THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Pushing back on Preventive Maintenance

04-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Pushing back on Preventive Maintenance

If you drive a BMW as a DD and don't push it, I see little reason why it would need more PM than your average Chevy. That said, dealers make money on expensive PM and some owners are fanatics, or are terrified of breakdowns and huge bills. Having driven a wide variety of cars well past 100,000 miles my experience tells me to steer clear of English and Italian cars and 'happy motoring'.

Track cars are an entirely different situation and cars driven hard are in between. Most BMWs are grocery wagons so...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Outside of regular fluid changes, especially oil changes every 5K miles versus the recommended 10-12K miles, I'd tend to agree. I fluids like coolant, brake fluid, gear lubes in the transmission and differential tend to attract water and/or break down over time and heating and cooling cycles and thus lose some of their effectiveness. Otherwise, I don't see why one wouldn't treat it like a typical Chevy/Ford or Toyota/Honda. In don't do any more maintenance or less maintenance on my BMW or Audi than I do on my GMC truck.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I never hear anyone claim any different, unless you are talking about visiting the dealer and being in their service bay.

BMW's own published maintenance schedules are really not that bad compared to any other brand.
Appreciate 0