THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2022: Austrian GP - Spielberg (July 10)

07-12-2022, 02:23 PM   #353
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Sainz panics, he should have put steering lock into the gravel or wall. F1 drivers need to be aware and react. Other F1 drivers have reacted correctly when this presents.

Carlito panicked and worried about damaging the car, he then responds by blaming the volunteers in the moment (odd reaction while in the moment).

Sounds like a spoiled child who forgets he is responsible for his safety.

Forget track limits, it appears F1 drivers need a basic course in safety and common sense. Cars have become so safe, drivers forget how to respond to dangers like fire, accidents, and walking around a “hot track”.
I've been thinking that all along too that Sainz should have put it on full left steering lock, I don't know why I didn't mention it before.
There is no park brake and he seemed confused why he couldn't put it in gear but he can't with engine and hydraulics off and wasted time stabbing the brake, the marshal realising this held onto a wheel so he could get out without losing his balance then applying the extinguisher which actually he did everything perfect on his own.
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6728.50
Bubbles2753.00
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #354
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I'll be at the next game singing, "Daar moet een piemel in!" to the Giants fans
Dutch football fans insulting a flight attendant:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Nw51hZDaZYE
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #355
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Geez
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60060.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #356
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Haas must be keeping those Ferrari PU's at a plausible tune without problems though I gather all Ferrari PU's are going back to Italy in light of Sainz's spectacular failure (on a PU that had only done two races) to be inspected as a precaution.

..and thank you for the appreciations
MAG: "I had a bit of an engine issue all race so I was just praying to God that it wouldn’t blow up, which it didn’t, and I’m super thankful for that, that I was able to finish the race with that problem."
(https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...XmRjwHBSE.html).

Possibly Ferrari will detune their engines a notch for reliability reasons.

Mattia Binotto:
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #357
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Bunch of fucking losers
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #358
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
MAG: "I had a bit of an engine issue all race so I was just praying to God that it wouldn’t blow up, which it didn’t, and I’m super thankful for that, that I was able to finish the race with that problem."
(https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...XmRjwHBSE.html).

Possibly Ferrari will detune their engines a notch for reliability reasons.

Mattia Binotto:
We don't know how higher the red Ferrari PU's are tuned or built to the Scuderia specs compared to customer spec but Mag's could be more specific in what exactly the problem was with his one rather than just saying 'I thought it would blow up'.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #359
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
We don't know how higher the red Ferrari PU's are tuned or built to the Scuderia specs compared to customer spec but Mag's could be more specific in what exactly the problem was with his one rather than just saying 'I thought it would blow up'.
Article of January 2022:

"Binotto says 2022 Ferrari ‘Superfast’ PU has a lot of innovation
2 January 2022 | https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/01...of-innovation/

With the Formula 1 engine freeze of 2022 six months away, Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto is confident that they have made a breakthrough with their Power Unit in 2021 and promises more performance to be unleashed in 2022.

Winless since Sebastian Vettel triumphed at the 2019 Singapore Grand Prix, but since then the German was dismissed from Maranello and found refuge at Silverstone-based Aston Martin.
Also disappearing – after an incredible spell in 2019 in which Charles Leclerc added two victories that season – was the performance when the Italian team was nabbed apparently breaking the rules. A secret deal with the FIA brought the PU into check, but it was never the same again.
2020 was a toil for F1’s most successful team fallen on hard times. They finished sixth in the constructors’ championship that year.
But 2021 was better, and in fact, got better and better with every race, so much so Leclerc and Carlos Sainz managed to secure third in the 2021 F1 constructors’ title race, overcoming a similarly resurgent McLaren team.
Their great rivals are also on the up, both grand teams eager to again challenge for F1 world championships at the highest level.
Thus this past season Ferrari focussed all energy on developing the PU since the start of the season, with an eye on 2022. Chassis and aero, the last of this rules generation were mostly ignored to allow maximum focus on developing the ‘Superfast’ engine package.

Binotto: I think we’ve made a big step in PU
Speaking to Motorsport-Magazin, Binotto explained the change of the backroom strategy: “Originally it was our intention to use this power unit, which we are developing for 2022, in the last races of the season, for example in the last three races.
But after the summer break, much earlier than expected, Ferrari began work on the new engine bolted to the SF21 and, according to Binotto, this was an important factor: “I think we’ve made a big step in PU.
“Because if you compare it to the past, in 2020 the Power Unit was our big weakness and we were a long way behind. If you look at where we are today, then the developments are obvious.”
Indeed, the newfound power allowed Ferrari to gain the upper hand over McLaren in the latter half of the season. While the British team scored a famous one-two, painfully on Red home soil – at Monza – the Italian team was more reliable, but in the end, they saw off the challenge to take third.
Binotto reflected on the upsurge in fortunes: “The fact that we manage to do this, eight races before the end, was a great achievement by the team, which felt the pressure working as hard as it could to introduce the engine as early as possible.”

Binotto: I’m pretty sure that we can make further improvements
In what will be music to Tifosi ears, there is still more to come from the package in the months remaining to develop before the freeze, Binotto added: “I’m pretty sure that we can make further improvements.
And the Ferrari team principal promised: “What I can say about the 2022 Power Unit is: Believe me, there is a lot of innovation in it.”
ScuderiaFans shed light on the situation: “The Maranello team’s engineers have decided to enter the new era of F1 with a power unit that will be very innovative: beyond the architecture of the supercharging system that will see the separation of turbine and compressor, following a concept well tested by Mercedes during the hybrid years.
There is the ambition to introduce the compressor inside the intake box, with an unprecedented configuration of the upper part of the endothermic 6-cylinder that will also greatly favour aerodynamics.
“The group of technicians headed by Wolf Zimmermann who deals with advanced solutions, has also studied a version that has been defined as ‘Superfast’ because it will adopt a combustion chamber capable of ensuring a phase of explosion with very fast ignition times, getting closer and closer to the principles known in diesel engines, without arriving at the HCCI solution that could easily do without the spark plug to ignite the spark.
With the ‘Superfast’ engine, Ferrari should improve combustion thanks to turbulent motions that can positively influence the speed of flame propagation, giving more homogeneity to the air-petrol mixture and to the combustion phase.”

In reality, bench tests carried out so far on ‘Superfast’ have given discordant results both in terms of performance and reliability
“In Maranello, they are convinced that the solution is right for the future, but the time available for development is not much and we must not take risks if the 2022 unit will have to undergo a freeze without the possibility of development until 2024.
“It is for this reason that Enrico Gualtieri, head of engine engineers, would have decided to keep the innovation in the upper part of the engine (the compressor in the intake box), but to launch a more traditional combustion chamber that starts from the solutions developed to date.
“As the bench tests are limited by regulation, there will be time until June to carry out the two combustion chamber options in parallel, but the definitive configuration will have to be chosen by the beginning of the summer.
“The feeling is that the version of the 6-cylinder ‘Superfast’ can be put in a drawer even for the turn that the rules are taking.”

Formula 1 needs a strong Ferrari sooner rather than later
The Scuderia Fans report continues: “Ferrari has always been at the forefront of launching innovative ideas in F1, but the ambitions of the technicians must be recalibrated according to the moment conditioned by the effects of the Covid pandemic that have imposed very heavy constraints on the design imagination.
“Having a revolutionary power unit that fails to be completed in time for next year is a risk that they cannot afford to take in Maranello. It’s right, therefore, to have foreseen a parachute.”
While F1 wallows in newfound energy and popularity thanks to an epic 2021 season between newly crowned F1 World Champion Max Verstappen and defeated Lewis Hamilton, the reality is with Ferrari in the mix that audience would receive a massive boost.
With the new rules package intent on narrowing the gap between the ‘Haves’ and the ‘Have Nots’ which Ferrari, under Binotto, are expected to be players again. F1 needs a strong Ferrari, a winning Ferrari, sooner rather than later. Hopefully ‘Superfast’ does the business this forthcoming season."
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #360
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Article of January 2022:

"Binotto says 2022 Ferrari ‘Superfast’ PU has a lot of innovation
2 January 2022 | https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/01...of-innovation/
Thank you for putting that on Artemis and with all the PU's going back to Italy Binotto and Ferrari have a headache with ''Having a revolutionary PU that fails to be completed in time for next year''.
They have a problem.
Appreciate 3
Artemis29407.00
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #361
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Thank you for putting that on Artemis and with all the PU's going back to Italy Binotto and Ferrari have a headache with ''Having a revolutionary PU that fails to be completed in time for next year''.
They have a problem.
Positive my friend . But actually they have a 'BIG problem with the FIA engine freeze regulation .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60060.50
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #362
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Positive my friend . But actually they have a 'BIG problem with the FIA engine freeze regulation .
If MAG was having a problem as he said with his de-tuned PU (compared to red Ferrari's ones) then for sure as you say it's a big problem for them with the approaching PU freeze.
Appreciate 2
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #363
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
If MAG was having a problem as he said with his de-tuned PU (compared to red Ferrari's ones) then for sure as you say it's a big problem for them with the approaching PU freeze.
Kmag may say "de-tuned" PU but it was jaw dropping like he fought with HAM's improved and faster Mercedes .

So ...It looked (suddenly) like the resurrection of the HAAS car .
And Mick was also there with his Ferrari PU...

IMHO. Ferrari won't say it to us ,if they pulled more ponies from that PU .
And actually It's really necessary if they want beat MAX before It's too late .
In other words : BINO knows that the clock is ticking .

With still 11 races to go I fear the worst for Ferrari , because I'm pretty sure Ferrari is playing Russian Roulette !

Don't get me wrong , don't want to see them blow . I just don't want that MAX wins his second WDC title by blown Ferrari engines ...
On the other hand : MAX got 2 DNF's as well .

One thing is for sure : That '22 Ferrari superfast engine is fast . Very fast and actually they are having a WDC car .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
M5Rick60060.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 04:49 PM   #364
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Kmag may say "de-tuned" PU but it was jaw dropping like he fought with HAM's improved and faster Mercedes .

So ...It looked (suddenly) like the resurrection of the HAAS car .
And Mick was also there with his Ferrari PU...

IMHO. Ferrari won't say it to us ,if they pulled more ponies from that PU .
And actually It's really necessary if they want beat MAX before It's too late .
In other words : BINO knows that the clock is ticking .

With still 11 races to go I fear the worst for Ferrari , because I'm pretty sure Ferrari is playing Russian Roulette !

Don't get me wrong , don't want to see them blow . I just don't want that MAX wins his second WDC title by blown Ferrari engines ...
On the other hand : MAX got 2 DNF's as well .

One thing is for sure : That '22 Ferrari superfast engine is fast . Very fast and actually they are having a WDC car .
No one team can feel that sorry for another team however tough it looks for them (look at Merc celebrating winning at '21 Silverstone with Max shaken and bruised on a bed ) and fate can dial in at any time also for RB with Max and Checo's car failures.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #365
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I found a translation

What language is this?
This should be your wallpaper my friend !
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
M5Rick60060.50
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #366
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

BINO has spoken ..
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M5Rick60060.50
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #367
Artemis
Rep

Amazing: professional photographer explains and shows how he managed, rather by chance, to photograph the Sainz fire accident sequence.

Lucky escape for Sainz:

Name:  Sainz_Austria_2022_1.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  Sainz_Austria_2022_2.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  910.5 KB
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 03:13 AM   #368
M5Rick
General
Rep

Analysts Brundle and Palmer must have been having too much beer also with their latest comments.
Palmer saying that Russell didn't deserve the paltry 5 second penalty for punting Perez off agreeing that Checo gave him plenty of room on the outside!
Brundle said Leclerc should have kept quiet about his throttle as RB would know about it... a sticking throttle. Both of them are talking absolute cock with their banter.
Appreciate 2
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 03:14 AM   #369
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
A circuit is a circuit and its limits are imaginary walls. If there is a real wall right next to a track limit line, a severe penalty is immediately served in kind: the driver crashes into the wall. Self-inflicted.

We need more gravel pits, grass and foam obstacles to stop the repeated speed gaining abuse by all drivers. The penalties should even be tightened to enforce drivers to stay on the circuit. The rule is legitimate - it's the drivers who repeatedly abuse the rules. The black and white diagonal flag should be shown after a 2nd, instead of a 4th, noted violation (more particularly if there is no justification for a track limits violation, to be distinguished from being forced off-track by a competitor).

For the moment it's like tennis: only if the ball is fully beyond the line, it's out. If the ball still touches the line for a fraction, it is still "in". In F1, as long as 1 wheel touches even the outside part of the line, it's admitted. Not as strict as in football: if a part of the ball passes your goal line, you take a goal. Hit the armcos in for example Monaco, and your race risks to be over or substantially compromised. As said, stewards need not imposing a penalty for this - the armco will do that at once.

You got to 'draw the line' somewhere. Alike the speed limit in the pitlane imposed for safety reasons: 80 km/h is 80 km/h. Drive faster and you'll get a penalty. All drivers hypothetically speeding in the pitlane, would not per se mean that the safety rule should be revised - drivers should adapt to the safety rule, rather than the other way around.

Example of repeated speed gaining abuse at a time when track limits violations were not as enforced as nowadays:
yes basically what im saying putting a gravel/grass part or something.. i cant only see the fault on drivers here.. im not saying there should a wall or something.. but when you put the white line and a huuuge curb there ll be a problem..

remember Spa's old bus stop chicane.. they were jumping through the chicane cutting white lines.. for many years.. if there is a curb you use it while racing..

problem starts when you keep seeing almost all the grid getting warnings and penalties.. cars are heavy, competition is high and cars are pretty fast..

why dont we see such penalties on the last corner of Melbourne for example.. yes there is a wall there.. it doesnt have to be that way.. just putting smaller curbs and then a run off area can take away this drama..

for tennis part.. i see what you mean but in tennis lines are straight or in football.. on track and corners lines are not always paralel + track itself can get wider and tighter according the track.. and actually we dont see such problems with sharp 90 degree corners.. because things are less dramatic in that setup..

i agree it should be clear-cut rules or setups on track.. but judging from cameras to see if one wheel is on still on the line is causing such ridiculous moments like in A1.. and seeing things only from one side is not the right solution.. on track you push all the way..

and the track itself should set boundaries.. not drivers imagination where car ll be on the exit..

actually such problems started to occur after cars getting much faster and new generations tracks or updated ones.. and if there is a multiple layouts on a track and if that corner overlaps with other ones straight we see much wider abuse.. but i cant fully blame drivers..
      07-13-2022, 04:39 AM   #370
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
yes basically what im saying putting a gravel/grass part or something.. i cant only see the fault on drivers here.. im not saying there should a wall or something.. but when you put the white line and a huuuge curb there ll be a problem.
Same on normal roads: imagine a car approaching on the other side partially on your lane or, even worse, with all four wheels on your lane. Crash. Other driver claiming that "it's OK because at least 1 wheel was still touching a fraction of the middle line". We all agree that that would be an absurd excuse. The white line is an imaginary wall.

OK, no oncoming traffic on race circuits. But the point is, if you need to negotiate a corner, you must adapt your speed to stay on track - it ain't an option, it's mandatory. Same on a mountain pass: mismanage self-restraint and/or miscalculate speed in a turn and you either end up against the mountain wall or go airborne. It's as simple as that. Same with a pilot performing a looping at low altitude: miscalculate height and speed, and you'll hit the ground. No escape possible, except for pulling the ejection handle.

The weight of the F1 car is no excuse. F1 drivers are supposed to know the dynamics of their cars - it's their job. The thing is, F1 drivers deliberately violate track limits to gain a speed advantage. It's cheating by expanding the ideal race line. If all other drivers respect the track limits, a violator will gain an advantage by using more space when negotiating a turn: higher speed on turn-in, higher speed going through the turn and accelerating quicker on turn-out. And using a fraction less brakes. It's unfair.

The thing is, there is the common reasoning: "Hey, if he gets away with it, then I'll do it too."

This habit of track limit violations must stop. Plain and simple: a track is a track and its limits are limits. If a driver fails to adapt his speed in negotiating a turn for no justifiable reason, strip him of that speed gain advantage by imposing a penalty. That will make him think twice next time around.

Name:  Eject.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  53.7 KB

A gravel trap right next to the curbs, and you won't see this kind of abuse again (Bahrain Grand Prix of March 28, 2021 - Race win and no penalty):
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 06:15 AM   #371
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Analysts Brundle and Palmer must have been having too much beer also with their latest comments.
Palmer saying that Russell didn't deserve the paltry 5 second penalty for punting Perez off agreeing that Checo gave him plenty of room on the outside!
Brundle said Leclerc should have kept quiet about his throttle as RB would know about it... a sticking throttle. Both of them are talking absolute cock with their banter.
There is news about the PU from Sainz..

BINO said : The Maranello's research team found that the PU from Sainz failed by the same failure as Charlie at Azerbaijan Baku , and the Ferrari PU is completely lost !
That's why Sainz gets a grid penalty at the France GP .

He further said :This means that the issue still isn't solved !

Personaly I think that's bad news from Maranello ..

Appreciate 4
M5Rick60060.50
DrFerry6728.50
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 06:27 AM   #372
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

BINO said : The Maranello's research team found that the PU from Sainz failed by the same failure as Charlie at Azerbaijan Baku , and the Ferrari PU is completely lost !

They made a wrong turn somewhere in their quest to lighten the 1-75 with just a little too much weight off the PU and the very tricky injection for the new E10 and now they are paying the price.
The big question is if they have another new design PU somewhere and reading Ferrari's statement that Artemis posted I don't think there is, with them saying the current PU wasn't completely finished 100% b/c of covid and other hold ups and it's not just one time that manual work staff at Maranello have gone on strike over pay and conditions.
Appreciate 2
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 07:07 AM   #373
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

Other bad news for BINO is that RBR are bringing in more updates to Paul Ricard in the form of yet further re-designed side pod flaps to reduce drag and more for Max's home race at Spa. Merc is no threat only except for their cheat ramming to slow up RBR.
I saw the Petronas tee shirted drunk at Spielberg jumping with joy as Lec overtook Max.
Appreciate 2
NYG10739.50
      07-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #374
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
They made a wrong turn somewhere in their quest to lighten the 1-75 with just a little too much weight off the PU and the very tricky injection for the new E10 and now they are paying the price.
The big question is if they have another new design PU somewhere and reading Ferrari's statement that Artemis posted I don't think there is, with them saying the current PU wasn't completely finished 100% b/c of covid and other hold ups and it's not just one time that manual work staff at Maranello have gone on strike over pay and conditions.
All F1 cars are driven on the limit. It's a matter of striking the right balance: sacrificing a bit of performance as quid pro quo for engine reliability - go out of scope and the engine may fail.

Same goes for weight reduction: make the engine less 'robust' and it may fail.
NYG10739.50