THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What's the. Max power the differential can handle?

03-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

What's the. Max power the differential can handle?

Just a curiosity question. Does anyone know the max hp or torque the stock dif can handle on the f22/m240i?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:04 AM   #2
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Hp is the product of rpm and torque so maximum hp is transferred at a high rpm and high torque. Under ideal loading the capacity is very high if you can avoid some factors;

Excessive torque will exceed the lubricity of the oil.
Excessive rpm is not likely to be a problem.
At high hp, heat will become a problem in time so a race track or towing a load up the
rockies can cause failure.
Shock loading (wheelsman thru a pothole) can cause sudden failure.

This doesn't answer your question but it may explain the lack of answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd find the drag racers and ask them. Usually they can tell you when they broke theirs. I hear more stories of people cooking them rather than really breaking them - some of the hotter factory pony cars will overheat them during a single track session.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
Just a curiosity question. Does anyone know the max hp or torque the stock dif can handle on the f22/m240i?
The internal differential components of the turbo 6 equipped BMWs have remained generally the same with the exception the way the axles are affixed to the diff. There are many turbo I6 BMWs out there pushing 500+ whp/wtq. You rarely hear of them breaking. If something is going to break, it's usually from a high rpm dead spot launch where torque multiplication and shock load are really high, especially in a 6MT. What break is usually an axle or the transmission input shaft, NOT the diff.