THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS X-Drive in Automatic

04-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

M240i VS X-Drive in Automatic

Hello guys:

Just curious. I know many of you feel that RWD with manual is the way to go with this car, but if one was to purchase the car in automatic, would you still recommend RWD or AWD? Is RWD still more sporty and exciting in an automatic than AWD?

I’m planning on getting a convertible (which I know doesn’t handle as well as the hardtop coupe), so just wanted to hear your thoughts and insight!

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1010 View Post
Hello guys:

Just curious. I know many of you feel that RWD with manual is the way to go with this car, but if one was to purchase the car in automatic, would you still recommend RWD or AWD? Is RWD still more sporty and exciting in an automatic than AWD?

I’m planning on getting a convertible (which I know doesn’t handle as well as the hardtop coupe), so just wanted to hear your thoughts and insight!

Thanks much!
There have been threads on the pro/con of AWD vs RWD. My opinion is that RWD is always the default unless you need the incremental capability of AWD to combine with winter tires for snow/ice, assuming winter tires alone won't be sufficient. Winter tires are always the first defense for winter...AWD is second choice if needed. Adding the extra weight, cost, steering feel deterioration, and maintainance needs to have a significant justification for the extra burden. An automatic convertible already has enough of a performance feel burden and you won't need AWD to prevent wheel spin with that car unless you are a WOT driver from every traffic light.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thanks for the insight! So basically, RWD is still funner and has better performance than an AWD even in an automatic M240 convertible?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
MasterFloody
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

I have an auto AWD. For background, this is the first auto I've owned in about 18 years. To be honest, I am satisfied with the ZF trans. I actually drive around 99% of the time in manual mode. The shift times are impressive. Don't get me wrong, I do miss the clutch, however, there is NO WAY I could out shift the auto.

Got the car in December. Really starting to get used to it, pushing it to the limits slowly.
Very impressed with how it handles, and really loving how fast the torque hits. The AWD really grabs the corners and keeps you stable. I have the Pirelli runflats and can only imagine how much better it can get with decent rubber.

AWD with the ZF should be quicker than the rest, especially using the launch control feature, but in reality, it's really up to you as the driver.
If you get the AWD, you can purchase the Xdelete app, thus making it a RWD when ever you want. I will note that without doing that, the power distribution in the AWD is enough in the rear where you can in fact get a little sideways. If you hold the traction control button down for 5-6 seconds, it will revert to comfort settings, but will disable the assists, which is what will help you slide. If you do it in any other mode, she will automatically correct you and you will stop the slide and move forward.

I will note that if you get the RWD, get the LSD. It will make a world of difference.
If you get the AWD, I would stilll recommend the LSD, especially if you use the Xdelete.
I got mine used with super low miles with a great price with ALMOST all the bells and whistles, but I wish I knew what I know now. I would have actively looked for one with the LSD.

Sorry if I was rambling there. Waiting on the coffee to kick in.
KennyFSU1102.50
cooolone2610.50
      04-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFloody View Post
I wish I knew what I know now. I would have actively looked for [an AWD] with the LSD.
Wouldn't those be extremely difficult to find? Just a wild guess, I know, but I wonder if there are more than a few of them out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
MasterFloody
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Wouldn't those be extremely difficult to find? Just a wild guess, I know, but I wonder if there are more than a few of them out there.
Correction: would have looked for the RWD with one, or saved some extra money to work a deal to add the LSD onto the AWD if I couldn't find one.
dradernh4179.00
      04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
My four previous cars have been xDrive or AWD but for various reasons, in the UK we don't get the option of xDrive on the M235i/M240i.

So when I replaced my 330d xDrive Touring in 2016 with my current M235i Convertible I had no choice but to go RWD and Auto.

The auto argument was won for me with the ZF8 in my previous car: I concluded that in a manual, I'd be happy 20% of the time but unhappy 80% of the time vs with the ZF8 I'd be happy 95% of the time but unhappy 5% of the time. So the ZF8 won (for me). Perhaps you should test drive both options and see how this happy/unhappy ratio would work out for you? I know some people on this Forum would score it very differently.

With the M235i Convertible, I had reservations about to going back to RWD especially as the car goes down to the Alps in the winter for multiple ski trips. So far, in 4 seasons, I've not got stuck or even needed chains. Although I did come close to needing chains this January. What helped with this was getting a proper set of full winter tyres (Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3) and wheels. And retro-fitting an LSD. My conclusion is that xDrive is good for winter snow conditions, but not any advantage on public roads in good weather. xDrive is like most AWD systems in giving you a 'neutral' sort of handling in terms of over/understeer i.e. it's not biased either way. As a long-time AWD driver I'm happy with the RWD oversteer bias on my M235i Convertible and nowadays, with all the electronics, making a mistake is not so deadly as it was on, say, my Lotus Elise 111s.

If you can afford it, I'd say the retro-fit LSD is worth the money. But I know it's not cheap. I got it more for the summer than the winter and the improvement in handling is noticeable. There are a number of good threads on this - worth taking a look.

Last edited by msej449; 04-03-2020 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      04-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! So basically, RWD is still funner and has better performance than an AWD even in an automatic M240 convertible?
I am not measuring lateral g's in my assessment, but responding to how the car feels. Every pound of weight is working against you, particularly when placed over the front wheels, inducing more understeer, and the AWD mechanicals making the steering feel "heavier". Some folks say they don't feel the difference. I sure did feel it on an A/B back-to-back test drive. I am more interested in this than I am in pure power, so I took the 4 cylinder (with plenty of capability) to lighten the front end further. Not everyone will agree with this article but I do from almost six years of ownership experience.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106

AWD also interferes with swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 version, which really brings the front end alive and makes the steering more responsive and fun.

Lastly, I didn't buy this car for the track or to set personal best 0-60s against a stopwatch. I bought it for being fun to drive...and avoided a 4 Series coupe for being too big and heavy and not fun to drive. It's also why I chose the manual trans, with full understanding that I will never outshift/outperform the outstanding automatic trans available in these cars. I don't care..having too much fun engaging with the car as is.

Here is my idea of a new fun convertible for you, track handling package, color and all (I no longer see the manual trans option....oh, well!) :

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...vhjlnb/summary
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-03-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
makrop150.00
      04-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Hey OP,

You are asking the right questions however in almost every thread like this I find there is this incessant need to take a dump on AWD. This is no different than the M2 vs M240i threads we see all the time: people love to compare cars without accounting for the user experience and the lifestyle of the driver. In your case, you aren't buying to track and you want thrills without working too hard, while having everyday practicality at your disposal should you need it. Am I reading you right? Yes, I hope so!

I have begun to feel that this need to place the RWD over AWD comes from the traditionalist how-daddy-used-to-do mindset than actual performance aspects, and for some reason I find this more pronounced with 2-series drivers than anything else. I assure you, the same applies to the MT fetishists as well, however I tend to give them a pass since having more control over the gear shifts could be a harmless but fun burden, though I personally find it fucking tiring after a while

RWD with an MT will be slower at launches and the juice is hardly worth the squeeze compared to how much effortless joy you can pull from an AWD AT combo. AWD launches, especially in a convertible are ADDICTIVE AF. Period.

Also, you won't be tracking a damn convertible. More than likely you will be running around in suburbia terrorizing hapless soccer moms. You won't be going "sideways" anywhere speedracer. However you will have plenty of opportunities to shoot off from light to light. Get AWD AT convertible and milk those thrills. Have tried carving up backroads with AWD? "Going sideways" becomes tiring real quick as you start wishing your car had that I-got-you-fam planted confidence of an AWD.

There was a thread recently where 2-er drivers were going out of there way, trying really really hard, to prove how "RwD iS juSt aS g0od as Awd in tHe Sn0w". Such bullshit. This thread was 5 pages long or something with mental gymnastics and logic leaps. If you live anywhere you get rainy snowy weather you will be thankful that you have AWD (paired with the right tires of course), and you can still have fun. Put the top down in light (very light!) snow and then tell me

Yes, drivertrain loss is a little bit more, and yes the added weight, especially in a convertible is not welcome, but you are still looking at a car which will EAT any RWD/AT/MT combo at stop-lights, and you will be doing it while the the top is down with style!

Also, I firmly believe that the 2-er was always supposed to be a convertible, but the weirdly tall roof profile was added later on. If you look at the convertible you see the car has even proportions. It seems at peace. When you put the roof on, it almost looks like a cancerous lump growing on top of, an otherwise, pretty roofless proposition.

Anyway, get the AWD AT convertible and enjoy it all year round! Eat up RWD/MT traditionalists on every stop light with no mercy.
Appreciate 4
Maynard3804.50
harma24402.50
Mehim76.50
Jashue187.50
      04-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey OP,

You are asking the right questions however in almost every thread like this I find there is this incessant need to take a dump on AWD. This is no different than the M2 vs M240i threads we see all the time: people love to compare cars without accounting for the user experience and the lifestyle of the driver. In your case, you aren't buying to track and you want thrills without working too hard, while having everyday practicality at your disposal should you need it. Am I reading you right? Yes, I hope so!

I have begun to feel that this need to place the RWD over AWD comes from the traditionalist how-daddy-used-to-do mindset than actual performance aspects, and for some reason I find this more pronounced with 2-series drivers than anything else. I assure you, the same applies to the MT fetishists as well, however I tend to give them a pass since having more control over the gear shifts could be a harmless but fun burden, though I personally find it fucking tiring after a while

RWD with an MT will be slower at launches and the juice is hardly worth the squeeze compared to how much effortless joy you can pull from an AWD AT combo. AWD launches, especially in a convertible are ADDICTIVE AF. Period.

Also, you won't be tracking a damn convertible. More than likely you will be running around in suburbia terrorizing hapless soccer moms. You won't be going "sideways" anywhere speedracer. However you will have plenty of opportunities to shoot off from light to light. Get AWD AT convertible and milk those thrills. Have tried carving up backroads with AWD? "Going sideways" becomes tiring real quick as you start wishing your car had that I-got-you-fam planted confidence of an AWD.

There was a thread recently where 2-er drivers were going out of there way, trying really really hard, to prove how "RwD iS juSt aS g0od as Awd in tHe Sn0w". Such bullshit. This thread was 5 pages long or something with mental gymnastics and logic leaps. If you live anywhere you get rainy snowy weather you will be thankful that you have AWD (paired with the right tires of course), and you can still have fun. Put the top down in light (very light!) snow and then tell me

Yes, drivertrain loss is a little bit more, and yes the added weight, especially in a convertible is not welcome, but you are still looking at a car which will EAT any RWD/AT/MT combo at stop-lights, and you will be doing it while the the top is down with style!...

Anyway, get the AWD AT convertible and enjoy it all year round! Eat up RWD/MT traditionalists on every stop light with no mercy.

One rarely sees a deeper misunderstanding of the opposite point of view.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00
WolfGTI688.50
      04-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
I am not measuring lateral g's in my assessment, but responding to how the car feels. Every pound of weight is working against you, particularly when placed over the front wheels, inducing more understeer, and the AWD mechanicals making the steering feel "heavier". Some folks say they don't feel the difference. I sure did feel it on an A/B back-to-back test drive. I am more interested in this than I am in pure power, so I took the 4 cylinder (with plenty of capability) to lighten the front end further. Not everyone will agree with this article but I do from almost six years of ownership experience.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106

AWD also interferes with swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 version, which really brings the front end alive and makes the steering more responsive and fun.

Lastly, I didn't buy this car for the track or to set personal best 0-60s against a stopwatch. I bought it for being fun to drive...and avoided a 4 Series coupe for being too big and heavy and not fun to drive. It's also why I chose the manual trans, with full understanding that I will never outshift/outperform the outstanding automatic trans available in these cars. I don't care..having too much fun engaging with the car as is.

Here is my idea of a new fun convertible for you, track handling package, color and all (I no longer see the manual trans option....oh, well!) :

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...vhjlnb/summary
Oh god, this is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. The TRADITIONAL enthusiast!

Dude why don't you recommend the OP buys a fucking Miata RF for 35k? Or a Miata Sport for literally less than half the price? If driving dynamics and "handling and feeeel" and "going sideways" are the most important aspects, as you are averse to raw power, than why go with that 4 cylinder pork-butt overpriced budget bimmer? Haha

P.s. full disclosure, despite my jokes, I adore the 228i; drove one and the lightness is sublime but I still LOVE the raw power more
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh god, this is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. The TRADITIONAL enthusiast!

Dude why don't you recommend the OP buys a fucking Miata RF for 35k? Or a Miata Sport for literally less than half the price? If driving dynamics and "handling and feeeel" and "going sideways" are the most important aspects, as you are averse to raw power, than why go with that 4 cylinder pork-butt overpriced budget bimmer? Haha
I see my point continues to be missed. Based on how you have misconstrued and contorted what I wrote, and imagined what I did not write, I don't think you are open to understanding anything with which you don't already agree. Perhaps the OP is more receptive.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      04-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

I see my point continues to be missed. Based on how you have misconstrued and contorted what I wrote, and imagined what I did not write, I don't think you are open to understanding anything with which you don't already agree. Perhaps the OP is more receptive.
I guess

(I am trying soooo hard to not say "Ok boomer" hahaha!)

Edit: jokes aside, I do see your point. The 228i is a delightful experience! I love it. I know exactly why one would recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
despite my jokes
Quote:
I do see your point.

Please, keep them coming. I need them this morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #15
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
despite my jokes
Quote:
I do see your point.

Please, keep them coming. I need them this morning.
Oh you are most welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I just bought a 17' M240 IX and I'm very happy with the AT/AWD combo. Keep in mind, this is my DD and I don't have any desire to pitch out the back end or drift the back 40. I already have a MT/RWD fun car for autocross and mountain carving. I already find myself defending why I didn't get an M2 and the one-too-few pedals and AWD comments. Some of us just want a comfortable, spirited daily driver that doesn't rattle the teeth out of our heads when we go over speed bumps and potholes. I don't want to build up my left leg muscles to twice that of the right when I sit in traffic. I think you'll enjoy an AWD/AT conv just fine. If you have a DD already and this is your "fun" car, then the RWD/MT might be a little more satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I just bought a 17' M240 IX and I'm very happy with the AT/AWD combo. Keep in mind, this is my DD and I don't have any desire to pitch out the back end or drift the back 40. I already have a MT/RWD fun car for autocross and mountain carving. I already find myself defending why I didn't get an M2 and the one-too-few pedals and AWD comments. Some of us just want a comfortable, spirited daily driver that doesn't rattle the teeth out of our heads when we go over speed bumps and potholes. I don't want to build up my left leg muscles to twice that of the right when I sit in traffic. I think you'll enjoy an AWD/AT conv just fine. If you have a DD already and this is your "fun" car, then the RWD/MT might be a little more satisfying.
This guy gets it!

In fact nothing is more fun than RWD/DCT on a track, but then you get an M2C for more or less the same you'd pay for a decked out AWD M240i convertible.

However if convertible is the base, then you won't be tracking it. You get an M204i AWD/AT to terrorize suburbia. One. Stop. Light. At. A. Time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
(I am trying soooo hard to not say "Ok boomer" hahaha!)
This explains so much...

Quote:
In fact nothing is more fun than RWD/DCT on a track, but then you get an M2C for more or less the same you'd pay for a decked out AWD M240i convertible.

However if convertible is the base, then you won't be tracking it. You get an M204i AWD/AT to terrorize suburbia. One. Stop. Light. At. A. Time.
To the OP: We now realize we have input from a nuance-free group member who puts all in the world into two buckets:

1)Best ever/Amazing!
2)Hated it

No wonder the advocacy is for the all-or-none approach, devoid of appreciation for adding a notable degree of fun and enjoyment to daily driving life. There is another path to which you may be more open. The approach I have suggested for consideration (for a like-minded non-tracking, non-drifting, non-stoplight racer) is for maximizing daily driving enjoyment as you commute, go out for pleasure, etc. It is not necessary to have a separate qualified track car, nor equip for the most sedating experience among 2 Series possible...there is a middle ground for maximizing enjoyable time spent. This was actually the underlying premise of the original BMW 2002, the spiritual predecessor of the 2 Series.

Of course, with your location listing no more specific than the country, we don't know if winter climate and hilly terrain will play a role in your decision, which would change the calculus.

Good luck sorting through the various points of view. Enjoy your decision and new car, whatever it may be.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
Jashue187.50
      04-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #19
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

The fact that every one of these "should I" or "shouldn't I" posts leads to pages of overly-emotional points of view tells me people are getting stir crazy with COVID 19. The bottom line is, test drive the cars you're interested in and buy what's going to be the best fit for your purpose. The forum thugs always come out en masse regardless of whatever decision you make. We can all tell you why we made our decision and what makes the most sense from our own individual perspectives. But, you have a different set of circumstances.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy either way, regardless of what the mudslingers say.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #20
ifobd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

0 regrets on awd. Small tweaks to improve handling and increase power and this car is an absolute rocket. So much more confidence near the limits and endless smiles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

The AWD is a notch quicker 0-60 than the auto RWD, because of hookup. The RWD will go tail-out sooner, if you're enough of an um into that sort of thing. The AWD is more fun in the wet, in my opinion, because it is more stable. I'm comparing it to my 135IS, which was RWD/DCT.

In the snow, well, depends as much on tires as anything, but I like having all the wheels doing their bit.

Most days, unless you're wild, you'll not know the difference, I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #22
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
The fact that every one of these "should I" or "shouldn't I" posts leads to pages of overly-emotional points of view tells me people are getting stir crazy with COVID 19. The bottom line is, test drive the cars you're interested in and buy what's going to be the best fit for your purpose. The forum thugs always come out en masse regardless of whatever decision you make. We can all tell you why we made our decision and what makes the most sense from our own individual perspectives. But, you have a different set of circumstances.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy either way, regardless of what the mudslingers say.
Haven't you heard the good news? If you drive fast enough with the top down, the virus cannot stick to you! That's why AWD/AT launches are great for your health!

Appreciate 1