THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dealer says can't read fault codes from last week?

10-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Dealer says can't read fault codes from last week?

Posted details in the N20 section, but hoping to get more input on this aspect - dealership says they can't read any details of the 'drivetrain malfunction' warning/limp mode from this weekend, because "I've started it several times, and that will have wiped all the old codes". Check engine was lit, but not now. It is driving fine now, but this has happened 3 times, and I'd like to find out why.

I appreciate that most will be skeptical, as am I, but really seeking input from some of you out there with firm tech knowledge. If dealership holds to this line, what are my options to move up the tech 'food chain' for a better answer? FWIW, Mike Miller thinks it may be a soft battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Buy an OBDII reader, preferably one that can read all BMW codes, and then you can read all the codes as soon as they appear. I've got the Torque App which is only $5, but there are some specific BMW codes it can't read or even pick up. Something like Carly (https://www.mycarly.com/) should allow you to read all codes.

The fact that the codes are coming on and off is a little bizarre, but if they don't stay on, there's not much BMW can do if they are aren't being held in the memory. By reading the codes yourself, you can tell BMW the code ID numbers and from there they can start pinpointing the specific system causing the issue(s).
      10-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

And, Carly allows you to save a full scan report as a pdf. It's very nice. I have their proprietary bluetooth adapter and full pro app for Android. I've been very pleased with it.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      10-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
gt0186b
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Mine had something similar, It ended up being the clamp on the air intake hose to the turbo. when mine completely failed the CEL stayed on and I definitely noticed changes as it moved around while driving.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00