THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum I'm actually not that interested in more power

10-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #45
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235ForNow View Post
My non-runflats are called out as 33 front, 38 rear on the door panel.
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1112607
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Keep in mind the OP in that thread is in Sydney, Australia. Apparently BMW has different tire pressure recommendations out there and I know many of their cars come with different tires than those spec'd in the US. They may also recommend different inflations to meet CAFE and make the car understeer more for the terrible US driving public.

Just experiment around see what you like. Keep in mind the tire pressure monitoring system is pretty sensitive and if you have too low a psi, it will lock you out of Sport/Sport+/DSC Off/Traction modes until you add enough air to the tires. My M235 seems to lock me out when the psi gets into the 28psi range.
      10-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #47
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
In case you aren't confused enough yet, my non-RFTs show 35/39.

2018 M240i 2WD w/AT
Attached Images

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      10-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #48
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Keep in mind the tire pressure monitoring system is pretty sensitive and if you have too low a psi, it will lock you out of Sport/Sport+/DSC Off/Traction modes until you add enough air to the tires. My M235 seems to lock me out when the psi gets into the 28psi range.
The tire pressure alerts are sensitive, BUT, they are not set to an absolute value. The do not alarm at a set PSI, like say 30 PSI. They alert when they drop below ~10% of the initial value WHEN THE TPMS RESET IS DONE.

So, if you want to start really low, like at 28 PSI, set that when your tires are cold. Then, run a TPMS reset. That sets a new base value that the alerts will trigger from.

I recently did a track day in near freezing conditions. Tires were 26 PSI when I started, but warming to 34 PSI right where I wanted them after a fast lap. Because I set the TPMS RESET while they were at 26 PSI, I never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #49
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

To go back to this power thing, I might be with you to some extent. I'm not power hungry and more importantly, I don't want to screw up the overall dynamics of the car. Last Friday I put my Dinantronics Sport to stock and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the car is a little slower, but the power is back to be very smooth and linear, more so than I remember. I can go full throttle in 1st and 2nd with much less worry of destroying the tires by the rapid torque surge. 3rd does feel a bit weaker and that is where I'm missing the power.

I'm quite surprised by how much the Dinantronics Sport affects the factory Sport throttle setting. When the Dinantronics Sport is in its Sport or Sport+ setting and you have the Sport throttle setting engaged, the throttle is hyper sensitive and it makes the 6MT rather difficult to drive. When the Dinantronics Sport is in its Sport or Sport+ setting and you're in Comfort throttle setting (Comfort, Traction, DSC Off), the throttle is actually laggier than stock. It's so weird and I guess I didn't realize this was happening until I put Dinantronics into stock (I've owned the device since March and never put it into stock). I was actually getting annoyed by how hard my 6MT was to drive smoothly with the laggy or hyper throttle. Now the 6MT feels great in the Sport throttle with the Dinantronics Sport off. Damn. I think now I'll just buy a catted downpipe (15whp/25wtq with no tune), work on the suspension a bit, and rethink any additional power adding modifications. Maybe I should just get a JB4 and set it to only add power in 3rd and the higher gears. I'll keep the Dinantronics Sport plugged in for the winter months when I can run it in Valet (-3psi) to help with poor weather traction.
      10-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #50
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
The tire pressure alerts are sensitive, BUT, they are not set to an absolute value. The do not alarm at a set PSI, like say 30 PSI. They alert when they drop below ~10% of the initial value WHEN THE TPMS RESET IS DONE.

So, if you want to start really low, like at 28 PSI, set that when your tires are cold. Then, run a TPMS reset. That sets a new base value that the alerts will trigger from.

I recently did a track day in near freezing conditions. Tires were 26 PSI when I started, but warming to 34 PSI right where I wanted them after a fast lap. Because I set the TPMS RESET while they were at 26 PSI, I never had an issue.
I had no idea that the TPMS reset would allow for this. I learned something today. Thank you.
      10-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #51
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

For me, Grip > Power any day of the week. Power is fun, grip is fast

10-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #52
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
To go back to this power thing, I might be with you to some extent. I'm not power hungry and more importantly, I don't want to screw up the overall dynamics of the car. Last Friday I put my Dinantronics Sport to stock and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the car is a little slower, but the power is back to be very smooth and linear, more so than I remember. I can go full throttle in 1st and 2nd with much less worry of destroying the tires by the rapid torque surge. 3rd does feel a bit weaker and that is where I'm missing the power.

I'm quite surprised by how much the Dinantronics Sport affects the factory Sport throttle setting. When the Dinantronics Sport is in its Sport or Sport+ setting and you have the Sport throttle setting engaged, the throttle is hyper sensitive and it makes the 6MT rather difficult to drive. When the Dinantronics Sport is in its Sport or Sport+ setting and you're in Comfort throttle setting (Comfort, Traction, DSC Off), the throttle is actually laggier than stock. It's so weird and I guess I didn't realize this was happening until I put Dinantronics into stock (I've owned the device since March and never put it into stock). I was actually getting annoyed by how hard my 6MT was to drive smoothly with the laggy or hyper throttle. Now the 6MT feels great in the Sport throttle with the Dinantronics Sport off. Damn. I think now I'll just buy a catted downpipe (15whp/25wtq with no tune), work on the suspension a bit, and rethink any additional power adding modifications. Maybe I should just get a JB4 and set it to only add power in 3rd and the higher gears. I'll keep the Dinantronics Sport plugged in for the winter months when I can run it in Valet (-3psi) to help with poor weather traction.

I have a JB4 with Bluetooth adapter I'm taking off. If I upgrade, it will be BM3 with a custom flash for what your speaking of.
Appreciate 0