THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Need Help: Fuel Door Bumper

11-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
elmike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i xDrive

Need Help: Fuel Door Bumper

2Addicts,

I need help. I injured my 228 today and I am having a hard time finding some resources to help me ID the part I need to replace and maybe a DIY on how to remove and replace. I can't imagine I'm the only person but you guys are the 2-series experts!

The little rubber bumper was broken as I drove away while the gas pump nozzle was still connected. Everything else is fine but the rubber bumper is broken in two pieces towards the tip of the rubber bumper. At first I thought it was going to be this part (Fuel Pocket Bumper - BMW (51-17-7-257-780)) but since the stick that is inside the bumper seems to originate from inside the car I am clueless as to what part I might need to replace. The diagram images of the part only show the rubber part and no "stick" on the back end of the rubber to it which is the actual part I broke. Please help this guy restore my bimmer to 100% health.

Any help or pointer would be most appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I believe the "stick" attaches to the drive = #6:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...73#67117270792

See https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...l+filler+drive
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmike View Post
2Addicts,

I need help. I injured my 228 today and I am having a hard time finding some resources to help me ID the part I need to replace and maybe a DIY on how to remove and replace. I can't imagine I'm the only person but you guys are the 2-series experts!

The little rubber bumper was broken as I drove away while the gas pump nozzle was still connected. Everything else is fine but the rubber bumper is broken in two pieces towards the tip of the rubber bumper. At first I thought it was going to be this part (Fuel Pocket Bumper - BMW (51-17-7-257-780)) but since the stick that is inside the bumper seems to originate from inside the car I am clueless as to what part I might need to replace. The diagram images of the part only show the rubber part and no "stick" on the back end of the rubber to it which is the actual part I broke. Please help this guy restore my bimmer to 100% health.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/51177257780/

This seems to be the stick that you're supposed to just be able to click in, with rubber. Works like a pen. Click, in, click out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmike View Post
2Addicts,

simple fix. pops right out and new one goes right in. i called the dealer for a quote on this a while back for my e90 and they quoted me at $150.. reminder just a quote not including time and service. i laughed and hung up.

just make sure to find the right one that fits for your car. simple search of "fuel door latch" will suffice. the above ejector from TINY BMW seems to be what you're looking for

Last edited by JG_Media9; 01-15-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

I just broke mine last week. Part was about $10-12 from dealer. Pulled old one out with pliers and popped the new one in. Took about 30 seconds. Probably the cheapest part I'll ever buy for this car. Haha.
Appreciate 0