THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics best vent mount for smartphone

11-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I have a Kenu Airframe+ as well, which is a great solution for travel (i.e., rental cars) and if you use several different cars frequently because it's small, well designed, uses high-quality materials, and has almost universal fitment.

However, it will wear out fairly quickly, it's not very secure, and the weight of whatever is mounted in it can limit viewability options. It's good for what it is, but imperfect for long-term use in a single car.
I have the original airframe for about 3 years, and it still works fine (no signs of wearing out). No problem with viewability too.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #24
itzzoscar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive GSM

I use the Breffo Spiderpodium. It fits in the vent fine and I have it setup pretty much as a cradle for the phone. Just slide the phone from the drop and it holds it in place. Had to put it on passenger side vent since my 7 Plus blocked the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #25
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I have the original airframe for about 3 years, and it still works fine (no signs of wearing out). No problem with viewability too.
Is this the original airframe? Do you move it between vehicles and is it still holding up? I looked at the one and two star reviews and many say the rubber feet wear or break off.... and in some, it's scratching the vents.

Thanks!
      07-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Is this the original airframe? Do you move it between vehicles and is it still holding up? I looked at the one and two star reviews and many say the rubber feet wear or break off.... and in some, it's scratching the vents.

Thanks!
I've moved it between vehicles about a dozen or two times and the feet hold up. The simple solution is to order one for each car
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      07-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
idc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2015 i3 Rex

I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy, since it is a mag mount with wireless charging. Routed USB power behind the dash from the cig light adapter via a 5V regulator, easy project, barely visible wire. Now I get in the car, slap the phone on the mount and starts charging. On top of that I installed a macro runner, so it starts Waze automatically when I unlock the phone. Hardly use the built in navi anymore. The minor annoyance is that I have to push the mount on the vent occasionally, but otherwise very happy with the solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #28
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idc View Post
I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy, since it is a mag mount with wireless charging. Routed USB power behind the dash from the cig light adapter via a 5V regulator, easy project, barely visible wire. Now I get in the car, slap the phone on the mount and starts charging. On top of that I installed a macro runner, so it starts Waze automatically when I unlock the phone. Hardly use the built in navi anymore. The minor annoyance is that I have to push the mount on the vent occasionally, but otherwise very happy with the solution.
Can you elaborate a bit more on how you routed the USB power? I am getting my Pitaka QI magmount soon and would like to do the same thing you did. Pics/instructions would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #29
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

I have had great luck with this Scosche one. Every other one I tried either fell off the vent or the magnet wasn't strong enough.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-MAGVM...che+vent+mount

I've used it in a lot of different vehicles and it has yet to let me down.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #30
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
This isn't over the vents but instead down to the side of the radio & climate controls, the Kuda base. Combine with a Proclip phone holder or the magnetic mount of your choice. The whole thing is wrapped in actual leather (very similar to the seats), and behind it is just plastic or fiberglass that you can screw self-tapping screws into (to secure a phone holder).

However, I found out the hard way, this does not correctly fit an LCI/2018+ car.
The contours are all "correct" and it would probably snap into the climate area just fine, but it is supposed to be secured by a single screw down by the glove box... except the glove box area was completely redesigned on the LCI so instead you have this random tab down there that isn't actually making it into the side of the glove box like it would on a pre-2018 car.

See image attached/below from their site, this is how it should sit in a pre-LCI, but the LCI is designed differently so it isn't right... (I haven't tried to fully clip mine in place but I can tell it won't work which is why I haven't bothered).
Attached Images

I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0