THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trunk Rattle

10-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Trunk Rattle

Anyone have any type of annoying trunk rattle in their m240/m235s?
It happens when I hit a hard bump and it sounds like my license plate rattles but I have it secured with 4 screws and there is nothing loose there.
I then thought it was the rear seat release handle so I taped that but it persisted. I then put blankets down inside the trunk, as the floor cover of the trunk is very light I thought that it could be popping up and down but that hasn't helped and it has a slightly more metallic rattle so I don't think thats it.
Ive removed everything and taped anything loose I could find but it persists. SO annoying!
Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I get a metallic rattle in my 230i when I drive over the cobblestone-like pavement at the entrance to my complex.

Sounds like my license plate but it seems to be secure at close inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I've hunted this for years. Gave up, I just turn the music louder.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Did you look at the rear parcel shelf speakers? I have a similar rattle as well. I plan to look at my speakers over the holidays
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
bluesman8266
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
Anyone have any type of annoying trunk rattle in their m240/m235s?
It happens when I hit a hard bump and it sounds like my license plate rattles but I have it secured with 4 screws and there is nothing loose there.
I then thought it was the rear seat release handle so I taped that but it persisted. I then put blankets down inside the trunk, as the floor cover of the trunk is very light I thought that it could be popping up and down but that hasn't helped and it has a slightly more metallic rattle so I don't think thats it.
Ive removed everything and taped anything loose I could find but it persists. SO annoying!
Any help would be appreciated.
I saw this a while back and sounds like you're problem.

Rattling Issue. Just wanted to post this in case someone is experiencing the same issue or for future reference. Every so often I would hear a metal on metal rattle when hitting a speed bump or pothole. I took it in and the BMW Tech identified that the problem was with the Parking Brake Expanding Lock mechanism on my driver's side (left) parking brake assembly. The pin that holds the mechanism together fell off and the parts were bouncing around. Below is a pic of the a new part not of my defective part.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
SheriffBudLongneck
Rep

I have this too and can't isolate it after looking at the rear speakers and third brake light assembly. Of course the dealer "could not replicate" last week during my annual service visit. I guess the roads of Montgomery County are just too smooth compared to the moonscape in DC...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Good luck finding that sound. I had the most irritating clunking sound that took the dealership 4 visits and basically tearing the car apart to find. They originally thought it was suspension related but it ended up being the hood hinge of all things. They had my car for 8 days to find and fix. Of the 3 BMW's I've owned, this F22 has had the most issues by a landslide. They don't make them like they used to. My 2011 E92 335i was perfect except for the konwn Bosch coil issue from brand new up until the day I sold it 6 years later.

I have a trunk/rear deck ticking sound that the dealership could not replicate on the 3 visits for that issue. I just learned to deal with it by turning the music up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
SheriffBudLongneck
Rep

I found the source of my rattle.

This weekend I installed a dashcam and stashed the wire around the trim. In doing so I investigated the rattle a bit more found it was originating from one of the black car seat latch covers behind one of the rear headrests. It was only the left one, but tapping anywhere on the rear deck was sufficient to make it rattle like a license plate (which is probably why I'd over looked the little plastic cover - I didn't see how it could be the source of a decidedly metallic noise).

I crammed some tissue under there (though felt or even electric tape might also work) and that was sufficient to keep the thing still enough that the noise is now gone.

It was so straightforward I can't believe I didn't identify this fix sooner. I realize we may all be enduring different rattles, but I hope that solution helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Yeah I taped those down awhile back. Unfortunately it wasn't my source of rattle but still helped overall. I also taped down the latches on the interior roof of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep

I removed the body from my trunk and the banging, screaming, and rattling stopped
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      01-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
Bud miller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

i looked at my rear seat headrests, i noticed that with the headrest folded
down it kinda rattles so i put some tape on the metal area and plastic slot
that the headrest folds into when it is down...
seemed to help..
i would describe my rattle as coming from the passenger rear seat area
when i would go over rough road and especially if a passenger was riding in the front seat of my car..
just an ideal..
      01-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
SheriffBudLongneck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I removed the body from my trunk and the banging, screaming, and rattling stopped
If you pack a second one in there, I'm told it can stop the first from moving around and causing any annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriffBudLongneck View Post
If you pack a second one in there, I'm told it can stop the first from moving around and causing any annoyance.
Depending on their size. It might take 3 skinny people or maybe one large one will do
Appreciate 1