THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Should I get a 2 Series BMW? Please help...

10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #23
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

2016 M235xi 42,xxx miles

Only problem I had was about a year ago a body controller died. Only symptom was the windshield washer pump stopped working so I took it in thinking the pump went out but turned out the pump wasn't getting power because of the failed body module. I think it was a $700 part and maybe a couple hours tech time but It was fixed under warranty so $0 to me.

Other than that the car has been rock solid even driving it year round in the crazy temperature swings of northern Alaska.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #24
Wanna Beamer
Rep
Drives: iWannaMcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccsco View Post
I have a Honda lover as a family member, I have owned some through time I call them appliances they just do their job with no need for much, but to me not a lot of excitement in the ownership experience ( I know they make the NSX and S2000 just my opinion). I had a VW before my M235 I don't drive a lot so miles were low but it was good enough that I was torn on the Golf R or the M235 and the 7 year warranty on VW was a huge plus for me. At the end of the day this car purchase was about putting a smile on my face when I drove it and for me that the M235. Will it cost more .. probably but everyone trashed talked my E38 for cost to own. I bought it used put put almost 90,000 miles on it and the only maintenance item was a fuel pump ( besides tires and oil changes and front pads). Bottom line will it cost more probably is it worth it to you? Only you know that. I bought my M235 used with 2 years of warranty left. if I have problems I will probably sadly get rid of it, otherwise I expect to keep it for a very long time as the manuals are a dying breed.
Thanks so much for your input!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #25
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony88 View Post
2016 M235xi 42,xxx miles

Only problem I had was about a year ago a body controller died. Only symptom was the windshield washer pump stopped working so I took it in thinking the pump went out but turned out the pump wasn't getting power because of the failed body module. I think it was a $700 part and maybe a couple hours tech time but It was fixed under warranty so $0 to me.

Other than that the car has been rock solid even driving it year round in the crazy temperature swings of northern Alaska.
Ok thanks so much for replying!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #26
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Beamer View Post
And THAT's what I'm afraid of. In other words, is it WORTH taking the risk for short term fun with long term problems, especially past the warranty period. Spending 2K/yr. on car problems is not what I want. But is that the tradeoff when owning a German sports car? High performance for high maintenance costs?
That's the reality of owning a German car. If you can't afford or stomach to spend a few thousand a year in repairs/maintenance then these cars are not for you. Sure, the 2 series currently has a great reliability rating in the publications, but the car has only been out for about 4 years now. BMWs tend not to have issues until around 5 or years. I fully expect the good long term dependability ratings for the 2 series to start to fall as they age. The 2 series shares a TON of parts (drivetrain, electronics, suspension) with the F series 3 and 4 series cars. Those cars were out 2 years before the 2 series and their reliability is starting to slip so expect the same for the 2 series given all the parts bin sharing.

Like I said earlier, if you're a DIYer, you can save a bundle of money fixing these cars yourself. However, seemingly simple things such as replacing the battery require programming of the engine computer or else you run the risk of getting check engine lights. You can't just swap a new battery in. Same goes for when working on electronic components of the car. You MUST disconnect the battery or you risk shorting out things. Germans simply aren't good at considering automotive electrical safeguards. I wouldn't trust a German electrical engineer to wire my Christmas tree LOL

I've accepted the fact that this car will be far more expensive to maintain than my prior Japanese cars, but none of them came remotely close to the feel, driving enjoyment, power, and build quality/robustness that my M235 has. If I wrecked my car today, I'd either pickup a used M2 or order an M2C. It's the only car out there that interests me at the moment and fits my needs.
      10-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Thanks man! I have no doubt that this car IS VERY FUN to drive. Am just concerned about this "talk" of unreliability since having never owned a German car. Have always owned Jap ones(Honda/Mitsu/Mazda)
I owned 4 Lexus vehicles and they were all reliable although I traded every 4 years. My X3 has over 90K on it and it is bullet proof. Regular maintenance after the warranty expired and the only thing I replaced were the rear brakes and tires. Same with 228ix. You are talking to the wrong people my friend. Listen to the actual owners on this forum who have first hand knowledge on its reliability and the high ratings the 2 series got across the board.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #28
Wanna Beamer
Rep

[QUOTE=Rayscott;23858192 You are talking to the wrong people my friend. Listen to the actual owners on this forum who have first hand knowledge on its reliability and the high ratings the 2 series got across the board.[/QUOTE]

Well that's why I DID come here to find out if the "talk" was true or not. Some are good. Some are not so much. TY
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #29
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That's the reality of owning a German car. If you can't afford or stomach to spend a few thousand a year in repairs/maintenance then these cars are not for you. Sure, the 2 series currently has a great reliability rating in the publications, but the car has only been out for about 4 years now. BMWs tend not to have issues until around 5 or years. I fully expect the good long term dependability ratings for the 2 series to start to fall as they age. The 2 series shares a TON of parts (drivetrain, electronics, suspension) with the F series 3 and 4 series cars. Those cars were out 2 years before the 2 series and their reliability is starting to slip so expect the same for the 2 series given all the parts bin sharing.

Like I said earlier, if you're a DIYer, you can save a bundle of money fixing these cars yourself. However, seemingly simple things such as replacing the battery require programming of the engine computer or else you run the risk of getting check engine lights. You can't just swap a new battery in. Same goes for when working on electronic components of the car. You MUST disconnect the battery or you risk shorting out things. Germans simply aren't good at considering automotive electrical safeguards. I wouldn't trust a German electrical engineer to wire my Christmas tree LOL

I've accepted the fact that this car will be far more expensive to maintain than my prior Japanese cars, but none of them came remotely close to the feel, driving enjoyment, power, and build quality/robustness that my M235 has. If I wrecked my car today, I'd either pickup a used M2 or order an M2C. It's the only car out there that interests me at the moment and fits my needs.

Thanks for the feedback! Hmmm, so the pondering continues...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Hmmm, so the pondering continues...
I'm wondering if you Wanna Beamer or Wanna Bimmer?
Do you want 2 wheels or 4?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #31
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
And THAT's what I'm afraid of. In other words, is it WORTH taking the risk for short term fun with long term problems, especially past the warranty period. Spending 2K/yr. on car problems is not what I want. But is that the tradeoff when owning a German sports car? High performance for high maintenance costs?
I found a 2015 228i w/25K non CPO in great condition with factory warranty left.

For a piece of mind I got an extended warranty from the bank.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #32
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

[QUOTE=Wanna Beamer;23860675]Well that's why I DID come here to find out if the "talk" was true or not. Some are good. Some are not so much. TY[/QUOTE]

Yah, if, after all your research regarding the M235/240, your conclusion is "Some are good. Some are not so much", then do yourself a favour and buy something more reliable - the 2-series is not for you.

Name:  Good-bye-smiley549.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  9.4 KB
      10-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #33
williesm
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

I would say most reliable car in it's class. What are you cross-shopping, comparing it to? A Camry? I guess if you considering a Nissan Z, which they have been making 20years. It might be more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #34
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'm wondering if you Wanna Beamer or Wanna Bimmer?
Do you want 2 wheels or 4?

Beamer! I didn't realize Bimmer stood for the bike. No donorcycle for me ty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #35
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williesm View Post
I would say most reliable car in it's class. What are you cross-shopping, comparing it to? A Camry? I guess if you considering a Nissan Z, which they have been making 20years. It might be more reliable.

My top choice is the 235/240(1-2 yrs. old) but the maintenance bills are scaring me. 2nd was used(2-3 yrs. old)Audi S3, but a lil' too much car than I need(i.e., 4D sedan). And recently I've been eying the Golf R. VW has a new 6yr./72k warranty on the 18's and up, and that's some peace of mind that is hard to overlook considering I'll have it for the next 8-10 yrs. A 1-2 yr. old 235/240 and Golf R are fairly close in price. A new loaded Golf R runs about 43k but a new loaded 240i is about 10k higher. I'm assuming that xtra 10k is worth the excitement of driving one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #36
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Beamer! I didn't realize Bimmer stood for the bike. No donorcycle for me ty.
It's the other way around...you Wanna Bimmer for a car!

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/referen...er-beemer.aspx
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
A new loaded Golf R runs about 43k but a new loaded 240i is about 10k higher. I'm assuming that xtra 10k is worth the excitement of driving one.
We have a 2016 Golf R and 2017 M240i, the M240I is definitely worth the extra money. Golf R is still a good car, but I drive the M240I when I don't need the versatility of the hatch.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #38
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Bummer for Wanna Beamer.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #39
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
I had leased a 2015 228 xdrive vert drove it very hard all the time avg. mpg was 12. Never had any issues. One safety recall for a cable on the rag-top and a taillight replacement because of a short circuit.
I Loved that car so I leased another 2018 2 series vert
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #40
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Hello,

Newbie here and wanted to ask your opinion on whether I should buy a BMW or not. I'm looking at the M235/240 specifically, either a 2016 or 2017. However, I've heard from previous BMW owners AND mechanics who say they are NOT very reliable especially when they reach the end of the basic warranty period. The mechanic states he sees a lot of turbo issues/replacements and other mechanical problems with theses "lower end" models. Don't get me wrong every car has problems that pop up from time to time but from what I've been hearing these 2 Series models are "junk" and made with cheap parts that break easily. I LOVE the look of the M235 and 240's but I'm SERIOUSLY reconsidering my move to buy one after what Ive heard. I plan on keeping my next car for at least 10 yrs., and I only drive about 8K/yr. I just don't want to have to visit the svc. dept. often even under the warranty period. SO is it true that these 2 series have seen their fair share of issues? Would YOU buy another one? Or is it just a hit or miss kinda philosophy? The general consensus is that German made cars are far less reliable than their Japanese counterpart. I thought I'd ask real owners of this brand and series what THEY think. They're very reliable in performance BUT are they as reliable in build/mechanical wise? too? DO you sacrifice one for the other? Is "German engineering" just a myth? Please help me decide. Even though VW is German made too, their new 6yr./72K basic warranty is hard to look past. (I've also been eyeing the Golf R) Thanks!
There are more reliable options. That said, I believe the 2 series is just as reliable or more reliable than other BMWs.

You take a risk owning any car out of warranty. But BMW is going to be much more expensive to fix than say, a Honda. Both parts and labor.

I'm on my 2nd BMW, the first one (07 335i) I would not have kept past warranty. The n54 motor had too many problems. High pressure fuel pump and head gasket replaced on that one.

My 2016 228i msport has been trouble free so far. Im still up in the air if i want to keep it past warranty. I still love the car and it does so many things well. Still love to just look at it, I do want to keep it for along time but I also have other wants and needs.

These kinds of cars never make financial sense, but it's all in how bad you want it.

Good luck on your choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #41
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Wanna, you have received some excellent feedback from the group here.

A few summary points:

1. The 2 Series, based on surveys and owner mileages near 100K, is a solid car. Mine has 40K and only one minor issue, and regular on-schedule maintenance. If it is anywhere close to my old Audi in terms of quality (and I believe it will be), I expect to get at least 250K on it before I replace it. That is part of the reason I bought a BMW! The engine on the M235/240 is pretty much indestructible if you take good care of it. It is tried and tested.
2. All of your choices are good ones.
3. Maintenance is expensive. My '01 B5S4 that I drove 270K ended up at about the same monthly maintenance rate as a Camry; but I do 90% of my own work. I also never cracked the engine or turbos open, but I change my oil every 5K religiously, never matted it when the engine was cold, and changed out everything when I did my timing belt service as a precaution. My maintenance was meticulous and the car was excellent to the day I sold it and drove like a much younger and lower mileage car. I started my car life with a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe, so I learned about PM very early, and often.
4. If you are taking your car to the dealer for everything, in all of the three examples you give, maintenance will be a significant expense if you do it right and do not put off scheduled PM. Owning any car requires good maintenance practice IMHO, if you want longevity and reliability.
5. If you have the cash and income to afford any of these cars, pick the one you like the most. They are all good. As I noted previously, I really wanted to buy a more "practical" car (hence the Golf R; my son has a '15 GTI that he adores and I like to borrow) but the driving experience in the M235 overruled any pragmatic thoughts I had. But, we also have a Tundra for hauling junk around and an X5 (wife's) to haul people around so that is how I rationalized buying a coupe.
6. If you are worried about a warranty and the car is a POS, a warranty won't matter if it is in the shop 30% of the time. I have had a few of these (Omni GLH Turbo, Renault Fuego Turbo for example) out of the 40+ cars I have had over the years. I dumped them both (and honestly could not afford to at the time since we were young and broke). It was not worth the aggravation, although they were both fun to drive in their own right. Or, buy an extended warranty from the dealer.
7. If you want to save some money on the car and want reliability and lower maintenance expense, buy a Toyota. Excellent car, reliable and reasonable maintenance and operation costs. Less sophisticated and sporting than a BMW or other German marques but bulletproof. My truck has 215K on it and I believe it is just broken in...

If you find a good independent mechanic (we have one close to our house that is excellent) when you need one, it will save you a lot of cash.

Done with the random thoughts...Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #42
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
We have a 2016 Golf R and 2017 M240i, the M240I is definitely worth the extra money. Golf R is still a good car, but I drive the M240I when I don't need the versatility of the hatch.

Nice. You have the best of both worlds then!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/referen...er-beemer.aspx

oops, guess I need to change my "handle"
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
Wanna Beamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
There are more reliable options. That said, I believe the 2 series is just as reliable or more reliable than other BMWs.

You take a risk owning any car out of warranty. But BMW is going to be much more expensive to fix than say, a Honda. Both parts and labor.

I'm on my 2nd BMW, the first one (07 335i) I would not have kept past warranty. The n54 motor had too many problems. High pressure fuel pump and head gasket replaced on that one.

My 2016 228i msport has been trouble free so far. Im still up in the air if i want to keep it past warranty. I still love the car and it does so many things well. Still love to just look at it, I do want to keep it for along time but I also have other wants and needs.

These kinds of cars never make financial sense, but it's all in how bad you want it.

Good luck on your choice.
Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0