectivity issues with the connection to the Bimmercode so when i was working on the electronics to put the OEM screen back in i had forgot to disconnect the negative battery so the fuse blew and the screen was just black and unresponsive for a few days.

Replaced the fuse as indicated in the video and all was working again.

So was just completely on me being that i am quite aware of "always disconnect the negative battery terminal when dealing with any electronics.." But hey sh*t happens yaa know
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 x3  [0.00]
Update:

I purchased a new OBD adapter The Vgate which was previously recommended by bimmercode its not anymore. Hence it timed out during coding and bricked both head units.
With the new adapter I was able to restore. Everything worked minus the navigation.
My wife took the X3 in for service and there was a recall on the back up camera anyway. All fixed under warranty.
They told her that there has been issues with the navigation systems lately.

A stressful week for me. If I only know Bimmercode was not compatible with the Vgate adapter they previously recommended.

As for my 230i I'll take it in when I need service. I can care less about bmw's navigation.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update:

I purchased a new OBD adapter The Vgate which was previously recommended by bimmercode its not anymore. Hence it timed out during coding and bricked both head units.
With the new adapter I was able to restore. Everything worked minus the navigation.
My wife took the X3 in for service and there was a recall on the back up camera anyway. All fixed under warranty.
They told her that there has been issues with the navigation systems lately.

A stressful week for me. If I only know Bimmercode was not compatible with the Vgate adapter they previously recommended.

As for my 230i I'll take it in when I need service. I can care less about bmw's navigation.
If you were able to restore from simply using another adaptor then your ecu wasn't bricked. Please do not spread misinformation causing people to think Bimmercode can cause an ecu brick when it will not because of simply using back ups.

But yeah i recommend, everyone always go check the website to find the right adaptor per their specific cell phone. They haven't supported Vgates in a while now actually due to connectivity issues with the newer phones. Vgates will still actually work with older phone models but obviously it is suggested to use the newer Veepeak's.

Glad you were able to take care of everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
If you were able to restore from simply using another adaptor then your ecu wasn't bricked. Please do not spread misinformation causing people to think Bimmercode can cause an ecu brick when it will not because of simply using back ups.

But yeah i recommend, everyone always go check the website to find the right adaptor per their specific cell phone. They haven't supported Vgates in a while now actually due to connectivity issues with the newer phones. Vgates will still actually work with older phone models but obviously it is suggested to use the newer Veepeak's.

Glad you were able to take care of everything.
I never blamed Bimmercode. All I knew that my head units in both cars went black and not responsive. When trying to restore with the Vgate it simply wouldn't allow me.
It is strange with the new OBD Link there are more options in terms of coding for the X3 than they were with the Vgate

Also been using the same phone Pixle3
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
I never blamed Bimmercode. All I knew that my head units in both cars went black and not responsive. When trying to restore with the Vgate it simply wouldn't allow me.
It is strange with the new OBD Link there are more options in terms of coding for the X3 than they were with the Vgate

Also been using the same phone Pixle3
well definitely is weird but glad you were able to get everything back to functional
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
I’ve always used a Vgate and have had no problems. Just made a change recently to turn off the rear fog light and all was well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f20two View Post
I’ve always used a Vgate and have had no problems. Just made a change recently to turn off the rear fog light and all was well.
Yeah same actually.. i code with an old iphone 6s so it works just fine. there is just some connectivity issues with the vgates and the newer model phones so they just don't recommend it anymore but likewise i have had no issues with using my older 6s..